Games with good bow action

Hey guys, looking for your suggestions on some recent games that have good bow action on PC. I always like playing the ranger so any ideas would be good. I’m thinking action games mostly such as far cry primal or assassin’s creed : origins (how is the bow action in these?). I’ve already done lots of Mount and Blade which had great bow action.

Ideally, I would like something with more realistic physics such as Mount and Blade and one where the bow can be at least one of your main weapons in-game.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alex.

Do you want first-person or 3rd-person bow shooting?

more action-gamey like

Or more “medieval RPG” like

Not sure about the realism here, but the short-time I’ve played I love the mechanics.

an older game I played a lot with a bow was, or at least bow was my primary choice. There are others.

I especially liked it when they looked around for the shooter and couldn’t find me.

While it’s not recent or maybe the best example of what you’re looking for, my favorite bow is in Gears of War. It’s got explosive tips, so you can stick an enemy and the watch them explode a few seconds later, or you can land an arrow near an enemy and hit them with some splash damage. But they aren’t really useful as a primary weapon, too slow to draw and ammo is scarce. Great sniping weapon though.

Skyrim (with Requiem mod), Far Cry: Primal

ACO has 4 bow types, none of which are very realistic, but the two I use are a lot of fun. They are basically machine gun bow and sniper bow. The sniper bow is very viable as a stealth weapon (even before you get arrow steering :) and the machine gun bow is good for panic situations. There’s also a fair emphasis on setting people and areas on fire, with plentiful ways of lighting arrows and spilling oil. Shotgun bow also exists… I can’t remember what the fourth type does. If you haven’t played ACO you should in any case. It’s a very nice rendition of old timey Egypt :)

Metal Gear Survive has some decent bow-on-zombie action.

You can use it as your main weapon, it doesn’t alert enemies, you can pick back up arrows and there are multiple types: molotov arrows, grenade arrows, drill arrows, etc.

The game he is abbreviating is:

Thanks all

Not sure if you can still call that weapon a “bow”, but Crysis 3 would be another option.

Never played Crysis 3, is that a small RPG launcher on the bow? :D

Nothing new to recommend, so I’ll second some of the others in this thread.

As a bow aficionado, the two Tomb Raider games are amazing and the pinnacle of my bows in games experience of late. Especially – and this seems like a little thing but it’s my favorite – the way you can not only upgrade your bow through crafting, but it changes the appearance of your bow…and also you actually feel like your bow is definitely upgraded.

AC: Origins is also very good. The bow here isn’t an afterthought, and it’s also quite satisfying.

And finally, Skyrim with a good mod (Bateau recommends a good one!) is terrific.

I’d say Horizon Zero Dawn is what you are looking for but it’s PS4 only. Last of Us remastered also has some good bow action.

Bows took over videogames one year a while back. Google tells me it’s 2012.

I haven’t really played it yet, but did the 2014 Thief reboot still have a great bow, like the originals did? Or was that one of the things they fucked up?

If VR is an option, In Death is excellent. There are a few others that are pretty good too.

Oh yeah, speaking of VR, there’s whatever this is I found out the other day:

Ew. That cover picture.

Yeah, I saw that one and its excessively violent pic - getting good reviews though! Will keep an eye on it though the bullet time in the trailer seems a little out of place.

Try playing Dark Souls with a bow. If not, Crysis 3 is definitely a good backup option. Then there is Shadow of Mordor… I suppose… it is cheap, after all.

Look at this madman here.