Games you can’t/won't play for personal or emotional reasons

Generally when you think you might be the only one on the Internet who does something some way, it turns out to be the most common thing.

Wow. I hadn’t seen that before. Wishlisted.

Lol, I did some crazy mental gymnastics to play GTA Vice City! I love the 80s music, basically in my head said I was a undercover cop and wouldn’t hurt pedestrians, rarely did a car jack and if I did I pretended I flashed a badge as I kicked them out. Cops chasing me was me keeping my cover, same for evil stuff during missions. I loved the music in this game, and the setting. The only one I played LOL

I used to run a political action committee and an attorney for the Democratic Party told me that I was pretty good but that my problem was that I “lacked a criminal mind.” Explains why I suck at playing bad guys, I guess.

#badgeofhonor

Mine is almost the reverse… An old friend from high school described me as “sneaky, like Mallory Archer.” Then he kept insisting it was a compliment.

I think it shows more about the type of person he is and what he values. He’s currently a lawyer working in the executive branch.

As I get older and slower, I like to think of myself as a fairly decent person. I don’t have smarts left to be proud of. :)

I can’t count the number of times I replayed that one mission, trying desperately to save my wingman. It finally sunk it that it was a scripted plot point and I let it go, grumbling about jerk game designers toying with my emotions.

Yeah, I hated that so much.

I have a colleague who always assumes everyone is lying, that they have some backstabby scheme in the works. This tells me we have to keep an eye on that guy.

I did that as well. Really loved that series along with Strike Commander.

I came to post almost the exact same thing about pretty much all MOBAs in general.

It’s not a case of can’t, but I won’t play a Civ game as Mao or Stalin. I’m not sure why playing as dictators from the past is okay in contrast, but I guess the twentieth century seems too close.

I just changed the thread title to reflect this. I refuse to play as them either.

I don’t know if it’s @tomchick’s enthusiastic exclamations of “yeah, watch that baby whale bleed out” on the Nantucket streams or what, but now I have absolutely no desire to play that game.

In the grand scheme of human atrocities, whaling is a fairly minor one, but unless it’s in service of some larger thematic goal, bleeding out a baby whale is just going to make me feel miserable.

I tend to be put off by anything in the modern/historical real-world killing people category. So no counterstrike, battlefield, CoD, etc. I can kill space aliens and orcs all day- hell, even Zombies are enough, but killing people in a realistic setting (no matter what side you’re on), I’m out.

The biggest one here for me was The Division- I tried a free weekend, and no matter that the dispatcher kept telling me how these were Bad Dudes doing Bad Shit, it was just fairly sickening wandering around real-world NY killing people.

I can never use nukes in a civ game. Did once in civilization 2 and was horrified at the big population drop and the little skulls around the city. Even though I reloaded I felt dirty. Though I guess rampaging through the countryside and capturing enemy cities is ok.

So I’m going to guess that Defcon is a game that very few of the people here could play? Serious question. Or is it abstracted enough that you don’t feel empathy for the numbers?

Dunno about anyone else but I have no problem with games where you blow up the world.

I enjoy mass killings. I feel like I am little boya little kid again when I get to do those in games.
Couldn’t kick an ant nest irl without crying, though.

Edit for a totally poor choice of word :O

I’m not sure I’ve encountered a game I couldn’t play. Even though I am probably pretty easy to hook emotionally in a game, and I do find things disturbing (like the death animations for the child in Limbo), I like it when games make me feel things. That said, I guess there are things I wouldn’t play - a game where I had to go around raping / torturing people, doing bad things to kids, innocent people, animals. I don’t object to some isolated scenes though - like the dog in Wolfenstein 2. I didn’t ‘enjoy’ it, but it had the desired effect on me I think.

I have no idea what the game actually is, but I guess I wouldn’t play Showing with my Dad unless i somehow found out it isn’t really what it sounds like and other people thought it was a really good game.

I have no problem mowing down tons of bad guys even though in real life I wish there were more restrictions on guns.