Games you finished that you wish you hadn't!

The Xbox 1 version of Far Cry.

The FEAR Demo

I dug GUN as well.
It was a light affair that demanded exactly the amount of effort I was willing to invest at the time (little) with a reasonable payoff.

The setting and the music were definite pluses, and the casual carnage didn’t hurt.

Plus, it had neutered D&D, so leveling up was no fun. God I hated that game.

The ending of Fallout 3 made me regret beating it, but not because the game ended.

It wasn’t a beatable game AFAIK, but I spent an assload of time playing the old Epyx GI Joe game trying to jail every Cobra Operative. Only to discover, once I’d reeled off something like 5-6 wins, that they broke out. God I hated that game even more than Ruins.

<space reserved for Super Mario 3, which I’ll never beat but would regret beating>

I beat Deadly Towers and have NO REGRETS about it. NONE.

I regret beating Crackdown ONLY because a sequel has never materialized; the ending was otherwise AWESOME. The lack of sequel is a travesty, man.

I regret beating E.T. on the Atari. I think I beat it several times, and each time represents expoentially more regret heaped on top of the previous regret. If I beat it one more time, the entire mass of the regret will collapse in on itself and create a black hole. I do not regret beating the weird Indiana Jones game.

I regret trying to beat Steve Jackon’s first Swords & Sorcerey (or whatever it was called) chose your own adventure book. Desperately. I also regret cheating my way through the next 3 and trying to determine the ending, but not because I cheated.

Jonny Moseley Mad Trix
Dark Summit

I loved GUN I just soured on the whole experience because of the end section (riding the rails and the idiotic boss fight). I’d probably revisit the game if not for that section.

I don’t mean to get on Warren’s case (Aeon is not being clear) but the meaning of words is created dynamically, dropping out of the context they are being used in. If you took every word spoken to you for its literal, dictionary meaning, idioms and metaphors would make your eyes roll back in your head. Do you become confused when someone tells you they spent the afternoon surfing in their office? :p

Do you really think that is applicable to this situation? He used the wrong words, not words with evolving meanings.

Yeah, I do. It’s not about how language evolves it’s about context.

Aeon: I hated the jumping puzzles.

Metta: There were no jumping puzzles. Why would he claim there were? What is it about jumping puzzles that is loathed? Oh, timing mechanics. Maybe he means the timing puzzles - running through the teeth, avoiding the hail, etc.

I knew what he meant from the context. I suppose if you didn’t already agree that jumping puzzles are loathed for their timing mechanics you’d have a harder time getting his point. But there are layers of context that provide meaning.

I agree that language is imprecise, I just think copping to the dictionary definition is lame because that’s not how meaning is created.

The ending of Saints Row left me with a bad feeling about the whole thing. Then I got all meta about it and thought that if you were a character in a video game and this guy couldn’t be killed, like he had a time machine or magic or something, you’d definitely try to take him out.

And then Saints Row 2 got released and it was all good.

Yeah, I do. It’s not about how language evolves it’s about context.

Aeon: I hated the jumping puzzles.

Metta: There were no jumping puzzles. Why would he claim there were? What is it about jumping puzzles that is loathed? Oh, timing mechanics. Maybe he means the timing puzzles - running through the teeth, avoiding the hail, etc.

I knew what he meant from the context. I suppose if you didn’t already agree that jumping puzzles are loathed for their timing mechanics you’d have a harder time getting his point. But there are layers of context that provide meaning.

I agree that language is imprecise, I just think coping to the dictionary definition is lame because that’s not how meaning is created.

Oh good god. Fine, Gears of War2 had jumping puzzles in it. I concede.

It really was kind of odd that they made the Gears of War sequel a platformer with RTS elements.

We felt that it would mesh better with the JRPG combat style that way.

I liked the way you incorporated the use of the Guitar Hero instruments in multiplayer. There’s really nothing better than using Star Power to toss grenades at the Horde.

Come on, cartoony westerny fun, man!

I desperately want a more fleshed out, deeper GUN 2.

Icewind Dale. A mediocre entry in the Baldur’s Gate series of games, which had me interested up until the very end, where the end “cinematic” is a compilation of a bad voice-over, a silhouette of a horned figure, and then when the voice-over gets to the point where it’s laughing, some developer thought it would be impressive to jiggle the silhouette up and down. I frankly had no problem with the game up until those last 30 seconds.

Manhunt. I also wish I hadn’t enjoyed it as much as I did. And I wish I hadn’t laughed out loud at some of the executions. And I wish it wasn’t the only stealth game I’ve ever finished.

Most games I regret finishing are games that I enjoyed so much I didn’t want them to end, and the list is long: Planescape: Torment, Freespace 1 and 2, Homeworld, Baldur’s Gate II, and many more.

I have generally been good in the last few years about not playing games any longer as soon as I stop enjoying them. I reviewed and wrote about games for so many years and felt obliged to finish games that it bled over into casual playing, and I forced myself to the point of nausea to finish countless games. In the last five years or so, as I game less and write about games less I have generally gotten to the point that as soon as I stop enjoying a game I stop playing it, with the option to go back to it at a later date if I decide to hold on to it.

Of course, this sometimes means I will try a game when I am not in the right mood for the game or the genre, and end up quitting it after 20 minutes and never trying it again. In all fairness, that is far too quick to judge most games and is probably a little excessive-something I will try to avoid in the future.

Games I genuinely wish I hadn’t forced myself to finish? NWN 2, Quake 4, Fight Nights for 360, countless RPGs, and more I am sure I will come up with as soon as I hit submit.

Do you also have trouble with sarcasm?

Most recently Gears of War 2. Nice setpieces were not quite enough to make me feel like I should keep playing, but I was compelled along through the game by some misguided hope that the story could get interesting or the ending might satisfy. Oh, how wrong I was. If I could go back in time and tell myself not to play through it, or even buy it in the first place, I most definitely would.

The last one before that was CoD: WaW. It’s just not fun after a certain point, but I played all the way up to the last level before finally realizing that invisible grenades do not a fun time make.

Jade Empire - I had hope that the hours of horrible combat would at least have a decent story pay off, but it didn’t.