Games you thought would be fun, but were very boring instead

It’s pretty rare for me to be excited about something in anticipation. Growing up amongst delusional expectations of arcade ports to 8bits computers does that to someone.
I was quite excited about Sunless Sea, but it turned out to be… well, adequate, but far from captivating. Very repetitive, too, which isn’t very good for a game all about reading.

Far Cry 5.
Assasins Creed: Origins.
Assasins Creed: Syndicate (actually, it was fun up until I finished the game and immediately bought a DLC)
Infamous Second Son

…yeah. I see a pattern her.

I am playing PoE 2, and so far, its is only “meh”. I keep playing it, hoping some part of it will click for me.
Stellaris and Civ 6. Maybe one day Ill go back and look at them. I keep track of the Stellaris thread hoping that will tell me that it is a solid game from beginning to end.

Then there is NMS. I have not bought this yet. I am waiting for it to be like $10. It seems like it has gotten a lot of improvement, but is still a not so good title yet.

Grim dawn: I loved Titian Quest, but I found the world of grim dawn very generic. I was just killing waves of enemies that seemed nearly identical with the exception of color. Also the environments seemed very much the same as well. IE: This place is a dryer, slightly less urban than that other place. None of the big environmental difference or monsters from TQ.

Actually there are a lot of titles out there I thought would be good, but I either didn’t like, or are just very meh to me. To many to list.

Literally every Total War game I’ve played except the intro to Empire (before it was clear how utterly broken that game was) and Shogun II (which is one of the best empire games of all time).

Civ: BE. Civ VI. Starships. Railroads. Sadly, everything Firaxis has done since Civ IV except XCOM (well, I liked the Colonization remake in the IV engine for what it was).

Hollow Knight. So grey. So slow. Bleh!

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Hey, new FFT! Awesome! […] Wait, it’s The Never-Ending Story but without awesome space unicorns or w/e and needlessly gamey rules (laws)? Is there a Kickstarter for supporting a hostile takeover in which Matsuno-san becomes the God-Emperor of Design at Square?

Oh, I could keep on keepin’ on.

Breath of the Wild for me. I keep returning to the game because I literally bought a Switch to play it and on paper at least I feel like I should love it, but I have to force myself to keep going. I just don’t get any fun from it.

Star Ruler 2 - the game mechanics were too opaque to click for me; so more like I lost patience rather than I got bored, which is on me. The “fun” was not sufficient to overcome the frustration. And combat was one blob versus another, bigger blob wins.

Drox Operative - I wish that I liked this as much as some around here, but I found it tedious and repetitive, which translates to boring for me. And the combat wasn’t fun, IMO.

Banished.

You’re on my shitlist now, son. Shit. List.

I recently returned to DA:Inquisition and finished the game and all pre-ending DLCs, but it was a real slog. I made it a couple hours into Trespasser before realizing I just couldn’t take any more of it.

Now I’m returning to PoE1, which I also never finished for some reason, and it is just wonderful. The complete opposite of DA:I.

From my vantage point on said list, I can see that this is on sale on Steam. Which looks weird and not fun.

Sims Medieval.

I mean all the Sims are boring but this one has very tightly scripted scenarios rather than free form gameplay. And i still can’t handle more than a few minutes before nodding off.

Dragon Age:I

Kill me.

Guild Wars 2

Kill me twice. To be fair i hate MMOs.

I’m with you on this one, honestly. I tried to get into it a few times and for some reason it never clicked. It’s a shame because it’s a gorgeous game that seems to have a lot to it, I just need more clear-cut quests and things.

I also realized both Mass Effect 1 and 2 bored the crap out of me.

Bioshock is also a game I was so super bored with. Like, stopped playing after 30-40 minutes. Snore.

Yeah, got that as a gift. It’s funny for about a minute.

I preferred Zafehouse Diaries to Rebuild. You can even upload pictures of your friends and hope they don’t die.

My candidate… almost cheating to mention a Molyneux game, but The Movies. The management/tycoon part was too simple, almost like modern ipad f2p games. The machinima part would be have been interesting but I had little interest.

Games with 3 words in the title? I hate those!

Half Life 2
System Shock 2
Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros.
Master of Magic
Sid Meier’s Civilization

You… monster!

Fallout 4.

I enjoyed the tutorial area, gave up after a few hours when my power armor ran out of juice.

Definitely this one for me, too! I was so thrilled about a sequel to FFT.

And speaking of highly disappointing sequels: Zelda 2 bored me to tears. Everything that was good in the original was stripped out.

Hey I thought of another one, Red Faction: Guerilla. Seemed like everyone loved that game, I thought it would be a slam dunk but I did not enjoy it at all. Seemed like half the missions involved driving from one end of the map to the other under a time limit. And all that destructible environment just annoyed me - I remember a bridge that I needed to get across just getting wrecked, and I had to go way around. I still don’t see what the big deal about destructible environments is.

Mass Effect 2 was that way for me. Standard difficulty was an utter cakewalk where everything melted under gunfire, and then when I tried it again on insanity, it was wonderful. Instead of being rare, absolutely everything comes with some form of shield/armor/barrier, so you have gasp understand how the powers work and engage with the actual combat design.

Unlike some, I don’t mind difficulty levels, but doing it in a way where you strip away a pillar of the design seems utterly daft.

To use a very Tom Chick argument, did playing on the hardest difficulty actually reward you in-game versus playing on easier difficulties? Remember, I don’t agree with you on this, but just providing a better balanced and better design isn’t enough. Higher difficulties must provide an extra in-game reward or else they’re not worth playing. A player should instead just play it on easy since they get the same rewards on easy.

This is utter nonsense.