Games you're thankful for (Thanksgiving thread - No negativity allowed)

I’m thankful for Fallout 4, Skyrim and State of Decay.

I’m also thankful for the plethora of space 4x, fantasy 4x and rpg games out there.

Awesome thread idea, and a great read so far!

I’m too am thankful for Qt3. I joined almost 10 years ago and this continues to be my #1 stop on the net for gaming news, and conversation. I’m not a big contributor to threads but I do love following the conversations here. Some of the most interesting reading I do every day!

As for games, this year I’m most thankful for Divinity Original Sin 2, Prey, Rimworld and The Nintendo Switch.
Also, thankful that developers are still making new iterations of some of my favorite series, such as Spellforce and Xcom.

I am going to say Star Citizen (because it shows that the space sim genre is viable and I think it helped other Space games - if nothing else).

MOO 1 & 2
Civ Series
Plants and Zombies (it was so much fun and probably opened TD genre to many people who would have never have even tried this type of game).
X-COM
Incredible Machine (brought to life Rube Goldberg devices)
Factorio
Dig Dug
Might and Magic (it was such a huge game)
Sim City
Railroad Tycoon
City of Heroes (was so much fun playing with pick up groups)
Advanced Wars (I played this when I was recovering from surgery)
Roller Coaster Tycoon (the only PC game my wife really liked)

I am thankful for having so many choices in genres, and within genres. I am thankful for a hobby that can bring me to tears of delight as well as tears of frustration. I am thankful for save points and easy mode, because now I can enjoy games that used to be frustratingly hard. I am thankful to Steam for making PC gaming so easily accessible. And, let’s see, a game…. The Fire Emblem series, for giving me a hand held gaming option that I love as much as PC.

In addition, like others, I am thankful for Q23 for giving me (a female approaching retirement) a place to participate in discussions about games.

thanks for:

Adventureland on the VIC-20, that extended my passion for fantasy literature by allowing participation… mind-blowing at the time… and subsequently Infocom games that ate up all my paper route money… LAN Doom for endless stress relief in college… and all games that let me connect with my son in another meaningful way… (currently Overwatch)

I am thankful for Visually Stunning games we have been given these last few years. Growing up back when Pong , Asteroids, and Oregon Trail on a monochrome monitor were the games of the day, its amazing how far we have come. The visuals of today’s AAA are just amazing. Witcher 3, AC Origins, Battlefield 1 (anything recently from DICE), Arkham Knight, really so many could be mentioned.

I’m grateful for Moria on the VAX, which i played a ton of in school. Along the way I learned a ton about unix and found usenet, which eventually got me here from csipg and related groups. That interest in unix also got me back into programming, which eventually enabled me to be in my current career.

Honerable mention to netrek, which introduced me to the CS “frat house” at school, where I learned a ton of “interesting” slightly less legal unix stuff.

Wow. So much to be grateful for! So I guess I’ll limit myself to this year.

I’m grateful for NieR: Automata, which proves beyond any doubt that games can be as deep (or even more) than a good book, and for showing how to tackle existentialism in a positive, non-depressing way.

I’m grateful for Heat Signature, which allows me to have a light-hearted Hotline Miami-esque experience that I can tailor to the mood and time I have at the moment.

I’m grateful for so many good ports of good games coming to the PC, most of all Nioh, which is everything I wanted of a Souls-like game.

Finally, I’m grateful for Qt3. I don’t have close friends that have an interest for games like me, and games are an important part of my life; I’m grateful that I have this space to talk about games and more, with a lot of great people that (the vast majority of the time) also happen to rekindle my faith in humankind.

I am thankful for ELEX, which is turning out to be a good way to spend my free time over the holidays.

I am thankful for Steam and GOG, for always having good deals on games with no fuss.

I am thankful for all the modders/patchers out there, who fix old or broken games.

I’m thankful for Star Wars Galaxies, MOO2, the Civ games, Everquest, World of Warcraft, Imperialism 2, XCom, System Shock, Hearthstone, War in the Pacific Admirals’ Edition, and many other great games. Also for Steam and Qt3.

Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends to the south.

Thankful for Pong which started my journey from Pong->ColecoVision->Commodore64->AtariST->PC gaming journey.

That’s a great one I should have thought of TundraToad - that’s exactly where my hobby/addiction started!

I agree, however just switch Atari 2600 for ColecoVision and you have my journey to pc gaming.

My mom had a ColecoVision and I played it some just before my I started the job that would have for the next 31 years. Loved Tron, one person could control movement and the other could control shooting. It was the best coop I ever played.

Big thanks to my friend Joe who introduced my to his VIC 20 playing Shamus. Oh so many eons ago. You are the cause of all of this.

I’m thankful for DERPSPACE. The latest developer update is nothing short of mind-blowing.

I am thankful for portable game.

I haven’t had much time to game at home due to a very busy schedule - most nights by the time I get home I have just enough energy and time to surf the web for a little or watch an episode of a short Netflix show. So the 3DS or Vita travel with me in my bag and I get to get at least an hour of gaming time on my commute to and from work and occasionally on my lunch hour. Especially thankful for the Vita where I can carry with me a large PS1, PSP and Vita collection of games.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

This year I’m especially grateful for the games I finished in the last year:

Skyforce Anniversary/Skyforce Reloaded - Two awesome games that made me appreciate a whole new genre of games! That’s really rare you guys. Games like this don’t come around very often that make me change my mind on a genre like this.

Overload - I’m not done with it yet, but Descent 4 is here! Woohooooo!

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition - I haven’t quite finished it yet, but this campaign turned out to have a lot more variety and changes in gamplay than I was expecting. And it was freaking hard even on Normal difficulty. I enjoyed it.

Forza Horizon 4 - I just loved my time in virtual England/Scotland. I’ll gladly dive into this again in 2019 when I renew my Game Pass.

Bioshock Infinite - Admittedly, it’s hard to find something positive to say about Infinite. But going with the spirit of this thread, I have to find something. I will say that once I changed the difficulty to easy and walked through the rest of the game, it made me realize that’s how I should have been playing the whole time. So some of the friction between me and the game was my own fault for playing on Hard most of the way.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - I’m not quite done with it yet, but I played this for most of 2018. It’s a really long game, but it’s really crunchy and satisfying, both from a gameplay perspective and story perspective. I talked about this in the stealth game thread, but this game is a great example of how do to stealth right. By alternating stealth and action, you don’t get tired of sneaking around, and if you do get discovered, you still have a chance and kicking so much ass that it’s amazing.

The Swapper - I loved it, beginning to end. I wish I could use the flashy thingie from Men in Black on myself so that I could play it again as if for the first time. Really clever puzzles, and wrapped in an a really atmospheric setting.

ABZU - This was a really nice zen experience, just exploring underwater and chilling.

Aaero - This game was fabulous! It really made me appreciate all these Electronic Dance Music tunes while playing along with the music. I loved it.

Grim Dawn - Ashes of Malmouth - This provided so many hours of entertainment this year. I just love this game already, but this was one of the best most substantive expansions ever.

Firewatch - I played through it, beginning to end, and it stuck with me even now. It’s a very different kind of story that stirred mixed feelings within me. And so it was really effective.

Mirror’s Edge Catalyst - I really enjoyed this game once I got in the groove of things, and started competing and trying to get 3 star times on some of the runs. I still liked the original better, but the game that’s here is also really enjoyable.

Cuphead - I didn’t get very far, because I suck. But hey, I still have a great time beating my head against this thing. Hard games are really fun in their own way.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - So I finally returned to this game and ran through it in Seasons for the first time this year, with multiple characters, and I had a great time. It’s a completely different type of ARPG compared to Path of Exile or Grim Dawn, but it’s also really fun in its own way.

I’m thankful for a lot of games this year - in my book, it’s been a great year gaming-wise - but the one I’m the most thankful for is, without a doubt…

Yakuza 0.

I’m grateful for Thea, 7 Days to Die, Through the Ages, Caracassone the Official Board Game, Monster Hunter World, Divinity 2, Don’t Starve Together and Ticket to Ride and too many board games to count because these are all the games that bring my friends and family together to play with me.

I’m so glad someone else enjoys Thea that much. Certainly a game I’m thankful for as well.