Gamespy mp - Oh how I hate it! <help>

Arrgghh. I absolutely hate Gamespy mp. For some reason everytime I get a new game to play via Gamespy my old Gamespy ID just starts to not function - and I have to make a new one. This happened lately with Battlefield 2 and now again with Civ IV. In fact - I made a new ID with my gmail account - and even though verified I can’t use it to play mp with Civ IV as everytime I go to login it says “ID not found”. The ID I got Battlefield 2 to work with will not work with Civ IV - and my others ID’s I have for Gamespy won’t work with Battefield 2. :x grrrrrr.

So does anyone have any advice they can give me so I can get this running right. And does anyone have a clue “why” it seems some games need new ID’s - and won’t use the generic Gamespy ID?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’d love to get in and try some Civ IV mp just to see what it’s like. Thanks.

All seeing eye

ASE doesn’t really work with BF2 right now, IIRC. There’s probably a workaround somewhere.

I think it’s interesting how the quality of Gamespy-based internal browsers really seems to have skydived of late. Can’t everyone just look at the UT2004 browser, nod sagely, and implement that?

Uggh, don’t EVEN get me started on that! Cripe even MS’s the Zone 5 years ago had a better layout and was much faster than is Gamespy now. Why did MS stop bringing games into the fold? Cost?

Some games have server browsers that are “powered by GameSpy” meaning they use their software for reporting server information to you. It does not necesarilly mean the login or character information (if any) is related to GS or their services in any way. You can’t use your GSID in BF2 because they have nothing to do with each other outside the server browser, AFAIK.

I don’t own battlefield2, but on the main ASE page, it is the number 2 played game with 8,000 people.

Yeah. I just looked around, and the workaround is here.

Uggh, don’t EVEN get me started on that! Cripe even MS’s the Zone 5 years ago had a better layout and was much faster than is Gamespy now. Why did MS stop bringing games into the fold? Cost?[/quote]

Microsoft only gives lip service to supporting PC gaming is why.

The trick was, they buy out The Zone (yes, it used to be called that). Then they rename it to MSN Gaming Zone while everyone is still using The Zone. Then once everyone is hooked on it they drop complete support. As a few programs like Mplayer, Heat, tried to take the reins, GameSpy Arcade seemed to win out… until years later nobody is using that program because it’s an ad-filled piece of crap. Except GameSpy reins supreme anyways because it offers server tracking support unlike any other company.

But of course it really makes no sense for Microsoft to make something like ASE unless they bundle it, eh? But if they bundle it it will take them weeks to support new games. Bureaucracy at work for you like always ;).

So anyone have any idea why I can’t get any Gamespy ID’s to work in Civ IV?

I enter my ID and password - which I’ve verified, and made sure it’s correct… it says “username not found”. This is directly from within Civ IV with the connect to mp Internet option.

I finally got it working. Made yet billionth ID through the Civ mp interface with antoher e-mail address and it worked.