gameSTATE

Has anyone read gameSTATE?

I gotta say, it’s the best damn magazine I’ve read in terms of market information and just game development. And, most importantly, it’s free! Needless to say, I’m very impressed.

So, who’s gonna shoot me down? :D

I gotta say, it’s the best damn magazine I’ve read in terms of market information and just game development.

And it’s great how middleware is the solution to everything! Especially RenderWare! It’ll even make the tea for you!

(this message brought to by Renderware in conjunction with Guest)

More info please.

Is this an online magazine? If not, how do you get it.

I’ve never heard of it before.

Are you sure you’re not just the editor of gameSTATE coming here for a sneaky plug?

(Sounds fun! Lemme try:

Hey, anybody know that guy SpoofyChop? He’s really funny and definitely the best poster on QT3. Plus, you can read all his material free!)

It’s a new magazine that’s supposed to be trying to be Game Developer. It’s actually a catalog for Renderware. There’s fine print inside the cover explaining that it’s published by Criterion, the company that makes Renderware. None of the poorly-written articles has any attribution. And the whole thing is the wrong aspect ratio for a magazine, so it doesn’t stack well.

The jig is up cog.

Yes, it’s useless – a big Renderware ad. And, like Game Developer, they insist on sending me numerous copies each month, so I magically get another one as soon as I throw it away (they can tell their advertisers they have a big reader base, but in reality it’s only nineteen people who each get 26,000 copies a month).

I only wish I had such a job.

Wow, it would seem few people around here actually give things a chance. For starters, this is the first issue of gameSTATE. Yes, it would seem RenderWare could do everything, even make toast. Do realize that this was the second main aspect of the magazine. Now I don’t know much about the system of publications, but I’d assume that any magazine would cover their second topic with some detail.

On a side note, ITS FREE! How are you going to bash a magazine that gives decent information, has a great layout, and doesn’t charge you dime?

It’s propoganda. It’s an advertisement. Advertisements are always free.

The reason is simple: nobody would pay for them!

Hello? Do you understand the concepts behind advertising?

:D

P.S. I have some amazing “cat dirt” that I can send you. FOR FREE!

I picked it up, read it, learnt the power of middleware and put it back down. The most interesting aspect of the magazine seems to be that quite a few of the articles (especially the design stuff) are taken from Edge, the Brtish version of Next Generation, and rejigged a bit. Given Edge’s (slightly pretentious) games as art, not commerce etc. etc. stance, seems a bit weird to see 'em selling their stuff to a middleware shill magazine.

The most interesting aspect of the magazine seems to be that quite a few of the articles (especially the design stuff) are taken from Edge, the Brtish version of Next Generation, and rejigged a bit.

Actually, I think they’re from Develop!, not Edge.

I got sent it. The strange size and bizzaro layout scared me.

Really? One of the big design articles is scarily similar to one I have in an issue of Edge (the one with Unity/Jeff Minter on the cover). Maybe that was taken from Design!

BTW, what is Design! and where can I get it? A game design specific magazine would be a serious boon for me.

Spoofy, cmon.

Yes, I understand the concept of advertising. No, I don’t want your “cart dirt” because your dirt has no interesting information for me. gameSTATE actually had some interesting things in it. Yes, it’s PLAGUED with RenderWare and will most likely be plagued with 3dsMax next issue (who knows?) but it had some decent information and was well written.

P.S. Thanks for being the first to take me down :D

Hey no problem!

Usually I leave the merciless takedowns to Jason McCullough, but he didn’t seem to be chiming in and I didn’t want you to feel left out.

Anyway…I admit that even advertising copy can be interesting sometimes, but I think the basic problem with a mag like this is that you can’t really trust it to be objective about the industry.

If the facts show that RenderWare isn’t the best solution for some application, you can’t trust them to be honest about it.

Can someone clue me in on the vast difference between a magazine completely paid for by a single advertiser (gameState) and one mostly paid for by a group of advertisers (everything else in the industry)?

The single advertiser mag doesn’t need to produce quality copy to stay in business?

I dunno; if, say, 60% of revenue comes from advertising (it’s near that for magazines in general, not sure about game industry mag numbers - Bauman, I choose you!), you’re telling me that last 40% is the difference between a shit magazine and not?

I don’t think the percentage of revenue from advertising is relevant. A much more interesting number would be percentage of revenue from a single source. If one company contributes 100% of revenue, then they call 100% of the shots. A traditional magazine, even one that gets 100% of revenue from various advertisers, still isn’t beholden to any one source.

Well, I also received a copy of the magazine, and it reads pretty poorly, despite its looks, but I don’t have a doubt that it could be far worse, yet still maintain its single advertiser’s support. On the other hand, if CGM shipped with only a few pages of mediocre content each month, I’m sure advertisers would peel off fairly quickly.

The only thing that would prevent Renderware from becoming a Microsoft of game development tools is…Microsoft buying them. They are growing very aggresively and have a corporate parent (Canon) with deep pockets.