Gamestop 360 pre-orders

When the last Harry Potter book came out, at the local big bookstore, massive crowds of insane, drooling fans scraped the air like zombies scrabbling for human flesh. I wonder if the same thing will happen for the 360.

Yep, that’s it exactly - why didn’t I think of that? Those noble corporations! Let’s see - Xmas thank you gift to noble CEO of Gamestop, check.

I could accept a lot of things. I don’t. It’s called healthy skepticism (not to be confused with conspiracy theory, which this ain’t). If more consumers practiced it instead of apologizing for the handful of people with all the money, power, and control, we wouldn’t be wondering why gas shot up to $3-$5 a gallon and just as suddenly back down again. That just must have been those noble corporations thinking ahead, you know, to make sure that demand didn’t outstrip supply.

Yep, that’s it exactly - why didn’t I think of that? Those noble corporations! Let’s see - Xmas thank you gift to noble CEO of Gamestop, check.
[/quote]
I said nothing about them being noble or deserving of a Christmas gift. I simply don’t thinkt they’re evil for making a buck in a proscribed and legal fashion.

I could accept a lot of things. I don’t. It’s called healthy skepticism (not to be confused with conspiracy theory, which this ain’t). If more consumers practiced it instead of apologizing for the handful of people with all the money, power, and control, we wouldn’t be wondering why gas shot up to $3-$5 a gallon and just as suddenly back down again. That just must have been those noble corporations thinking ahead, you know, to make sure that demand didn’t outstrip supply.

It’s not healthy skepticism, it’s whining. Using gas as an example is disingenuous; last time I looked my ability to earn a wage was far more tied to the price of a gallon of gas than whether or not an XBox is only available online with an included bundle of games.

In either case, however, in a pseudo-free market economy, your control power is still the same: If you don’t like what they’re doing, don’t support them. “That won’t stop it” you say? Well, likely true. As it turns out they don’t care about you, but rather, “the average customer”. And since, apparently, the average customer is stupid enough to pay $800 for a bundle with games they don’t want just so they can have the new shiny the day it’s out, they’ll keep doing it.

As long as those folks are out there, you’re screwed. Your complaint is with the sheep who are willing to do this (and the assholes who buy 7 360 pre-orders on day one so they can turn 6 around on E-Bay). All the businesses are doing is capitalizing on the market that’s present. It’s a luxury item; if it was unreasonable the market would collapse beneath them, but seeing as it’s not, perhaps it’s not as unreasonable as you, personally, believe?

Oh geez, it’s not whining. Come on. Disagree, by all means, but don’t tell me I’m whining when I make what I believe is at least a legitimate argument. I’m not complaining about pre-sells or allocation, btw - let’s make that clear. I’m complaining about bundling.

Well of course, but “the average consumer” has so few choices, really, anyway, that even the delimiter pseudo’s a euphemism.

So…because I’m screwed, I should just shut up? That’s Bill O’Reilly logic! :)

If they can’t get it to you before Christmas, then it’s not a damn pre-order. Get your $50 back. From the way it’s going you’ll be getting yours in 1Q06 about the same time I get one.

No - you should just avoid looking like a doofus on a messageboard.

Pot calling kettle, mate. ;)

It’s like that Seinfeld episode about car reservations; anyone can take the preorder, but honoring it is the most important part.

Just another reason why I don’t preorder. If places guaranteed me that they’d have my order on release day, including some kind of major discount if they don’t, I’d be all over preorders. But I’ve had far too many preorders not show, or be late, or whatnot, to give a rats ass about them anymore.

Didn’t they have some sort of tiered system? EB ran their preorders for a certain period of time, ran out of “guaranteed,” then opened again for a later date preorder batch, etc. I thought that line happened somewhere back in August.

Jazar, was your order prior to the original preorder guarantee block, or after?

Nah, you should just quit pretending it’s somehow a horrible thing that the businesses are doing what businesses do, and admit the fact that you do have choices. What you don’t have is a choice that optimally satisfies your needs. Welcome to life, eh?

(Me, I plan on hitting up the local Best Buy and hoping. If I get lucky, yay me! If not, well, it’s not like there’s not other discretionary entertainment in the world out there. We’ll see how I feel about my plan when I find out I need to stand in line from 4am or whatever due to other people who obviously want the thing more than I do. But then, I’d actually resigned myself to not getting one until next spring when BB suddenly injected into my inbox a little bundle of love known as “No interest financing” anyway. I’m a weak sheeple, but I loves my credit!)

I don’t even know what optimal is, much less minimal. Joel Bakan, man. Joel Bakan. Give it a look. Try not to let the corporate-apologist stripe of hey, everyone’s doin’ it cynicism trump the, IMO, healthier F-U corporate shills variety. Unless you’re the CEO of something, of course. Milton Friedman makes a damned fine argument for the ethical priorities of the corporate CEO, and even I in my universal (wacko, nutty, tree-hugging, pinko, insert label, etc.) disdain for the present corporate model have a tough time arguing with the fidelity of his ideals.

Yep, me too. Reviews due, alas - there’s my much work, low pay bias shining through. ;)

I don’t even know what optimal is, much less minimal. Joel Bakan, man. Joel Bakan. Give it a look. Try not to let the corporate-apologist stripe of hey, everyone’s doin’ it cynicism trump the, IMO, healthier F-U corporate shills variety. Unless you’re the CEO of something, of course. Milton Friedman makes a damned fine argument for the ethical priorities of the corporate CEO, and even I in my universal (wacko, nutty, tree-hugging, pinko, insert label, etc.) disdain for the present corporate model have a tough time arguing with the fidelity of his ideals.
[/quote]

It’s not corporate apologism. It’s a complete lack of any type of rationality based ability to discern which is more “ethical”: Selling unbundled consoles and making the entire ability of obtaining one a crapshoot for everyone or selling bundles and allowing those with enough capitol to secure the console for themselves at added expense. Either way you do a disservice to someone, so the only method I can figure out that you’re using to decide what is “ethical” is that you should always do the disservice to those who have the money in favor of those who don’t. I might be willing to cede the point on medicine or fuel or food or any of a number of other things that are required or at least greatly improve the quality of living. A new shiny XBox simply isn’t anywhere near that category to me.

Okay, you’ve established that you’re not an apologist. Fair enough. Since neither of us knows whether that “extra capital” is what’s making it possible for Gamestop to guarantee orders (even if so, apparently it’s not working too well, judging from Jazar’s opening salvo), I don’t think the point can stand. Microsoft isn’t allocating based on bundles. Speculation all along has been that MS is basing allocation on pre-sell numbers, and don’t get me started on MS’s corporate role in terms of the “Sold Out” news/gossip/whatever.

Incidentally, you might give the cogent, reasonable, intelligent film The Corporation a try, with an open mind, then come back and tell me I’m full of bull, and I’ll bow out.

Are you sure this is true? There were some really odd deals with the PSP release as well. When I asked what was up with them, I was told that the reason was that Sony required a purchase of X first party games alongside the hardware for the release hardware.

AFAIR, there were bundles for the PSP online as well, and it tended to be the first party games. That being said, the bundles for the X360 are different than strictly first party games, so I don’t know if that’s indicative or not. However, it’s certainly not unheard of for the manufacturers to distribute sought after goods in addition to their higher margin items as a bundle to the retailers, who then try to offset their costs. (Like EB would have ordered more than 100 copies of Gretzky Hockey for the PSP chain-wide without being forced to. ;) ) Especially on things where every indication is that there’s a substantial profit loss on the console itself. (Heh… maybe MS should just sell the consoles at cost and let people complain about the $500+ price tag.)

A little bit off topic, but here’s a weird one for ya…

I get a voicemail yesterday from my local EB telling me that my 360 preorder isn’t in the lucky first batch, and it’ll be delayed until mid-December.

Problem is, I’m pretty damn sure I didn’t preoder an Xbox 360. :shock:

So I call 'em up, and they’ve got my whole name, address, phone number… everything. And it’s all attached to a $50 pre-order on a Premium system.

For the life of me, I don’t remember putting that money down. I did do a massive trade-in exchange a couple months ago, and I suppose it’s possible I put some of my exchange credit against the 360, but… I think I’d remember something like that. And I usually keep my pre-order receipts.

Anyways, I’ve still got 3 or 4 regular Xbox games that I need to finish, and I’m still enjoying playing Forza and a couple other Xbox games. Plus, I don’t have $700-$800 to plunk down on an Xbox 360/wireless adapter/extra controller/games.

So, I’ll probably just go and see if I can get a used copy of Shadow of the Colossus or something. :? Weird, huh?

If they can’t get it to you before Christmas, then it’s not a damn pre-order. Get your $50 back. From the way it’s going you’ll be getting yours in 1Q06 about the same time I get one.[/quote]

Sure it’s a preorder. But since they’re only getting so many units, they’re going by date of preorder, which is totally fair. I’m not happy about not getting one despite having it reserved since August, but I certainly understand that they can’t just pull one out of their ass since all the 360’s they’re getting in are going to people who preordered before me. Sucks for me, but I’m pretty sure that they’re not doing it intentionally because they don’t want my $400+. One of the Wal-Marts around here said that they’re only getting 15 to 20 Xbox360’s on launch day, which is really surprising. I mean, it’s freaking gigantic Wal-Mart.

I’m not too worried about the whole thing, though. I have plenty of PC games right now that I’ve gotten in the past few months that I haven’t played nearly enough. I’m definitely not putting any further effort into getting a 360 right now. If I happen to see one in a store in the next few weeks, I’ll buy it. Otherwise, I’ll just skip happily along.

Anything’s possible, even likely when it comes to kickback wheeling and dealing, but doesn’t it suck that we don’t know? Endless speculation, prestidigitation, and Jazar’s still SOL, sadly.

My last point would be: if you know the MSRP on a product is X, and you walk into a store and find the only guaranteed way to get one is to pay X + mucho-extra-dinero, is there something wrong with wondering and proceeding to inquire, about the possibility that the company in question is perhaps trying to set “fair market value” higher than need be to turn a comfortable profit? I picked up one of the PSP bundles from an EB Games when it came out, and paid a fair bit of that extra dollar for a bunch of cheap throwaway plastic accessory junk. That’s where the margin was on those sales, not on the games or the hardware. I managed a Babbages for a year in 1995, highest sales in my district, and I saw how (then, granted) we made our money. It was never on the systems, it was always on the .99 recycled motherboard keychains, i.e. “Multiple SKU Transactions” (they used to force us to keep a sheet, on which we were to tally by our names every MST / non-MST for %-to-individual sales rating purposes). I didn’t want to get into all this, but since we’re here, I’ll say that basically all Gamestop is doing, is creating a “forced” MST scenario. You’re forced to buy the high margin stuff along with the low, whether you dig it or not. That’s where my primary beef is. Don’t force me to subsidize (anywhere else, that’s normally called “welfare” if not outright gouging, alternatives or not) you if you can’t figure out how to turn a profit in a more traditional manner. There’s still something to be said for good old fashioned customer service, after all, right?

No. I asked if they had a lot of pre-orders already and the guy showed me a stack of slips which could’ve had up to 50 orders there. I was hoping it’d be like the PSP where they would’ve had enough shipments to fulfull the first and second shipments but alas, MS decides to give them much less then what has been anticipated. If Microsoft does as they say and continue to deliver a steady flow of units then I should have it within a few weeks I’d imagine.

It isn’t the whole pre-order system that has me bummed, it’s the lack of quantity and the potential for this to be another PS2 disaster. The good thing is I’m not in a big rush.

Heh… just for S&G, here’s a place witha premium system unbundled.

Personally, I think I’d take a bundle!

http://www.xbox360ultimate.com/