Gaming chairs, whatcha recommend?

After getting my leap, and sitting in a couple of more “gaming chairs”, I’m falling on the side of gaming chairs are bullshit designed by 20 something youtube stoners, with no formal training in anything even remotely approaching ergonomics.

For the price you pay for some of these gaming chairs, you can get chairs that were designed by people that didn’t wear a paper hat to the their job up until 2019.

More prototype at CES bullshit that will never see the light of day:

That’s just… weird, also I don’t know how a screen would curve naturally like that.

So I got offered one of these to review:

I’ll let y’all know how it works out!

I wonder what kind of science we can do to determine if it’s made on exactly the same factory floor as the SecretLabs Titan XL I theoretically have coming my way sometime this month. . .

I’m curious how something like that works (or doesn’t) for VR. I’m finding the headrest on my chair is causing me a lot of issues since I can’t turn my head to the side and back without the resistance from the chair. A challenge looking down in an F18 for buttons and switches on the side of the cockpit.

I agree, looks like a lot of parts from the Titan XL. Must be the same factory in China.

@BrianRubin I see the specs for that chair mention 550 pounds, I request that you bulk up a bit before testing. :P

Finally, a chair for American gamers…

I did the dang ol thing, I guess.

US Size 12 shoe for comparison: I could curl up and sleep in this fuckin box, lol. Which I don’t wanna get rid of in case I need to return the chair for any reason, but seriously, what the hell do I do with a box of this size???

Initial impressions: it’s real fuckin’ big, hah. But, more seriously, need to do some tweaking and adjusting to get my arms in a better position on here. I may go ahead and buy some armrest covers a friend recommended, as the armrests are pretty stiff as-is. Chair is generally just pretty stiff, but I’m not sure that’s a bad thing, exactly; my old cushion has been mushed into nonexistence.

That looks very comfortable. But I’d get hot in it - I can only use mesh style backs (and, preferably, bottoms).

Mercifully, despite being a very fat dude, I don’t tend to get super hot in chairs, though, yeah, mesh is nice. Jury’s still out, but whatever I am doing with my left arm is making it go numb, so I need to figure out how this chair arm is positioned differently than the old one and fix it. Luckily, the arms are super adjustable, so that shouldn’t be too hard.

Arm numbness may be more from doing something foolish while assembling the chair, because even with a 12-hour break from the chair and a good restful sleep in there, the numbness/tingling is continuing unabated and stretching my arm in certain ways makes it go nuts. Almost sciatica-esque, except that’s always down in my legs, and the tingles are always accompanied by pain. But in any case, feels like I pinched a nerve in my elbow or something, ugh.

Back is more or less happy, though, which is what I hoped for. Longer-term reviews forthcoming to see how badly I wasted $500/how well I invested in my longterm health :)

Glad to hear the chair is good so far, sorry to hear about your arm pain.

:)
:(

re: Autonomous

I’ve used one for two months at this point. Solid comfortable chair. Wasn’t hard to put together and it was what I considered a very competitive price for what it is.

And I’ve used steelcase and herman miller a lot at work (back in a bygone age when I went into the office) for comparison purposes.

Thanks for sharing that feedback! This is still definitely my top choice for a chair when I move, along with the Autonomous sit/stand desk.

Are you talking about the Ergo 2? If so , how wide is the seat, the site doesn’t seem to specify.

Yep, it’s the Ergo 2. Just measured the width, the cushion is 20x20.

Here’s a shot of it:

Ah thanks, its hard to find a seat that is 21" or more wide. As my thighs are like 2 giant christmas hams and usually trapped between the armrests on most chairs.

Brian, did your product influencer chair arrive yet? :P