Gaming chairs, whatcha recommend?

@fire
Today I decided to just drive to the Steelcase headquarters and hope they’d let me in and try some chairs. After waiting a while as the front desk attended to more important business she found someone in sales who was very considerate and took time out of his day to take me to try out some chairs in their office. I sat in both the Leap v2 and the Gesture and they were both far more comfortable for my bony frame over the Herman Miller Aeron and Embody. I really loved how the Gesture moves with you, it’s fantastic support, and it felt very relaxing to sit in. But the seat was not as comfortable as the Leap. The Leap v2 was also really nice. Not quite as relaxing, and not quite the back support, but the way it contoured to my butt was extremely comfortable. Could not feel my butt bones at all for once.

So now I don’t know which to go with. This Aeron is going back for sure, and I now have to decide between the two Steelcase variants of more relaxing/better back support vs. more comfortable butt.

I have a new Gesture and while I like the chair overall I do find the seat too firm. I definitely have more mass than you at about 200 lbs, so I don’t know if that makes it more or less likely to be uncomfortable for you.

I found it a little too firm as well. Better than the Aeron or Embody though. Did you ever try the Leap?

I’ve now bought a second Secret Lab chair; just adore them (one for my workspace, one for my gaming/personal PC). Wish they were cheaper, but I don’t regret the purchases.

I didn’t. I bought from Amazon because I didn’t have a Steelcase dealer around here.

One friend’s employee discount off Steelcase Leap v2 ended up being nearly 30% and the other got a Hawthorn Fern.

Thanks for the breakdown! I still have my other Staples chair which has been just fine for 3 years now, but the Dexley wouldn’t probably be what I look at in the future for the price range it lives in. The cons don’t sound so bad for my needs.

I know 2023 was a crazy year for you, did you ever get the chair your butt enjoyed the most?

Your picture from years ago still gives me nightmares.

Can someone give me a recommendation? I need something that will not hurt my butt even while sitting in the chair literally almost every waking hour. I bought some kind of chair recently and I love the back support but I can’t sit in it that long without it hurting. Preferably a chair where your back stays straight up or near straight up

I’m still loving my Secretlab Titan EVO mentioned back in ‘22. Interestingly, it popped up on this Newsweek best gaming chair voting list. You may find something on there.

I bought one of those higher end Nobel chairs and it’s not so very comfortable. Had to buy a butt pad from Costco.

I guess what I really want when I game is a cushy recliner.

I shudder to think what my back would be like, now, if it wasn’t for my Secretlab chairs.

Isn’t the butt part kind of stiff though?

I think I almost agree with Anklebiter. It’d be nice to sit in a cushy recliner, but like one you would have in your living room for watching TV. Probably not great for productivity though lol.

I use this and this on the chair to add a little extra plushness and they work well, although my adult kid prefers without the seat cushion (they’re rocking a Jinx model, fwiw).

I don’t find it so. I can sit for hours without feeling any discomfort, but I suppose YMMV. I tend to get up and move around fairly frequently and rarely stay sitting for more than an hour at a time before some sort of break.

If I really need lounge-y sort of comfort, as others say, I’d head to my living room. Ergonomics combined with comfort is what I want in a gaming chair (or office chair, for that matter).

+1 for SecretLab chairs , I like the seat cushion firm on my behind.

Using a Titan XL 2020 , working as good as it did on day 1.

What’s a Jinx?

So glad you asked! She’s a character from the game and show—which is an absolute must-watch, even for people who aren’t fans of the game—League of Legends.

The chair stylized after her:

I have a Steelcase Gesture and find the seat a little firmer than I think I’d like, but they claim it’s better for long term comfort. I may like a cushion though. I looked at the one you linked. Is it deep enough? Even on that lady in the video it seems like it should support more of her leg. I’m a bit over 6’1’'. Do you think that cushion would work for me?

It’s contoured and therefore of variable thickness, but is roughly 2" that compresses down to about 1" and still retains the cushiness. In terms of depth in the seat, I have the XL version of the Secretlab chair, and when pushed to the back (where I keep the cushion) it gives about 6" from the edge of the front edge of the cushion to the front edge of the chair. However, the drape of my legs is perfectly fine and they just gently rest off the edge because of how the cushion lifts and rests. Quite comfortable.