Gaming chairs, whatcha recommend?

Indeed, as others have said repeatedly in this thread, this may well be the most worthwhile computing investment you ever do, especially considering the durability of a good chair against cheaper ones that tend to fail you in a couple of years.
Also let your back do the talk when trying out the chairs, and just listen to it: it knows better.

I’d never heard of the company before, but this one is getting good reviews and is supposedly “improved” - do you think I should stay away from them? I flat-out can’t afford a $1500 chair, no matter how much I might like it.

Most folks here are going to recommend looking for a used version of the stupid price chairs, even over a new Secretlab chair (though I would assume that is a pretty decent chair too). You’ll still be spending the same amount, but a 6 year old used chair with a 12+ year warranty is probably just as good as a new chair with a 5 year warranty.

Cheapest embody I’m seeing on EBay is $750 + shipping, sadly well beyond my budget, but I hear ya.

@ArmandoPenblade can report in on his Secret Lab chair. I think he has had it half a year now. :)

I really need to get a new chair this year, the rest of the PC and setup has been bought , its my last thing to buy!

@jpinard did you ever replace that broken arse chair yet?

Plenty of people here and elsewhere really like them. I like the one I bought and I think if my use case was 3 or so hours a day I would just keep using the SecretLab.

From what you said my guess would be to go with an ergonomic chair. And if you can I suggest going to a store to try out some models. Does not have to be 1500 bucks, there are plenty out there for less. Steelcase Leap v2 is one often recommended, and although they run 1k new used and refurbs go for 350-450.

Yes, I got a used Leap v2 this spring for about $250. I had to drive 3 hours round trip to get it, but it was worth every penny and the time spent.

Check local for a used office furniture place and such.

Not yet. Waiting for COVID to settle down a bit more before I go out and start trying some on before making a decision. I’m kinda thinking about a used Herman Miller or Steelcase chair now to help my posture.

I’ve had a SecretLab Omega for about 16 months now. Great chair, still in great condition after 8-12 hours of daily usage, and i’m still very happy I picked it.

I’ve been using the Secretlabs Titan XL for a year now, for work and gaming, and am still very happy with it. Really good balance of comfort and support, and easy to get it adjusted the way I like. Absolutely no contest over the generic Costco/Office Depot type chairs I’ve had at home before, which is unsurprising, but I’d also easily take it over an Aeron, which I used for a couple years at a previous job.

Fit seems to be a very subjective, personal thing. The Aeron was clearly well-constructed, and some of my coworkers loved it, but I was just never able to get it to feel quite right for me (I’m 6’5”).

After trying out my chair, my wife and kids all wanted their own, and they all seem to be very satisfied with them.

I code a minimum of 10 hrs a day (often more) and I have a bad back. I own an Embody, Aeron, HAG Capisco, multiple Staples office chairs, a yoga ball, numerous kitchen chairs, and a sit-stand desk. None of that helped much.

Then I made the switch.

For two years now I’ve been over-time coding on a $20 Costco folding chair and a $50 “Everlasting Comfort Seat Cushion”.

The seat cushion is purely for comfort, not ergonomics. After a year of use the chair cushion was flat.

My back has never felt better. No joke. I’ve spent thousands an ergonomics and this is the best solution I’ve come up with…sounds ludicrous but cheap to try!

This is all really great feedback. And @BlairFraser, I just placed an order for that seat cushion; it’s going to go on whatever chair I wind up with!

That company has a matching lumbar support piece if that’s something you need as well.

Nice! I’ll snag it, too.

Interesting to hear. I used a folding chair when mucking around with Rocksmith (needed a chair with no arm rests), and it resulted in a silly amount of tailbone pain after just a few hours. A cushion helps, though I’ve avoided testing it for too long because of the paranoia from the damage done that first time.

For normal use, I actually use an Office Depot chair. I use it a silly amount of hours per day, and don’t have any (known) issues. While clearly not an OmegaLab or Herman Miller chair, I’m quite happy with it, and it is reaching the 2 year mark I’m pretty sure if not a bit more.

Just a general thing that’s helped me re back pain (and also sciatic? nerve-caused numbness down one leg) is getting a walk in around 5 days a week. Not saying the right chair won’t make sitting a lot more comfortable generally, though.

We got a refurb Leap V2 for about 350, it’s a great chair. The chair is pretty adjustable to begin with, but the greatest feature of it is being able to move around, and have the chair just park where you want to stop, especially when it comes to leaning back. Being able to re-adjust your position on the fly, and not have to bother fiddling with any nobs is priceless really.

If there is a better chair for 350 bucks, I haven’t found it yet, I haven’t even seen anything remotely close to it comfort and feature wise for that price. I’ve said it in this thread before I think, but I’ll say it again, “game” chairs, at least all of the ones I’ve tried, end up with needless hot spots on them due to the styling.

People are wildly different in what they find comfortable, so it’s hard to make a real suggestion for anyone else, but for me, the leap v2 has been fantastic for the money.

I’m not alone!

That’s a very funny idea XD

Sweet baby jesus , its worse than @jpinard 's chair.