Gaming course at SMU

http://guildhall.smu.edu/

At least they have some real industry people involved. That’s a good thing I guess.

Does anyone else find iD, of all people, allying with a conservative christian university hilarious?

No. Christian girls are easy.

I don’t like this trend.

Perhaps Romero will show some of them his BFG.

SMU is definitely not conservative Christian. Their only association with the Methodist church is that…well, the Methodists have a church on the corner of campus. Other than that, it’s pretty much your regular ol’ small private college…except that it has a lot of money, and, well, the girls there tend to be incredibly hot. :D

Yeah, one nickname for SMU that I heard as a kid was Southern Martini University. I don’t think it’s anywhere near as conservative as the name would indicate.

Unlike many Baptist and Church of Christ affiliated colleges, Methodist affiliated colleges are more liberal and have normal college activites (drinking, carousing, etc). I went to college at the University of Central Arkansas in Conway which is also home to Methodist affiliated Hendrix College. Hendrix used to have an annual blowout (Goat Days or something like that) that was eventually banned by local athorities due to the amount of underage drinking that accompanied the event.

-DavidCPA

Hendrix used to have an annual blowout (Goat Days or something like that) that was eventually banned by local athorities due to the amount of underage drinking that accompanied the event.

Goat Roast. I was at the one that got busted by the sheriffs. They demanded that one of the organizers come down to the station for booking. It was between me and about three other folks. Because I had a pocket full of illicit substances (well, okay, one joint), I let one of the other guys throw himself on the legal grenade. He was charged with, I dunno, providing alcohol to minors or some such thing. Goat Roast was pretty subdued after that. It may have even been cancelled altogether.

Of course, I don’t think this is surprising for any college, Methodist or otherwise. And I think the cops cracked down because it was held off campus, in some farmer’s field. The charges were just their way of saying ‘if you’re going to drink, do it on campus’.

-Tom, Hendrix '88

Timing sounds right. I was at UCA from Fall '88 to Spring '92 and I don’t believe Goat Roast was held any of those years though some older college buddies spoke fondly of it.

Did you graduate from Hendrix or just attend? My parents wanted me to attend Hendrix (being the good Methodists that they were), but I liked UCA better and I got a free ride there due to scholarships.

-DavidCPA

Did you graduate from Hendrix or just attend?

Graduated in '88 with a degree in religion. I loved Hendrix. I got much more from my undergraduate studies at Hendrix than my graduate studies at Harvard. It was only after I’d left and had a broader frame of reference that I realized Hendrix placed an emphasis on how to learn rather than what to learn.

If I’m ever rich enough to hand out money, I’ll sure as hell pass some of it on to Hendrix.

Funny thing is I almost didn’t go. In high school, I was working as a copy boy at the Arkansas Gazette. I’m sitting at my desk one night filling out an application to go to University of Arkansas at Fayetteville when Emily Sneddon from the city desk asks why I’d want to go there instead of Hendrix, which is where she went. I was just a stoner kid who didn’t really care one way or the other where I went to college, but I had enough of a crush on Emily Sneddon that I immediately got an application to Hendrix to fill out in front of her.

-Tom

Well, go figure.

Is there a statue of Jimi in the main quad?

I can’t wait for Spliff Club, the ganja gaming column.

No, but they have a cool library built into a small hill and a very attractive campus.

-DavidCPA

Unlike many Baptist and Church of Christ affiliated colleges, Methodist affiliated colleges are more liberal and have normal college activites (drinking, carousing, etc).

Like United Church of Christ colleges? I went to Ursinus College in Collegeville, PA, near King of Prussia. It was a liberal arts school and it was about as “normal” as colleges get with plenty of drinking and carousing. Hell, I drank and caroused enough my senior year to have to go back to repeat a class two years later to earn my degree. (Well…I played way too much NHLPA '93 on the Genesis too.)

I’ve never heard of such schools labeled that way.

–Dave

Sorry to generalize. My experience is with Harding University in Searcy, AR, where I attended basketball camp in high school. When we went to the cafeteria we were required to wear pants. Other prequirements including girls had to wear skirts, regular chapel attendance, so on and so forth. Lets just say the quiet, wholesome life was strongly encouraged at Harding.

-DavidCPA

Uh, the Church of Christ and United Church of Christ would represent the extremely conservative and extremely liberal aspects of Christianity in America. Their similar names are often a source of consternation.

The UCC types could possibly get an excellent party going.

SMU is hardly conservative Christian. I grew up in an area close to the campus, and believe me, those kids know how to party.

As far as the class offered, I think it’s a great opportunity for those who are sent through the collegiate system to get a grasp on the gaming industry, and hopefully they will realize that school isn’t necessary. lol

But yes, the fact that iD would be part of their class is rather funny.

Take it easy. :wink: