Gaming For Little Kids

Has anyone around here with kids checked out Vectorpark’s stuff? I adore Windosill but I’m sure Metamorphabet in particular would be a hoot with little ones.

It’s impressive but my guy got tired of it pretty fast. The lack of objectives makes it good for the very young, but the older ones will quickly grow bored of it.

Some things are universal. I was thinking this was one of them.

Yeah, I can certainly agree with you there.

Anybody have a recommendation for a kids friendly (offline, no/minimal ads, no IAP) dress up game for little girls? Mine like the dress up aspect of the Toca life games, but I think they’d like a bigger view of the clothes.

Google results are dominated by Love Nikki Dress UP Queen, which looks like a PVP/energy ticket/gacha nightmare.

lol my son made his own card games too… and makes me play the game ughh

As it’s been awhile. I have an update on a few games that my 4 year old has really enjoyed.

First is Hidden Folks, https://store.steampowered.com/app/435400/Hidden_Folks/

This is a hand-drawn game where you’re supposed to find hidden objects. It’s very well done, and he enjoys it often even if only for a bit at a time.

He’s also really into sitting next to me and playing Planet Coaster in sandbox mode. He’s not adept at the controls at all, but he enjoys telling me what he wants to design, where he wants it to go, and then he is fascinated by watching the reactions of the guests by using the various cameras to watch them on his rides.

Finally, I’ve let him fool around with just the exploration (non-fighting) portions of No Man’s Sky. He likes mining things, cataloging things, and occasionally jumping into a spaceship to move between planets. I keep him on fully inhabitable planets as he would have no idea how to handle any of the uninhabitable ones.

My kids loved Go Vacation on the Wii, and it’s just been redone for the switch. It’s full price instead of the $5 used I paid for it, but I’ll probably buy it again at full price for switch - they just play it soooo much.

Cheers mate for that one. My soon to be 4yo daughter is delighted :)

FYI, Hidden Folk is also available on iOS, and it has an Apple TV app as well. We play it on the big tv together and works great!

My now-six-year-old is addicted to A Hat in Time, which we’ve almost 100%ed.

What’s a good starting point-and-click adventure game? Optimally it’d be something without incredibly obtuse Sierra-esque puzzles, just sort of basic “oh, there was a ladder in the other room, I can get that to climb up to the attic” kinds of things.

Something LucasArts, I’d say, since they were usually a little on the easy side for the most part. Maybe the remastered Secret of Monkey Island? I don’t think any of the puzzles were too bad, and you can probably nudge them in the right direction as needed.

The first Broken Sword is pretty straightforward, I think.

Except for the goat puzzle. That’s right, twenty or so years later, I still remember the goat puzzle.

Well, it’s no ‘Cat Mustache Puzzle’

Certainly not, but then I don’t think I’d recommend GK3 as a point and click adventure for kids. For several reasons.

I don’t know:

That puzzle ended the game (and series) for me and my friend all those years ago. I remember it well!

@wilykat have you looked at Chuchel?

Oh, I forgot about those. I really liked Machinarium. I wonder if she’d like a story without words more or less. I’ll try that. Thanks!

My 6yo plays the simple hidden object games, like the early Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst games from Big Fish. Not a whole lot of text, and what there is he can practice his reading on. The puzzles are fairly logical as well - oh, I got a key. Now to see what’s in the locked chest. Oh cool, a ladder! Now to get to the 2nd floor of the house, etc.

Ron Gilbert was involved with several kid’s adventure game series. No idea how they hold up or how easy they are to run now though (Looks like there is a collection on Steam):

While at Humongous Entertainment, Gilbert was responsible for games such as Putt-Putt , Fatty Bear , Freddi Fish , Pajama Sam and the Backyard Sports series. Many of these games continued to use an offshoot of the SCUMM engine.