Gaming Industry News

Gaming Industry News - why should I pay over $600 to get BluesNews sent to my inbox?

The first issue isn’t out yet to sample, but does anyone know what exactly GIN is?

www.gamingindustrynews.com/

Well, you also get a complimentary subscription to their sister-mag JUICE.

It’s a trade mag for wealthy corporate execs, not for gaming proles like us.

It’s a trade mag for wealthy corporate execs, not for gaming proles like us.[/quote]

Oh, now I HAVE to read one.

“EXTRA EXTRA! Execs agree gamers want less AI and more Diablo clones”

I love BluesNews and admire the hell out of Heaslip. But… is he really providing all of this for you? Do you have Blues News Insider or something?

“-delivers essential news and in-depth analysis
-connects the dots between seemingly unrelated industry news
-uncovers the important, under-the-radar trends
-expands on key topics not adequately addressed elsewhere
-gathers crucial business intelligence: secret deals, key players, risks taken, insider gossip and so much more”

I love BluesNews and admire the hell out of Heaslip. But… is he really providing all of this for you? Do you have Blues News Insider or something?

“-delivers essential news and in-depth analysis
-connects the dots between seemingly unrelated industry news
-uncovers the important, under-the-radar trends
-expands on key topics not adequately addressed elsewhere
-gathers crucial business intelligence: secret deals, key players, risks taken, insider gossip and so much more”[/quote]

As a gamer, Bluesnews does give me enough. I don’t need to know about “under-the-radar trends.” Actually, as this is directed to execs, I probably have something to do with that “undar-the-radar trend.” Either that or it’s old news to me.

I read BluesNews, check out Gametab, read PC Gamer, CGW, CGM, EGM, GMR, CPU, Max PC and I log on to about five PC game related forums 15 times a day.

After all that, I couldn’t justify spending $600 for even more.

I’m sure there are gamers that would subscribe (if I was rich, I’d subscribe), but I don’t see the point right now with so many resources out there for free.

Maybe my view will change when I get my sample issue.

Um, Andrew, just out of curiousity, is that list of stuff something you have personal knowledge of (as in, you write for them or know them and can vouch for it) or is it just marketing fluff you’re repeating from their website–not a bad thing, in this context, mind you, as we’re just discussing the presumed merits based on their claims. I’m curious, because what they’ claim to be offering is what every “industry insider” mag/site adverstises, and usually don’t deliver.

Um… Marketing fluff. But the $600 price tag makes it obvious that this is in no way aimed at Gamers.

I’m assuming it’s like that daily industry report thingie my dad gets for his field. He works for a company that manufactures and sells ceiling tiles Internationally. I’m pretty sure his subscription costs more than $600 a year because the information he gets from that is rare and worth the price.

Comparing something like that to what Blues does is just weird.

Look, the guy who posted this has said he is just starting college. It’s quite possible he doesn’t know what this kind of trade magazine is, or that they even exist, or that a $600 subscription price means it’s meant for companies to buy subscriptions, not individual gamers. Give him a break.

Where does he say he’s just starting College?

Does he have time to go to College?

Also, the term “Insights for Entertainment Industry Professionals” is part of the masthead and logo… But your point is taken and a break offered.

Now, are you a real doctor?

I used to get something like that too from Snap-on. Never read it.

Does he have time to go to College?

Also, the term “Insights for Entertainment Industry Professionals” is part of the masthead and logo… But your point is taken and a break offered.

Now, are you a real doctor?[/quote]

He read that I was in university in another thread. It’s actually my fourth year at a post high school institute, but I’m taking the slow and cheap road - only 4 classes a semester, so I’ll be done in another year and a half.

Oh, I also work part-time as an facility operater, a fancy term for someone who does odd jobs, at a public community centre/pool. There’s not much to do, and usually end up reading magazines and books, or playing GBA for two or three hours.

But the reason I brought this up is because there was an ad for GIN in GMR, which is a magazine for gamers. Casual gamers.

Again, we’ll see when the first issue arrives.

Tromik, it’s definitely a trade mag and not aimed at gamers. It was advertised in GMR because Ziff can place ads for free in there, I’m sure. It’s probably being advertised in all of Ziff’s game mags and likely some of their other publications, too. No doubt many game publishers will find the first issue delivered free of charge and unsolicited.

I think the real question we should all be looking at is WHO is going to write this stuff. At $600 per subscription, I’d think they’d be paying out some bucks. Also it would be a fine place for those who preach journalism over tripe to pony up their skills.

I’d be interested in seeing what their info sources are. Also, how timely the information actually is - since if it’s a magazine and not a website subscription (hey, wouldn’t it be neat if buying a magazine sub gave you members-only access to a website?) that you’re going to suffer 30 days of lag at least. Putting that in the context of the current HL2 fiasco - well, you’re deaf and blind if you don’t know about that until PCGamer has it on the cover next month.

So, to carry the actual value they imply, they’re going to have to go “real deep” in their coverage. And not just articles like “How to save a mint by outsourcing your game development to India” or whatever, such as magazines like CIO and MS Certified Professional do. I see a lot of trade mags sitting around my office that are targeted at IT Management, and by and large the info is rather dated (by web standards) and truly dry.

However, if GIN&JUICE magazine wants to hire me at .50 a word, well - I welcome our new overlords from Ziff Davis with open arms.

That’s what happens with more general computer journals, virtually every programmer in the world is sent a free copy of issue 1 or an abstract of issue 1, but subscriptions tend to be taken out by corporations and institutions who get one copy for their library.

I don’t know the details of the magazine (obviously) but I’ve been getting MCV for the last year and a half and it’s pretty decent. Sure, it’s stuff aimed way over my head (and on a different continent even!), but it’s cool getting my fix that often. Would I pay for it if I didn’t get it for free? I doubt it, it’s way too much money. But I would be willing to pay for a weekly US mag that was professionally written and was filled with mostly industry news and not reviews and previews.

Guess I’ll try a trial issue and see how it goes, might be cool.