Gaming laptop

As far as I can tell, Max-Q seems mainly to be slightly fancy under-voltage/throttling of existing tech with a splash of branding.

There’s some new thinking about cooling solutions as well, but yeah, probably mostly just branding.

The Asus ROG with the 1080 is around $2700 I think. Still looks amazing though.

I’d be all over the ROG if it was cheaper. My price point for just getting a 1080 is lower than that, unfortunately. Which is why that Max-Q looks attractive.

Nothing I saw in either of those links about pricing, and the pricing simply doesn’t make sense. Why in the world would those manufacturers suddenly chose to sell products equivalent to what they now offer for drastically less. I think the answer is that they aren’t. That price has to be referring to all products that will bear the max-q name, starting with 1050s up.

I’m trying to find the original articles that discussed prices, but no luck so far. The more I think about it, the more I think the price of $1200 is probably crazy-talk, tell the truth.

Semi-related:

I’ve got a 15" HP Spectre,which is fairly marginal as a gaming laptop but I’m trying to play some oldish games on it nonetheless. The screen is 4K, and I haven’t figured out how to work around display scaling issues. Running games at the full resolution is not really an option, but when I go something like 1080p full screen the mouse cursor (if it appears at all) doesn’t line up with the UI.

The easy answer is to just set my desktop to 1920x1080, but if I am playing a strategy game I’ll often bounce between the game and other stuff on my desktop, and it’s kind of a bummer to have to deal with the janky looking scaled res outside of the games.

Example of games that stubbornly refuse to work for me: Civ V, and Fallen Enchantress (misaligned cursor in CIV 5, and misaligned and missing cursor in FE). I tried playing with the “disable display scaling” checkbox in the exe compatability tabs, without success. On the other hand, XCOM works great.

I recall having this issue on my Surface as well. I’ve googled trying to find a fix but there doesn’t seem to be anything outside of some prefs,ini edits for specific games (which I had limited success with). Any suggestions? Just the nature of the beast?

Turns out that IS a max-q laptop. So that answers that question definitively. Reposting your link from the other thread.

$2800 for the 1080 Zephyr and 2300 for the 1070. Nope

I’m pretty happy with the ASUS ROG I picked up earlier in the thread. Might have a price drop if new models are coming out too.

Yeah, very happy with the Gigabyte Aero 15 I got for my son, too.