Gaming Laptops

Hi there folks.

In the next 4 to 8 weeks I am looking to pick up a new laptop. It needs to be able to play EVE and hopefully a few other games. Doesn’t need to run the latest, but needs to keep me entertained when:

• I am on a plane
  • I am in Washington for 3 months (April to June - look me up!)
  • I am in the south pacific next year for 4 months.

Ideally it should have, I figure:

• 1 gig ram
  • some reasonable vid card
  • some reasonable hard drive
  • wifi
  • bluetooth
  • ?

I’m looking for suggestions PLEASE! I understand that Toshiba do very good laptops, and not to expensive (alienware would be nice, but I’m not sure I’m that rich! Around $1200us max is what i’d like to pay). Toshiba topped out the NZ Consumer Magazine ratings, but I’ll take suggestions.

Any ideas on make/model, recommended vid cards (I don’t know 3d cards for laptops), anything… would be appreciated.

Ta!

Calistasd

Well I bought this back in december

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=342106&Pn=Pavilion_dv8408us_Notebook

Yeah it only has 512 ram but once I upgraded it to 2gigs its amazing. It might be a little larger then you want I am not sure. It has a 7600 (not the listed 7400 ) with 256 megs of ram. It’s been able to play every game I’ve thrown at it so far and I am very very happy with it.

It also came with a free upgrade to vista so thats a plus.

I have a friend at work who has had a top end laptop for gaming, for several years. Within a year they always break. They just get too hot while gaming and it takes its toll. He keeps getting the HP Pavilion line, so maybe it is a defect with that series (he has had 3 different models).

In any case, I would strongly recommend the extended warranty. Maybe other people have had better experiences, but after I have seen what has happened to him, I would not feel safe unless I had the extra warranty.

Thanks for the tips. I’m getting a rough idea of what to look for now. Hard to look at US laptops tho, I’m in NZ :D

Well if you do find one you like please link it here so we can take a look at it. I went through no joke 5 laptops before I found the one I have now. I was lucky that they took all the other ones back!

http://powernotebooks.com has worked out well for me and for RSofaer

You can get a ridiculously decked out 20" screen laptop for $4,000. The battery won’t last long on it, though.

They also have less absurd machines.

State or DC?

DC - tho I think I prefer state :)

a/s/l?

Seriously though, this is the perfect excuse for another DC get-together, especially since I missed the last one. It actually gives us a deadline to get off our butts and plan it.

Hehe, sounds good. As long as there’s beer involved! Well, chances are I’ll be driving all over the bloody place, so no drink for me. Anyway, yeah. I’ll let folks know when I’m on the move.

I don’t know what laptop prices are like in NZ, but at US$1200 the biggest limitation is usually the video card: you’re often stuck with integrated video.

Well the one I linked is 1000 and has a 7600!

7400, according to the specs - still better than integrated video, though. Like you said, needs more RAM, but that’s easy enough to add.

Yeah but like I said the spec’s page is wrong I was pleasntly surprised when I picked it up and saw it had a 256 meg 7600 rather then a 128 7400. Also if he wanted he could add 2gigs of ram to it for another 200 bringing the total to 1200!

I really like the HP notebooks, especially for their value. Although I’d probably push for a new Core 2 Duo version:
http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200334+4294966923+4294964733+400547+4294966731&Ne=303826&Cn=Notebooks_Tablet_PCs_Notebooks

This one right here is a great deal

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&N=200334+4294966923+4294964733+400547+4294966731&Ne=303826&product_code=344090&Pn=Pavilion_dv9220us_Notebook

comes with 2gigs of ram and its almost the exact price he wants to pay.

Gah, looks lovely. But not sure it’s available in NZ.

Let you into a secret. My father’s business gets dealer rates from HP and other distributors here. I have the fun of going through obscure online catalogs trying to match up reviews with notebooks I’d be willing to purchase. It’s tricky.

This is helping tho. I like the look of the HP machines.

What I find odd is you can get

• reasonably priced, great processor, great ram, great vid card machines
    or
  • expensive great processor great ram, bad vid card machines
    or
  • cheap everything machines that are cheap
    or
  • small machines with low end everything that are expensive
    or…
  • etc…

The combinations of seeming contrarines of pricing and features and widgets gets quite quite confusing!

I’m getting there tho :D

Peter

Oh I thought your plan was to buy the laptop once you got here in the states. My mistake!

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. Want to get it all set up and running before I go. And I think my folks dealer rates make up for the somewhat cost savings of getting one in the states :)

Ok I’m heading towards something like this…

Asus F3Jc
* Intel Core Duo T2250 1,73GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB
* Intel 945PM chipset
* 1GB DDR2 RAM (1x512MB stock Nanya DDR2-667 and 1x512MB added Hynix DDR2-533)
* 15.4" WXGA “glossy” screen at 1280x800 resolution.
* nVidia Geforce Go 7300 128MB (up to 512MB with TurboCache) at 350/600MHz core/memory speeds
* 80GB Seagate Momentus 5400.2 HDD (5400rpm, 8MB cache, SATA)
* 8x Super Multi DVD±RW optical drive (Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S)
* 3-in-1 SD/MMC/Memory Stick reader
* Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG 802.11a/b/g Mini-PCIe wireless card
* 6Cell 4800mAh battery
* Ports: 1 x Headphone jack, 1 x Microphone-in jack, 1 x RJ11 Modem jack for phone line, 1 x RJ45 LAN Jack, 4 x USB 2.0 ports, 1x IEEE1394 port, 1 x TV Out (S-Video), 1 x ExpressCard54 slot, 1 x DVI Port, 1 x VGA Port
* Dimensions: 365 x 269.5 x 28-40.5 mm
* Weight: 2.95kg / 6.5lbs (with 6Cell battery)

I can get it for about $2300nz. Reasonable chip, reasonable vid card, reasonable all round I think.

I can’t seem to get a combination of capable vid card and chip without heading into high end chips with low to high end cards, or some combination of AMD or ATI or on board… Any comments?