Gaming on (yeah, go ahead and laugh!) a Macbook

I had good luck playing old PC games (Torment, Baldur’s Gate, etc) via Parallels.

A friend spilled beer on my PC, so I’ve been using a cheap MacBook for the past few days. It’s set up to run XP Pro through BootCamp, and while it’s not the manliest of all computers, I’ve found that it runs EVE far better than I would have expected.

(The PC is ok, by the way: I brought it to a friend who fixes computers to see what could be saved, and he sent me an e-mail today saying it was ready to be picked up. Apparently he just waited four days for the beer to dry, and hit the power button. I feel dumb.)

lol.

Just get Starcraft Loader. Its not an ISO, so it doesn’t need to be mounted.

I have it… I could send it in an Email if you want. Sure, no Campaign, or music, but hell, why would you need either? Though, I do love the campaign…

What’s going to help is 2g of RAM. If you don’t have it, go for it.

That said, I don’t do much gaming but WoW on the Macbook. I’ve thought about getting a few more games for it, but I’m waiting for Parallels to get 3d in so I can just run some of the PC games I already have.

Oh, and Defcon just came out for the Mac.

Yea, i don’t know for sure, but i think Dominions 3 runs faster on my iMac than my PC, even though the iMac has a Core Duo and the PC the Core 2 Duo. Maybe it’s the newer code, or it might just be an incorrect impression.

You know that VMWare Fusion Beta 3 has D3D support for DX 8.1 games, right? I’ve been fooling with it a bit, and you can play at least some games. The nice this is that Fusion is currently free, and there are ways to convert your Parallels VM over to fusion (and vice versa, I think.)

I’m very interested to see when both Paralleles and Fusion mature a little more, and people don’t need bootcamp anymore (which I’m not allowed to install on my work machine…doh.)

Yeah, it’s just not something I feel like screwing with right now.

I feel dumb

Can’t be half as bad as when one of my cow-orkers dumped my entire tank of Sea Monkies into a $3k server…