Gaming Podcast Discussion

And here’s another person for Gamers with Jobs. I’ve come to realize in the past few weeks that GWJ hits my demographic pretty perfectly, as even when they get off topic (Dr. Horrible discussions or D&D 4th Edition, as recent examples), I’m still very interested.

I used to enjoy the Gamespot podcast, but the turnover has drastically affected the show.

During the commute as well but I only travel about an hour a day. Thus anything longer than an hour takes multiple days and I feel it just drags hearing people talking about the same thing multiple days in a row.

If I don’t follow a website or a magazine, I don’t have any interest in what those people have to say.

I’ll have to try it again. I remember listening to it for a month in 2006 I think and it really didn’t clicked with me.

Fair enough. So long as I listen to the podcast long enough for me to care about the hosts’ opinions, the website/magazine doesn’t mean much to me. Case in point: I love 1up’s podcasts, but I don’t tend to visit 1up.com for much else (though I do subscribe to EGM and GFW when it was around).

Agreed. If you haven’t gathered it from the conversation above, the old Gamespot crew is now over at GiantBomb.com. The giant bomb podcast is essentially the old Gamespot one as a result.

You’re not making much sense. It’s not like they’re going to talk about the website or mag all the time (though they did do one focused on the site when it launched recently). Best not to listen to GWJ either cuz they don’t have a magazine!

PC Gamer Podcast, Gamers with Jobs, and GFW Radio are the ones I listen to. I really like PCGamer Podcast and Gamers with Jobs. GFW radio is decent, but seems to go WAY off topic. Feels too much like just a bunch of guys sitting around and BS’ing… plus, I can’t listen to it at work since they swear like sailors.

But I do read their website articles.

Ah, fuck the haters. I love your podcast.

I’m a fan of both 1up Yours and GFW Radio. It’s always a week to week thing though in that sometimes, mostly on 1up Yours, things can get a bit out of hand. However, I think they’ve both shown that they can have some very interesting discussion about games and gaming. I’ll say though that Shawn Elliott, Jeff Green and John Davison will always pull me to a podcast, for differing reasons, but I like listen to what all three of them have to say. I miss the more regular production of the gamasutra podcasts, but I think that just has to do with Tom Kim’s schedule. The backlog there is pretty sweet though.

Yep, Gamers with Jobs followed by Games for Windows radio. If Green joined GwJ then I could happily retire GfW.

If it’s an interesting topic or interview then 1up yours gets a listen too.

I don’t hate Not-Gfw Radio 2006 (or whatever year they think it is :), but it DOES drift a bit ;)

Added GwJ to my subscriptions…now I have a huge backlog of radio, too :(

Just cuious what games people play while listening to podcasts? I’m partial to either Skate of Civ Rev, both of which play fine without sound.

GFW and 1UP Yours are the first two I listen to (being of a similar aged demographic to Mr. Green, I appreciate his participation), then Legendary Thread and The Instance for WoW news & discussion.

On the second tier, I squeeze in the PCGamer podcast if I’m on the road a lot in a particular week. I’ll have to give GiantBomb a try, it seems.

It was just a limited series, but I enjoyed the Penny Arcade series that Dragon Magazine recently did. I was afraid that listening to a podcast of web comic creators playing D&D would cause a Geek Black Hole, but I happily survived. I just can never mention that to non-geeks, ever.

I listen to them while jogging, and sometimes while driving.

Can’t imagine playing games at the same time, as I tend to focus better on a single task at a time. :)

Hah! And after that comment my post title amusingly changed to “Good Shape.”

These things go well with Puzzle Quest or other games where I’m sick of the noises. Also any MMO.

I’m almost done with the 7/25 1upYours. During the E3 wrapup discussion I laughed out loud when Shane was criticizing the MS press conference and said he wished they had shown some Games for Windows games. This comment came amidst him defending the Sony presser (which I think has been unfairly bagged on) and trying to downplay the effectiveness of the MS presser. I don’t disagree that showing some GFW stuff would’ve been cool, but I know for a fact that Shane couldn’t care less about playing PC games. I thought it was a little off (though somewhat characteristic) that he downplayed the RE5 portion of the MS presser too. I have a feeling that had that been in Sony’s press conference, he might’ve had a different reaction. It’s interesting to me to see people’s biases come out like that.

He’s ridiculous. I don’t mind his presence so much when there is a good, logical counter, but when he gets going and nobody is around to verbally shut him down it can really make the show painful.

You’re right about that zen, but that didn’t happen this week on 1uY. David Ellis, Garnett Lee, and John Davison all disagreed, especially with regard to the RE5 stuff, and Shane was reigned in. He even said that MS had the best presser because of the FFXIII announcement. I didn’t mean to crap on Shane too much, I just thought the GFW comment was priceless coming from him. Shane rightly pointed out Sony’s phenomenal PSN titles as part of his Sony defense strategy. I just thought criticizing MS for showing some of the biggest multiplatform titles during their presser wasn’t really fair.

Only while playing Madden or NCAA Football as the announcing gets very repetitve very quickly. Anything else and listening would be a distraction.