Gaming Podcast Discussion

Been using Overcast for years, and loving it. Good riddance of that horrible Apple Podcast app. Yearly sub of 10bucks to remove ads and add a 2gb online storage, which i find extrememy convenient on Applés closed OS.
GUI is a personnal thing, but Overcast’s is why I picked it over Brian’s suggestion. Try both!

I use Pocket Casts on Android and am happy with it so far.

Another vote for Overcast. Easily the best player I have used (although I haven’t used anything else in 2 years, so maybe everything else got better?).

I use the Apple one and it’s okay, but I’m not a huge fan of the layout - seems harder then it used to be to find new podcasts vs. old ones I haven’t gotten around to yet. What did the new update do that has you shopping for a new one?

I was going to say, “Don’t get me started,” but you just did. Yes, the Apple app has been “OK” with many annoyances, but now it’s finally got my goat. Basically, I just want a list of all my podcasts, by date, which I can play the oldest one and it will play the next oldest, then the next, without repeating the same show multiple times, or ones that I’ve already listened to. Ideally, I could just tell Siri, “play Podcasts” and it will start playing the one I’ve just been listening to, or the oldest one after that, but it just doesn’t work.

Additionally, if I fall behind a week or two (as I often do), if a particular podcast doesn’t get played for a week, it will automatically stop updating it, so that when I do make it through the backlog, it will never come back up until I manually add it back.

Finally, I can’t just start listening by opening the app and pressing play. The app randomly gets “reset” all the time, back to a default state where, if I don’t want to play the latest episode that it “recommends” I have to press “Library” > “Episodes” > scroll to the bottom > “Show Name” > “Play”, a 5 step process.

Don’t let the subscription thing to Overcast scare you. The free part is really good. The ads aren’t random (or not so random) Google ads, they are only for podcasts. Also they are only on certain pages so they aren’t constantly in the way. All the key features are free.

He did add a new black mode that looks great on an iPhone X’s OLED screen which I think is only for subscribers though.

The black mode has been quickly made available to everyone. The only 2 things the sub gets you now are the removal of ads (which are out of the picture already if you are using something like Weblock) and the online storage.
That storage is very useful to people like me who listen to old, old shows that aren’t mirrored online anymore. Before, I used to have to go through the Books app of Apple (since they removed the possibility of resuming audio file from the music app - that segmentation past iOS7 really sucked in my opinion). Getting the fake audiobooks to be recognized there was quite a bother, as was getting them on the device.
With Overcast, I just up them through a browser interface and they synch on the device. Huge convenience, but limited to 2GB of space at a time.

FWIW I use Downcast and find it to be great, been using it for several years.

I’ve just switched to CastBox for Android, which is a very new app and very pretty but has some odd interface kinks to work out (what’s a playlist exactly?).

Oh look, it’s available for IOS too.

Has there been another gaming podcast like Jumping the Shark? The combination of Bill, Brandon, Danielle and Todd was so good. With the added benefit of a guest like Tom Chick from time to time. Is there a podcast of that sort these days? With quite a few tastes and interests represented around the table, and yet, all of whom sound like very reasonable people who are interesting to listen to?

Currently the only gaming podcast I have heard in the past five years is the Qt3 Gaming podcast, which is it’s own special unique thing.

The Waypoint podcast might be in a similar ballpark? That, along with the Giant Bombcast/Beastcast is pretty much what I stick to now in terms of gaming podcasts.

My current gaming podcast are:

1. Video Games Hot Dog (Frog Fractions 2 dev + West of Loathing devs) They very often have a different take on games than everyone else. More people should know about this!

2. Crate and Crowbar

After those, probably Waypoint. Occasionally Beastcast.

Brandon is doing another podcast these days, Divided by Werewolves, but it is a very different thing. More focus on movies and tv, particularly horror ones. And since he no longer writes game reviews and articles, the number and type of games Brandon plays is far less.

Other than Qt3 I listen to 3MA and Designer Notes, @SorenJohnson’s podcast. But they are very distinct things, and in no way similar to what you’re going for

Thanks. I just listened to the latest episode, which discussed games of 2017 that just missed the cut from the top 10 of the year. They went around the table and discussed Prey, Nier: Automata, Stories Untold and Afghanistan '11. A very interesting discussion that covered both the shortcomings and the strengths of those games. That was great! Thanks for the heads up on this podcast.

Actually I should give 3MA another shot. Back when I used to listen to them, I used to play a lot of strategy games, and take active part in the discussions here about the genre. And I always felt that at the time, compared to the in-depth discussion at Qt3, 3MA podcast never really got very deep. It was always a very surface level discussion of the games compared to the depth we used to go into at Qt3 discussion on the boards. Even when Soren was on as a guest, what he talked about wasn’t as in-depth as what he wrote at Qt3 or his own website. So 3MA was very frustrating to me at the time for never going deep enough. But now that I’m on a 10 year moratorium from strategy games, 3MA should be perfect for me.

Not quite the same, but DLC might work for you. Only two hosts, but they have good guests and have different, complementary tastes and interests. Depends on your level of interest in VR. Danielle has several other podcasts too, which are worth checking out.

These are the ones I Iisten to.

Personally, I miss 1UP Yours from a long, long time ago.

First time that I listened to the Giant Bombcast and I can’t stand it. They talk over each other, drop F-Bombs constantly like they’re 15 years old… uggg. So glad there are things like the GWJ Conference Call, Qt3, and Three Moves Ahead.

Did they actually talk about games in the first half hour?

I don’t recall when they did, but they started complaining about some Animal Crossing type of game. I was on the treadmill, so it stayed on until I was finished.

GB has sadly gone downhill in the years since Ryan passed away. It was such a tight, fantastic crew with incredible synergy, but one by one my favorites keep leaving, and the quality of all the podcasts with them is diluted with personalities I just can’t stand. Almost every time (every time?) they hire someone new I just don’t really like them, despite trying to give them a chance. And they’ll spend 20 minutes talking about repairing old arcades or something, and then mention in passing something I am interested in with a “check out the quick look for more on that” and it’s very aggravating. I haven’t been as into gaming podcasts in the past years, I’m more into comedy podcasts now instead.