Gaming Podcasts - Good, Bad, and Nerdy

Yeah, I was really wondering why I was devoting my time to this as they kept going on about some obscure bay-area rapper (I think) and his connection to an energy drink.

Most of the ones I listen to have already been mentioned except for All Games Interactive. A live daily show that also releases a podcast later in the day.

I listen to some of the bigger/higher pedigree podcasts (1Up Yours, Game Theory, GfW, CAGcast). I do find it interesting that pretty much all the podcasts listed in this thread are bigger commercial ones, with the exception of Game Theory and CAGcast.

I also listen to quite a few smaller ‘grassroots’ podcasts, in most cases because I’m part of the community and/or know someone involved: GCN Video Game Show, UncleGamer, Acheivement Junkie, and Orange Lounge Radio (who just last week moved under the All Games hosting/promotion umbrella). These shows likely won’t appeal to most people here, but I try to stay aware and active in the grassroots scene.

I’ve also recently started listening to Xbox 360 Fanboy which I think is pretty good for a grassroots podcast, and I do listen to MS’s GamerScore Blog Podcast even though they’re a bit too transparently self-serving sometimes.

Someone above mentioned Gaming Steve. I tried to listen to him a few times, but he spends more time than anyone I’ve ever heard talking about how much he knows about the gaming industry and how many contacts he has, yet he’s wrong about all sorts of shit. It’s like what Shane B is accused of x10. I’m glad the guy’s out there doing it and all, but it’s not for me.

I am indeed “on break”. I just maxed out for a bit. But I’m seeing Lich King in a couple weeks, and I’m sure that will suck me back in. I think we’re doing a Legendary Thread again soon…but I’ll need to talk about Mythos instead. :)

The Totally Rad Show from Revision3 is a favorite of mine, it’s video and only part of the show is video games but I really enjoy that one.

GFW is the first one I go to each week without hesitation followed by Game Theory and the Hotspot and I’m still trying out Giant Bomb. I dropped PC Gamer after listening to it for over 100 episodes, the Skype recording was a problem and without Jeremy there to tell them one at a time it’s worse now, they also just annoy me now with their commentary and especially their answers to many of the caller’s questions. Back when Dan Morris hosted the show it was at the top of the list.

The one I really miss was a WoW specific podcast called Taverncast, it was a great show that could double you over with laughter and had the best production of any genre of podcast I’ve heard over the last 3 years.

Hey do you still have any Pear Pies sitting around the office by chance? :)(You have no idea how much that segment killed me)

What’s up AGI buddy. I was gonna recommend that too, but I figure the people here won’t have the patience for it. 2 to 2 and a half hours a day, and Scot puts a lot of people off. And it’s really only good for 360 coverage and humor. I’d mentioned the cast in a previous podcast thread and the response here was uniformly negative, heh.

I used to listen to a pretty ridiculous number of podcasts, but as I’ve gotten busier over the past year, I had to really narrow it down.

That said, GFW Radio is by leaps and bounds my favorite. It’s simply brilliant and has everything I want in a podcast, which seems strange given how off topic it usually is – not that there’s anything wrong with that.

1UP Yours, Retronauts and Legendary Thread are all good listens, too, and I sporadically listen to a lot of indie/community podcasts like Sarcastic Gamer, Uncle Gamer, XBL Radio, and GamerAndy Live.

I tried listening to yesterday’s podcast, but got stuck in two hours of biker discussion and talk about how cloverfield sucked.

I listen to Game Theory, GFW, and One Life Left sporadically. I used to listen to 1up Yours, but Garnett Lee bugs me, so I stopped. Legendary Thread would be OK if it weren’t for the multitude of awkward silences.

I’d really like to find a good PnP RPG podcast, but no such luck yet. Fear The Boot is OK, but rambles.

Thanks for listing this one, it’s great. They had me intrigued with the adult content disclaimer, I was totally sold when Ann said “telly” in her sexy British accent.

My only “drop everything to listen to” podcast is GFW, without fail.

Yeah, that can happen. I’m not listening right now during the school year, but when I’m working full-time, like summers, at a boring job, a long show like that is a lifesaver. There are definitely highs and lows. The show is very participatory, and of course callers’ call quality varies (I’ve called in a number of times mostly to just antagonize the host), but when the show’s going well, it’s funnier than even GFW.

RE WoW podcasts: Someone mentioned Taverncast, which I casually listened around the BC launch. It was impressive how much effort went into the editing process, chapter breaks, image pop-ups, etc… I never quite understood the format of the show, very random, lots of skits, also pretty hardcore when it chose to be. It was always highly recommended though, didn’t realize its gone, a shame.

I also used to enjoy WoWcast, which had nifty chapter breaks for jumping to various discussion topics instantly. A bit dry on occasion, and it probably wouldn’t fulfill hardcore player interest(hosts weren’t total endgame elitists),but very informative as to news and general game discussion. I rather enjoyed listening to it.

GameLife is the best. For all the wrong reasons.

Maybe I’m just a bastard that way.

Its ok when its rolling, but I’m trying it again right now, and the first like…25 minutes is talking about quiznos

Yeah, that happens. The show’s mostly for someone who is stuck working, etc. Once you know the regular callers and the other recurring people, it’s like, a lot of fun.

I’ve only listened to one so far, but the newer podcast that accompanies the Brainy Gamer blog seems to be pretty good. It has a good mix of interviews, industry analysis, and generally interesting commentary.

are there any videogame podcasts that actually discuss sports games and don’t say “oh, none of us play or watch sports, we’ll skip that” everytime one comes up?

this is probably the wrong place to ask

You can give Sports Anomaly (decent once you get used to style) a try.

Riding the Pines was recommended to me but I have yet to try it.

The 1up show ‘Sports Anomaly’ might be what you are looking for? I’ve never listened personnally, but I’m also one of those guys that silently is thankful when sports game discussion is brushed off.