Gardening 2013 Edition

I remember an old thread about someone trying to keep their Christmas trees watered but I can’t find it now.

I made a very simple plant waterer yesterday. Total time: 20 minutes Cost: Negligible

I googled up some instructions but they are too complicated or require tools/ingredients I would have had to go buy.

Tools:

Screw or cutting tool to punch hole into plastic
One gallon water/milk jug (the handle makes it easier to carry)
Heavy object (I used a big bolt)

Braid. It has to be long enough to reach the bottom of the container and then a few more inches spare. Longer is better than shorter.
An old Tshirt works well. Cut 3 strips 1 inch wide. Braid them tightly. Old shoelaces may work too.
Packing tape (optional)

Instructions:
Punch hole into container. If you need more room, make cross sections so they can be closed up nicely. This helps cut down evaporation.
Put braid into container
Pull braid back out, and tie end of braid to bolt. This is so it is heavy and always sinks to the bottom of the water container.

Put packing tape all around exposed ends to minimize evaporation.

Now just stick the other end into the plant.

Water in my wick was traveling up about 1 inch every 2 minutes. Darker sections of the strip are wet. I estimate I lost 1 inch of water in 24 hours of use so far. This means a container would last about 10 days.