Gardening Stuff

And the larger they get, the bigger the seeds are so I’m trying to ameliorate that. I will cut the blossom end off when I pick them to see if that makes a difference. What I’ve read on-line is to store them at 55°-60­° and they do quite well. But I don’t have anywhere in my house that is at that temperature.

One word of warning though, is maybe don’t cut the blossom off of all of them. Part of me feels like cutting into the fruit is gonna make them shrivel or something if you don’t use them soon. Maybe do some experimentation, but not do it to everything, so if it doesn’t work, it doesn’t ruin all the stuff.

Since I picked my turnips, and decided to reseed that bed with more stuff, this video is timely. Makes sense, and seems pretty obvious. I already knew that drying out soil screwed seeds, but this is a pretty simple fix.

Thanks for posting that. Can’t wait to hear how your newly seeded stuff works out.

I planted some more turnips, but spread out more so hopefully they will get bigger. Also collards, and beets.

Sorry, I tried to watch that video, and in the first 50 seconds he asked me to Like his youtube crap 3 times because he is working sooooo hard, demonstrated his lack of ability to compose English sentences, and complained about how the sun works with an incorrect analogy… so get off my lawn I guess.

Lol, the guy is trying to earn some money on YouTube, so i don’t mind him asking. He’s got good garden advice though.

That’s what 125% speed is for. Once he gets through all the personal stuff, the information he provides is excellent. I like him because he’s quite genuine.

Tomato Hornworms have killed 2 of my 7 tomato plants in just 4 days. I check in them morning, then the next night I check again only to find nothing but bare stems left. I’ve only located two so far but am worried there are more I can’t see. I don’t understand how they can decimate a 4 foot tall tomato plant so quickly. They look like Charlie Brown Christmas trees now.

Definitely give diatomaceous earth a shot.

I found aphids were what were keeping my okra from thriving, and poofed them good with DE, and it pretty much obliterated the aphids.

I think it will have the same effect on pretty much any insect (so don’t poof the flowers, or it might hurt bees). I figure it will probably work on the beetles, and won’t put toxins on your food.

Yikes. I cannot recall ever having a tomato plant actually killed by a hornworm. They’re not that hard to find - but it might also be help to find them if you prune the plants to promote airflow, which I do anyway.

TLDW, soak ground a lot, put seeds in, put cardboard mulch on top, if germination is 9 days remove carboard in 7 days. Yeah he gets to it at the 11 minute mark out of a 12 minute video.

I picked the first long bean! Not a lot you can cook with only a single long bean, but picking it will cause the plant to make more. And at least now I’ve successfully gotten another type of food.

Can better appreciate its full beany glory from this angle.

That’s awesome. So are those good for stir fry? They look like they might have small seeds? If so I want to grow them next year.

I stirfried it with some zucchini, onions and carrots, and it was great.

Nothing super special… Tasted pretty much exactly like other green beans.

That sounds wonderful.

If anyone here doesn’t follow the cooking thread, and would like to see the first mini batch of cucamelons, they’re over here.

We pulled our garlic out. I love garlic!

Never trust anyone who doesn’t like garlic. (keep a sharpened stake out)

How long did those bulbs have to develop?

Yeah, I’m interested in growing garlic because I use it so much. Can you go over your process for growing it, in as much detail as you can?