Gardening Stuff

Yeah our lettuce bolts immediately out here but we can grow these alright.

Although my wife is correcting me about the lettuce, apparently we can grow that in the winter lol

Yeah, lettuce doesn’t like the heat down here. And we don’t have much cool weather. I wouldn’t even try it. But good luck! Heh, winter. 65 degrees.

My wife has tries lettuce here but it bolts way to early in the season to make it worth the space it takes up. Some of the herbs we grow do that but they can be trimmed way back and they will continue growing.

It’s the days of 80s and 90s. That’s all of spring and summer pretty much. Heck, even early fall.

Here it’s the days of 100’s and high 90’s. :)

Two more, together they probably weigh as much as the last one. Probably another year before we’ll get any more. But they are the ultimate plant and forget thing so it’s hard to complain.

I am amazed at the idea of growing pineapples.

I actually have one growing in a pot in my office, but it’s just leaves , and i kind of assumed it wouldn’t ever produce actual fruit.

You can just plant the top in the ground and it’ll grow. At least here. My wife will put the tops in water and let them root first to give them a head start. To do that you need to change the water daily and peel off any dead stuff at the bottom and just let the very bottom of it touch the water so they don’t rot. It helps to twist the tops off the pineapple before you cut them, you don’t want any fruit on there.

But all that is unnecessary, you can just plant it in the ground. And the runner(s) that comes out of the plant after they fruit will root just fine by themselves for new ones. They like sandy soil and neglect.

Yeah, i know how to plant them, like I said i have one growing in my office.

I’m just amazed at the idea of it actually producing fruit.

How long did it take for your plant to mature and make fruit?

I think it’s 18 months to 2 years from young plant to fruit. Then the plant dies off and the things it produces takes its place.

Take the plant from your office and throw it in the ground. :)

We have about 9 in our backyard that have been there for a while and we tend to get 3 fruit a year, so it might be longer. Plant a lot of them. Just eat pineapples from the grocery store somewhat regularly for a couple months and you’ll have a bunch ready to go in no time.

But it’s probably pretty climate sensitive and my wife doesn’t think it’ll do well in Pennsylvania. If you do plant it make sure it gets a lot of sun.

Nah, it won’t survive the winter here in Pennsylvania.

We have two in a pot in our back yard. Nothing. Should have put them directly in the dirt. I think the rain here leached the nutrients from the soil. Might fertilize or transplant.

Bury them in the ground and forget about them, eventually you’ll get a surprise. When the fruit is starting to grow and even when it’s deep green, go ahead and get them protected from critters. Otherwise, before you think it’s time, you’ll find a bite removed from it.

Problem here is the gardeners. The HOA guys. They spray weed killer. They killed several plants. If I put them in the area that we have fenced in, they will kill them. Do I want to fight my HOA? No. ::sigh::

That really sucks, sorry man.

Ok, so I’m attempting fermentation for the first time, with a bunch of stuff from the garden.

Now, there are some onions in there that i didn’t grow, but the rest of it includes:
Hungarian wax peppers
Radishes
Cucamelons
Some what i guess might be called “spring garlic”.

I had a garlic clovr that sprouted a while back, so i just planned it to see what would happen.

It became what was kind of like a garlicky green onion. Since it never got cold, it didn’t divide into more cloves, but it became a fat little onion like thing, with leaves that were really garlicy.

So anyway, i threw that in there too.

So now it’s sitting down in my basement, in a loosely covered jar. I’ve got a weight in the jar to keep everything under the water.

Let’s see what happens.

We just picked up this book and I look forward to giving some stuff a try:

https://www.amazon.com/Noma-Guide-Fermentation-lacto-ferments-Foundations/dp/1579657184/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

When it works great, it seems easy. When it doesn’t, it seems impossible.

It seems like there’s not a lot to it. Put stuff in salt brine… Wait.

I expect to die from some kind of food poisoning.

I made beer a few times (there are a couple serious microbrewers around here IIRC), but most of my research said that the nice thing about fermentation is that when things go wrong, it’s really really obvious. Like, instead of smelling like beer, it smells like death and there’s slime all over it.

So, assuming that is also true of pickle fermentation, you probably won’t poison yourself accidentally.