Garlic Festival shooting - Gilroy, CA

Shooter possibly still active. Reports vary so far of course but multiple injuries for sure. One story saying 60+. One child killed too…still all unconfirmed.

Lets get rid of guns. This country is too stupid and evil to have them.

We talked about checking out the Garlic Festival today. There’s always a ton of great food.

Fortunately, we decided to hide from the heat.

FFS. The GARLIC FESTIVAL?!

Where in this country is it safe to go, if not there?

When I saw the news, I had this exact thought. I drive through Gilroy about once a month on average and it always makes me happy: the garlic smell, the cows, etc.

And now, blech.

I mean, it sounds quaint, but the Garlic Festival is a pretty huge event.

Was it all that warm? I heard around 80 F, which if it’s dry (and especially if there’s a breeze) isn’t a big deal.
But still, horrible. Wasn’t there another mass shooting in NYC just yesterday-- did I hear something about that?

I can’t stress this enough, but seek out local sources. Any internet news will not have boots on the ground.

In this case - San Jose Mercury news is probably one of the closest.

Have we got to the thoughts and prayers part yet?

Really though this is… it’s just unacceptable, but I guess not enough people feel that way because so many won’t do anything about it.

It won’t change until the wrong people start getting mass shot (aka rich folks), or minorities start arming themselves en masse.

I’ve been checking in with friends and co-workers this evening. So far so good. Hoping it keeps that way.

I don’t know. It was 103 here, so I just assumed.

Horrible.

The perp cut a hole through some unguarded chain-link fence to bypass security. Police are saying there may be another individual involved who helped the shooter.

We’ve never gone, as it’s always too hot. But sure have considered it a lot.

They always say this and its almost never true.

Historically, there has been a huge fear of the underclasses being armed, going back to seventeenth-century Virginia. One of the many reasons for slavery includes the fact that they could exclude African slaves from owning guns, in a colony where otherwise every man was required to be armed. That, and the fact that they needed to insure that those armed white ex-servants who were a rebellious lot had something to shoot at other than rich people. The much loved right to bear arms, an idea that long predates the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment, was always bounded by the unspoken caveat “but only by the right people.:” When the Panthers tried to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights in Oakland in the sixties, somehow the holiness of the right to bear arms was forgotten. So, yeah, you can bet that the surest way to gain mass support for anti-gun legislation would be to arm all the people the MAGA crowd hate.

Could be done via a national emergency (and fairly inexpensively) , and the gun manufacturers wouldn’t complain, so the NRA would be muzzled.

I think this has already been answered. Arming the people that MAGA hate would just be an excuse for the police to shot more minorities.

Oh, I’m not advocating it as a course of action. What you’re bringing up though is I think a separate if related issue. At the very least, theoretically again, it could force people to confront the contradictions in their beliefs. What people mean when they say they support the right to bear arms is that they support the right of people like them–not only in terms of race, but in terms of aims, beliefs, culture, etc. This isn’t really that surprising, given that the entire edifice of American thought about liberty and freedom is erected on a foundation that explicitly and intentionally excluded all parts of the population that didn’t fit the plan.

I doubt anyone will confront anything. It’ll be just another reason to murder brown people.

Here we go, down a familiar line:

Authorities identified Santino William Legan, 19, as the man who shot and killed three people at the Gilroy Garlic Festival, two law enforcement officials told CNN on Monday.

A 6-year-old boy was among the dead, and another 12 people, ranging in age from 12 to 69 years old, were injured in the attack, authorities said. The gunman opened fire on the crowds attending the outdoor festival around 5:40 p.m. local time, according to Gilroy Police Chief Scot Smithee. The gunman was killed by police on the scene, he added.

An Instagram account, which was created four days ago under the suspect’s name, posted two messages shortly before the attack began.

One included a photograph of people walking around the Garlic Festival with the words “Ayyy garlic festival time Come get wasted on overpriced sh**.”

The other, which included a photo of Smokey the Bear holding a sign saying “Fire Danger High Today,” stated: “Read Might is Right by Ragnar Redbeard. Why overcrowd towns and pave more open space to make room for hordes of mestizos and Silicon Valley white tw**s?”

A mestizo is a person of mixed descent, commonly white and Hispanic or white and American Indian.

“Right is Might,” first published in the late 1800’s, has been described as a white supremacist text that promotes anarchy while vilifying Christianity. The book calls Jesus the “true Prince of Evil” and says that the natural order is a world at war in which the strong must vanquish the weak and white men must rule over those of color.