Gawker Sites Hacked, 1.3 Mil Passwords Compromised

The internal chat logs / emails that were released are even more incriminating. When the owners realized that user names / passwords had been hacked, they essentially said so what, it’s just the peons…

Diego

I read your post, quit out of my browser, and saw the dreaded Steam re-login window. Had a moment of sleep deprived panic, since I’d never registered on Gawker…and then I realized there was a huge windows 7 update last night, and one of my other computers had auto-logged into steam more quickly after restarting. Stupid passwords.

That was gallows humor. They knew they were screwed at that point.

Hard to tell without context.

I’ve been there, man. That dude was beating his head on the desk over and over while saying it.

It sounded like humor to me. Not very incriminating and it’s a excellence case for why privacy is needed.

Having read the context, it sounds more like arrogance than humor.

XPav’s post mad me nervous enough I spent about 30 minutes this morning changing the password at a number of websites I frequent, as well as my external email. Although I didn’t use one password only, the leading characters were close enough that I went ahead and changed them all.

In fairness, most of the Lifehacker stories that aren’t “how to stop being so fucking poor you dumbass” are about how not to suck at passwords.