GDR basically dead?

Is gamesdomain’s PC coverage pretty much dead? They seem to have only a couple of reviews a month, Brett Todd’s column seems to be gone, and they have very few features. They used to have great reviews, but now it just seems like they are barely going through the motions.

Andrew Bub still writes reviews and previews over there too. However, i have not seen his HubBubble bath column as of late.

I too have noticed the content slowing. The demo and shareware sections especially seem to have suffered. I miss the Target Range updates and the dedicated Strategy area in general, but I am sure they work with what resources they have.

GDR is owned by BritishTelecom, which is basically “MaBell” over there. They canceled all the columns, including Brett’s and both of mine, because, in a nutshell, we weren’t “British” enough. Sadder for Brett than me, maybe, because Brett did the Rant for an ungodly number of years and they didn’t even have the courtesy to provide a “goodbye” column opportunity. Brett and I both do some coverage there. Oh, and I think Gary Downs lives in North America too.

They do seem to be focusing more on consoles than PC, maybe that’s a Brit thing too.

All this happened in September btw (the refocus, not BT buying them).

aka “interesting”

Heh,
we can’t all be “Gamespotting.” But seriously, they objected to my baseball column being about baseball and the football column apparently didn’t have anything like what they call “football” in it.

Well that just sucks. Damn consoles!!

I actually didn’t care about losing the column. Rich Greenhill, the managing editor, had a tougher time with it than I did, especially the telling me part. I enjoyed writing that column, but really it seemed more like a relic of the old GDR that didn’t fit with the site today. I dunno if the British thing had anything to do with the columns getting axed. I thought that had something to do with it at first, though I only saw one column from the UK office by Steve Hildrew (which I actually really liked). Get the feeling that they’ve abandoned columns entirely. Which isn’t a bad idea in some ways, depending on how you change your content otherwise, although I think that at present it makes the site somewhat anonymous.

As for the lack of PC content, that’s intentional, I’m afraid. GD’s decided to concentrate on consoles these days. PC stuff is still a priority, though they’re skewing more towards big releases and high quality marginal sellers and getting away from the old “cover everything” approach. Site is a long way from dead, and almost certainly has more financial resources than any other gaming site online thanks to British Telecom…but the priorities have changed a lot.

Damn that sucks guys. I was just on gamesdomain’s site last night looking for Bub’s and Brett’s columns. This sucks…

:(

Well, GDR and CGonline were my favorites. I guess it’s hard to pay people for creating loads of content when internet sites are now generating only pennies on every dollar they used to. What was the monthly Strategy column GDR used to have? Damn it was good. [size=2](Damn consoles!)[/size]

Well, GDR and CGonline were my favorites. I guess it’s hard to pay people for creating loads of content when internet sites are now generating only pennies on every dollar they used to. What was the monthly Strategy column GDR used to have? Damn it was good. [size=2](Damn consoles!)[/size][/quote]

I can’t remember the name – Strategy Roundup? – but it was written by Tim Chown and I enjoyed it as well. He was British too!

Well, GDR and CGonline were my favorites. I guess it’s hard to pay people for creating loads of content when internet sites are now generating only pennies on every dollar they used to. What was the monthly Strategy column GDR used to have? Damn it was good. [size=2](Damn consoles!)[/size][/quote]

I can’t remember the name – Strategy Roundup? – but it was written by Tim Chown and I enjoyed it as well. He was British too![/quote]

That’s it! Maybe. Anyone know where Tim went?

I think he did the Target Range release date list, too. I remember first seeing there that a HoMMIV was being made. The comment said, “Yes 3DO is making it and it is going to be revolutionary.” Or or something to that effect. If revolutionary now means shitty A.I. and rushed out the door for fiscal reasons, he was quite the soothsayer.

GDR also isn’t linking multi-platform content. If a game comes out on all platforms, it gets one review and, to my knowledge, that review isn’t linked or mentioned on the other pages. I’m covering the new Indiana Jones game for the Xbox over there and I’m guessing you won’t see a seperate review of the PC version (or even this one linked there). That would help explain some of the PC dearth as well.

No doubt about it GDR is a shadow of its Chown-Todd-Geryk columnist heyday. I was proud to be a small part of the tail end of it, but like Brett, I felt worse for Greenhill then myself when it went away. (I was told specifically that they wanted the columns to read “more British” but I’m also unsurprised they were dropped. Unlike Brett, I didn’t like “The Nocturnal Gamer” much.)

Bub - I read your PS2 The Sims preview at GD. I did not like the PC version for more than a month. From what you have seen, do any of the added modes for the console change gameplay radically enough to make it much different? Like maybe I would not have to have a job and just buy and build shit all day? :)

Jason Forrester’s final review does not seem to think there is much difference at all, but the Get a Life mode at least sounds inriguing.

Wow, where did you find that? The only Sims PS2 coverage I’ve written was in a hallway during E3 after getting my brain smashed by EA’s multi-decibel assault team… I have no idea, in other words.

Asher’s kids are playing it now, maybe they’d be kind enough to answer.

I could have sworn I read a preview with your name on it a week or so ago. The link said review, but then it turned out it was a review written by you. I thought that was odd that they would wait to post a preview after the game’s release, but who knows.

EDIT: Whew, I am not crazy.

Gamesdomain used to be my favorite game review site, and mostly because of the heavy PC focus and the columns - especially Brett’s.

The review quality hasn’t dropped, but the editorials, features and Second Opinions on games kept me coming back every other day. Now it’s maybe every other week.

Troy

Do they even do the second opinions anymore and do any other sites or publications do 2nd ops? I think that is a great feature and gives you a fresh take.

Hell, I miss the Tom’s and Marks’ dual 60 sec. reviews here. We kind of had something similair going on here on the forums. Tom would post his comments on a title, wumpus would read them, and, no matter what the game was, wumpus would refute everything that Tom said. I miss that, too.

What is happening to the internet?!? All that I once held dear is being destroyed. By what you may ask, corporate greed. Down with BT!!!

They don’t, as far as I know, and no one else does it either. A real shame. The GD debates over Imperialism and the Great Battles series really underscored some of my own internal debates about why I liked those titles and how they could have been improved. A great feature that’s sorely missed.

Troy

FYI, I believe Tim “is” still British and is doing well as far as I know. His day job seems to keep him very busy - he’ll have to pop in and speak for himself though :D .

I liked the old (pre-money & pay) GDR a lot, but I am a bit biased…haven’t visited GDR in over a year. Was like Quarter to Three’s message board in many ways except in article form. Free thinking, creativity encouraged, all the things that are for the most part and with rare exception dead and gone on most pay sites these days. Guess that’s why I enjoy this board so much.

Yeah, if i was to open another gaming site, it’d be a head-to-head reviews type thing. Those are always more entertaining than a regular review… I mean, watch Electric Playground–I would never listen to Tommy Tallarico review a game if I didn’t have Victor Lucas calling him dumb for reviewing a game the way he did. It’s magic.