Gearboxs' Borderlands Universe gets a movie

Shrug*, not in this genre, right? Looks like he did body horror movies and stuff like that.

I guess. What’s the genre here? Comedy? Sci-fi? Eil Roth has a very particular style and sensibility in his work. Thus far, I haven’t seen anything to suggest the guy will do a good version of a Borderlands movie.

Thing is, I have no idea what’s a good version of a Borderlands movie, even if they had top of his game Steven Spielberg directing.

How do you make a movie from a bunch of jokes, one awesome villain that isn’t going to be in the first movie I don’t think, and mostly a gazillion guns and shooting them?

I mean, you don’t right? You either take the setting and do something totally else with it, specific to the new medium, or you try to ape the game and end up with the standard video game adaptation dreck. I’m guessing this will be the latter.

Or any movie!

But yeah he at least can be said to have an established resume. And some of what he does would translate into a Borderlands setting no problem (gore effects e.g.).

Thinking about it a bit more, I’d guess my pitch would be do Fury Road but without so many cars and much more guns.

I’d watch that. Especially if they toss in some of the pithy dialogue.

Every character in Borderlands is just so BIG. It’s like a whole movie of Jim Carrey’s Riddlers.

Of course that might turn out bonkers enough to be awesome, so who knows.

Yeah, that’s going to be interesting to balance. I always found it amusing that the protagonist was typically the most subdued character around, relatively speaking.

Hell, Face Off somehow worked, so let’s do this!

So they revealed…a character’s outline?

I guess we’re also seeing some wall textures in there, as well.

-Tom

Oh man, I forgot this existed! Still doing the silhouette thing huh.

Yep, I’d also forgotten this was coming. Release date is Aug 2024. That seems like a VERY long production phase…

Not a lot of new goods here other than a photo or two, I suppose.

Trailer tomorrow. I’d suggest everyone manage expectations since this is an Eli Roth joint.

Overall, I am deeply skeptical, but Jamie Lee Curtis as Tannis is inspired casting. Love that.

Agreed! I’m pretty excited for Cate Blanchett as Lilith, too.

Very skeptical, but can’t blame the casting if this is a trainwreck.