Gears of War - final boss help (Spoilers!)

Really? I found that if did nothing but what I did before - namely use the machine gun from cover - you could kill him relatively easily. I tried doing the sniper rifle thing - IMPOSSIBLE. Just machine gun the guy.

How about that weird queen/hivemind voice that popped up all of twice? Or the quip in the courthouse about it being full of lies?

I just sniped him in the head. I would hide behind the two extreme cover points, making my way back and forth between them at a dead run with rolling moves over the dark spots. The kryll naturally leave him at what I took for random intervals. I never tried anything to encourage him to send them at me besides cowering behind my barricade. When he got close enough to the barricade I waited till he was actually walking around it then I jumped over and ran to the other side. Repeated this till he was dead. It still took like 8 tries to refine my strategy, but it wasn’t that hard on casual. Hardcore I could imagine really sucking.

I swear I replayed the end of act 3 50 times on hardcore before I gave up and switched to casual. Took 2 tries even then. Rest of the game was far too easy on casual, but I just don’t have the patience for hardcore.

I finally finished it on hard core. Man that final boss was tough. I think I played for a solid hour before I beat him. I ended up using sniper rifle and torque bow. It must have taken 15-20 head shots with the sniper rifle before he went down. I had to run across the level twice.

Because the Locust Horde breached the Jacinto Plateau, duh.

It’s much, much easier to beat him with a buddy. Yossarian79 (my brother) and I beat him last night in a very scary and unusual way, after a few tries.

There is a low wall in the middle of the train with lights on both sides. We ran up there and shotgunned the hell out of him. When he made it around to our side, we’d call out “MOVE!” and leap over the wall, then shotgun him from that side. If one of us died we’d revive.

Killing him inches away is pretty damn fun.

Also, I think that the BatShield is just damage based. Do enough damage to it and it’ll fly away, leaving him vulverable. Basically we just poured on the fire and when his shield was down, called it out to really pour it on.

By the way, if you load an Act halfway through and switch from Casual to Hardcore, it doesn’t give you any of the Achievements for playing on Hardcore. Thus if you load Chapter 5 on Hardcore while on the train and beat him, no Achievement.

OK, I might start begging for a co-op partner on this soon.

I tried to beat him, after making it through the entire game on Hardcore, for two hours straight last night. Nada.

I made it to the Troika and shot him. Nothing, the Troika is in shadow so the kryll shred me.

I’ve hit him with Sniper Rifle headshots, many of them damage boosted from Active Reloading, about 15 or so times, followed up with copious rifle fire. Nothing.

Dom is a useless sack of crap who dies quickly no matter what I tell him to do.

I’m at wits end.

don’t forget using grenades. I dunno how people got him with the troika, I also had the problem where the kryll killed me as soon as I got on it

I used torque bow plus sniper rifle: stick him with the bow, immediately switch to sniper rifle and get as many headshots as you can before the kryll return. I found the battle significantly tougher to figure out than the other boss battles, but I’ve always sucked at boss battles.

I’ll be on XBL tonight after work, around 9pm et. I’ll help you, then you can help me.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

I spent a good 30 or so minutes trying to beat him using the troika (on casual). Finally gave up on that and went w/ the sniper rifle. That worked on my 2nd try, heh. Just bounced between the two blocks closest to the entrance, and took a shot or two whenever the kryll flew off.

Oh, you wish.

What did you do when he comes toward you though? I tried running to the other end and either the kryll got me, or he shot me.

Excellent. I’ll look forward to hearing from you then! RAAM must die.

Hmm, oddly, he didn’t come that close. I guess Dom must have kept him occupied enough to not charge me. And this was in casual, so it didn’t take a ton of shots to take him out.

On casual, I just emptied clips into him with the Lancer when he sent the bats after me, or the shotgun if he was really close. I didn’t bother with the sniper, and I didn’t bother trying to draw the bats to me, I found he’d send them every so often unprovoked.

What was killing me more often than not was being greedy. Generally when he’d send his bats after me, I could get almost a whole clip from the Lancer into him before he’d actually open up with his gun at me. My mistakes were generally continuing to fire, trying to get in a few more hits, when I should’ve been dropping back into cover the second he actually returned fire. When I finally played it safe, I didn’t have any problems.

SPOILERS FOR GEARS OF WAR!!!
(also: Rise from your grave!)

This may be my favorite post on Qt3 ever - thanks WS. This is what finally got me past this boss. I kept trying for powered up headshots, and just couldn’t chain enough of them before I would make a mistake running from the Kryll, or get accidentally stuck in cover when I meant to run past.

I spent about 2 hours beating my head against this last battle - on Casual no less. I just couldn’t get the hang of it, and overall it really soured me on the game. As mentioned before, the other boss fights were all more balanced, and didn’t rely on a semi-random punishing mechanic. Jeffd really nailed it in the original post, but I thought it was worth mentioning again. Hopefully GoW2 doesn’t reprise this type of boss fight.

I have a funny story about battling General Raam (General Raam? Seriously? Wasn’t the guy who wrote this the same guy who wrote Deus Ex?). Basically, I shot him a bunch, managed to get to the gun emplacement, Kryll were on me like a hobo on a ham sammich and the screen was very, very red.

Suddenly, the end game cut scene starts! Hooray! Oh wait, I guess General Raam is still damaging me even though we’re in a cutscene. One second in, I’m dead as a doornail, cutscene ends abruptly and a game over screen appears (something I was very acquainted with at that point).

This was definitely one of the worst boss fights I’ve ever had to play in my life. I think what frames it for me is the fact that the rest of the boss battles, like everyone else has said, made sense and scaled well with the difficulty of the fights surrounding and leading up to them. I agree with Jonathan. Here’s hoping there is nothing like this in GoW2.

Yes, please make the end boss in GoW2 awesome like the other GoW bosses and not lame like the last one. That’s assuming that they do port GoW2 eventually to the PC, CliffyB notwithstanding, because otherwise I don’t care.