Gears of War Judgement Season Pass Gives Double XP

Yeah, we’ve already got a GoW Judgement thread, but this news fascinates me because I feel this is starting to skirt “pay to win” territory.

http://epicgames.com/community/2013/02/judgment-vip-season-pass-big-savings-exclusive-content/

This is what comes in the Season Pass:

The VIP Season Pass is the only way you can score a permanent double XP boost as well as a cache of exclusive armor and weapon skins, and it is your only chance to get a jump on the competition with exclusive, early access to all Game Add-on multiplayer maps. With the VIP Season Pass you will get:

• Two upcoming Game Add-on Packs that include six multiplayer maps, two new modes, and new weapon and armor skins
  • Early access to Game Add-on multiplayer maps so you can be the first to play
  • A permanent double XP boost to accelerate your ascent through the ranks
  • Five exclusive weapon skins and four exclusive armor skins

Whether or not $20 (USD) is worth it for the Season Pass offerings is another debate entirely.

Well, it’s certainly cheaper to sell “win” than to make actual content, especially when you have complete control over what constitutes “win” in your game. I’m sure this is just a sign of things to come as the last remnants of fair competition are swept aside to make way for profiteering.

This is a little weird to me, because you’d think that season pass people who buy at launch are the ones who need double XP the least. People picking it up after its been out a couple months and need to catch up are the ones who would really benefit from it.

Yeah, wouldn’t it be awesome if they sold handicap packs instead? You could apply them like a golf score. Somehow. OK I haven’t actually thought this through but I still like the idea.

Wasn’t there an online game that sold, or planned to sell, “anti-boosts” that would screw over your opponents? Am I imagining that?

The season pass comes with content. You are just getting the double XP as a bonus for preordering. This is more ‘solidifying your base’ than ‘pay to win’.

Regardless, this seems less unscrupulous than how those games have been handing double XP rewards, by redeeming points off of go-go juice and extreme fritos.

Eurogamer has a very positive review of the game.

Sounds like People Can Fly have made a great game.

More microstransactions!

Besides the double XP for the Season Pass buyers, Microsoft is offering temporary double XP boosters.

80MSP = Double XP for 10 matches.
320MSP = Double XP for 50 matches.
560 MSP = Double XP for 100 matches.

I like the way you’re thinking. Improve the difficulty (halve the XP earned, decrease health and damage by a few percent, only applies to new characters, use of DLC / pay-to-win gear forbidden), and award a custom title / outfit to the elite who accepted the challenge and survived.

Lots of great reviews coming out today!

http://www.cheatcc.com/xbox360/rev/gearsofwarjudgmentreview.html#.UUcttlfxfhZ

Super happy!

These double XP gimmicks and other stuff. What it does for me is that I just accept that AAA games include the DLC cost as part of the deal, so something like this costs $80-90 roughly. That means I price the game accordingly, and it means I just don’t buy the game where I might have given it a chance at $50.

By the time it goes on sale, I won’t buy the game because I feel I’d be at too much of a competitive disadvantage.

Hoping to hear some impressions from you all about this game because after playing the first three games pretty intensely I am experiencing Gears fatigue and thinking about sitting this one out. Still, I am a huge fan of Bulletstorm so if People Can Fly worked their magic on this game I may change my mind. Eventually.

If you liked the MP, Pogue, Overrun is awesome. It’s all the best elements from Gears MP with a bunch of new stuff added on. I know I sound like a marketing flak at the moment but, seriously, it’s fun!

I don’t doubt it’s a good game Warren, I’ve been happy with the others. I probably will try it out at some point, I’m jus drowning in games right now. Yeah I know, what a problem to have.

Oh, I’m the same. I bought Tomb Raider over the weekend and started playing which is stupid because I have a mountain of games I still haven’t touched/finished. It’s insane…

Same here. I still haven’t tried Gears 3 despite me and my two brothers all owning it and promising to play together when we’re all free one day. But we’re all married and both of them have kids who they can’t play violent games in front of, so the time when all three of us are free hasn’t materialized yet.

The review that makes me want to ignore all that and rush out and get the game is the Joystiq review, which argues that all of the game is inspired by Horde mode. Even the campaign.

Yeah, it uses a new spawning system that makes every encounter unique. So if you reload a section, the fight won’t play out the same every time. Makes for a much fresher experience, IMO. Because even if you get a bad roll and get killed, you can approach it fresh next time.

My preorder (yes, I know they’re dumb, but I quite enjoyed the previous three games and would have picked up this one on day one anyway) from the Microsoft Store included a coupon for a 1600MSP card, so I effectively got the season pass as my preorder bonus.

Now I just have to wait for the game to arrive…

Bit disingenuous to be cherry picking reviews like that. Forget IGN for a second, when did Cheat Code Central become a trusted source?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/gears-of-war-judgment - Metacritic score: 79.

Bit disingenuous to be cherry picking reviews like that. Forget IGN for a second, when did Cheat Code Central become a trusted source?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...f-war-judgment - Metacritic score: 79.