Gears Tactics - XCOM Gears of War

That sounds like an interesting and different take on a traditional squad based tactical game. Kudos for them trying something different and apparently getting it to work.

I didn’t read the article because I will probably buy this regardless, and I’d rather be surprised. I was mostly disappointed this wasn’t a release announcement. I could use a game to be excited about.

Gamepass title I think. No purchase required :)

Gamepass isn’t my style. I play so few games, and the ones I do, I want to be able to presume that I will have access without maintaining a subscription. Most turn-based tactical things get bought eventually. A rare AAA one would be nice to see, though.

Expensive at 59.99 on Steam with wife out of work.

Seems expensive, but I did enjoy this run down and anything with an xcom vibe draws my attention.

When is this coming out?

End of the month (April 28th), not sure how this got so far along and I had no idea. Might be I don’t follow Gears at all, but when you mix it with xcom, well that’s a whole different kettle of fish.

Great read. I like tactics games but tend to bounce off a lot of them. I also don’t particularly want a massive strategic layer like Xcom or Phoenix Point, do this might work great for me. The execution mechanic sounds rather cool and I really appreciate the breakdown of how their design principles influenced their decision-making.

This video got me very interested. Thanks!

XCOM without the stress/mess of the strategic layer sounds pretty nice to me. As do the boss fights.

I just can’t get into tactics games w/o heavy strategy layers. It’s why I’ve never gotten into Battle Brothers. Unfortunately, this looks like another one of those games w/o that strategy layer to keep me engaged.

For me it’s the complete opposite, I would enjoy the XCOM games a hell of a lot more if they didn’t have the strategic layer.

I couldn’t sit through that video. Just write it down man :/

This! What I cannot understand is that videos take so long to go through, and yet people prefer watching to reading! It’s ridiculous.

I can summarize for those of you who don’t want to bother watching video: it looks interesting.

I don’t get the complaints. It isn’t just talking over random gameplay. In much of out, they use video clips to illustrate various points.

As someone that likes tactics more than strategy, really looking forward to this one.

I did watch the video to the end. A lot of it was repetitive, repeating the same mechanics over and over again, without much information over other aspects about the loot or how the meta game will play out.

But my comment was much more general in nature. The trend towards videos makes information searches more difficult. And makes for much slower transmission of ideas. It’s a downgrade, imo, when it comes to information sharing.

Tough room. Your mileage may vary. I guess I like both.

I will say that’s just for pre sale info, when it comes to manuals, I much prefer those to this new generation of watch the video / read the wiki / don’t bother me with writing you a manual or implementing a proper tutorial.

Generally speaking I agree. I hate being sent to a video when I just want simple instructions. In this case, I liked the video well enough.