GeForce Now

They have Transport Fever 2!

arstechnica had a write up on this today. The author posted a list of games supported in the comments section.

edit: here is the link to a json file at nvidia site containing the list of games: GFNowGames

What stores does it work with? Steam? Epic? Origin? Does it work for Game Pass games on PC? I see a Plague Tale is on there, for instance, and I have that through Game Pass.

Cleaned this up

To answer my own question here, it looks like the only PC store they’re connected with is Steam, unfortunately. I added A Plague Tale, and launched it on the remote machine, and the remote machine launched Steam and asked me to log in. I logged into steam on the GeForce Now machine, and it look me to the Plague Tale store page, which I don’t own. I did the same with Subnautica, which I only own on the Epic Game Store, and sure enough, it launched Steam on the remote machine and took me to the Subnautica store page.

So yeah, Steam-only, unfortunately, which really limits my library.

https://pastebin.com/03zVBFEm
list w/steam store URLs

Those without steam links are presumable from other stores, which are
[
“Aion™”,
“Anno 1800™”,
“Apex Legends™”,
“Apollo 11 Lunar Landing Demo”,
“Armored Warfare”,
“Assassin’s Creed® III Remastered”,
“Assassin’s Creed® Origins”,
“Blizzard® Battle.net®”,
“Borderlands 3”,
“Call of Duty®: Black Ops 4”,
“Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare®”,
“Crossfire”,
“Dauntless”,
“Diablo III”,
“Dragon Nest”,
“EVE Online”,
“Fallout 76”,
“Far Cry® New Dawn”,
“For Honor™”,
“Fortnite”,
“Guild Wars 2”,
“Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft”,
“Heroes of Newerth”,
“Heroes of the Storm”,
“League of Legends”,
“Lineage® II”,
“Magic the Gathering: Arena”,
“Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries”,
“Metro Exodus”,
“Minecraft: Java Version”,
“Overwatch”,
“Path of Exile”,
“RAGE 2”,
“Shenmue III”,
“StarCraft II®”,
“StarCraft® Remastered”,
“The Crew® 2”,
“The Crew™”,
“Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® Siege”,
“Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® Siege - Technical Test Server”,
“Tom Clancy’s The Division™”,
“Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint”,
“Tom Clancy’s The Division® 2”,
“War Thunder”,
“Watch_Dogs® 2”,
“Watch_Dogs™”,
“Wolfenstein®: Youngblood”,
“World of Tanks”,
“World of Warcraft Classic”,
“World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth”,
“World War Z”
]

Also sending 10 emails probably wasn’t needed, but w/e

E: Launched Path of Exile. It appears to be downloading & patching (at gigabyte speeds at least). This must be murder on their backend without deduplication. There is no way this will generate positive profit for them. Or maybe I’m the first person to launch POE
E2: And it may have frozen on the last 0.01GB? No idea what’s happening.
E3: Ah, hidden message box behind the patcher saying it timed out. Relaunch has it restart the patcher, so guessing POE ain’t happening, on to the next test
E4: So other stuff works well, so it’s just POE that’s fubared on patching. GW2 runs well, various stuff on Steam runs well. You still need to “install” in Steam though it looks like it’s just linking to a pre-existing install somewhere. Also Steam workshop mods download and run as well though it’s a bit fiddly

The Ars Technica article says it supposed to work with all the major ones.

Very neat, filtering out the non-steam games. Thanks!

Since I have Assassin’s Creed Origins on Uplay I gave it a try.

Once I was in, I couldn’t resist turning up the graphics on the GeForce Now machine up to ultra settings, which restarted the game, which kicked me out.

Oops.

Going back in now, I wonder if my settings will be ultra or not.

Edit: Sadly, the settings are back on the lowest settings after I launched AC:O again. So I guess I can’t change those, which is a shame. One bonus: I had my saved game from Origin’s cloud saves I guess, so I didn’t have to start the game over.

I just want to understand the business proposition here. I am allowed to err play my own games streaming across the internet and if I want them to look as good as they already do I pay Nvidea $5 per month to… play my own games across the internet but now they look as good as when I play them on my own machine? Or I could play my own games shrunk down to tiny scale on my phone or tablet ?

I mean, couldn’t I just take that $5 per month and buy some new games on discount instead?

I am missing something huge here right? Please educate me.

Ok reading the thread this is for people who dont have a good PC but do have a great internet connection?

Not just that, but also for gamers on the go; you can (supposedly) play your PC games on your phone, for instance.

Cheers, yeah thats fair. Seems like it might be a UI / readability issue for a lot of my library though.

There’s not too many good use cases for me either.

Sometimes when I’m on vacation, attending a wedding or something, I’m at the motel for an evening, with no friends. Maybe I can log onto the hotel computers and log in there? Hmmm, but then it will have to install the GeForce Now software, the motel computers might not allow that.

Plus who carries around a controller to connect to their phone? So that’s not a good use case either.

Yeah. I mean I wish folks who use this well and Nvidia. It sounds like it might make some folks gaming lives a lot better. I am just not one of them. Which is cool. Live and let live. I was just making sure I understood what was being offered.

There is something in my inner gamer that is deeply suspicious of someone charging me a subscription to play my own games. I know thats unfair, but still, I had this “wait… what are they trying to pull?” reaction when I first read the article. I think they could message this better somehow.

If it works really well, and you’re not a bleeding-edge gamer I could see this putting off hardware upgrades & thus saving some reasonable $. Especially if your PC still does everything else you want it too. A new RTX card here costs a lot; a 2080 TI about US$1,500. Even a non-TI costs about US$900. That’s a lot of $5. And there’s always the free option for the time-poor.

You’re not paying them to play the games you own, you’re paying them to use hardware you (presumably) don’t own.

That’s my impression anyway, that this is about playing games on fancy Nvidia cards with ray-tracing and all that cool stuff my 18 month old laptop couldn’t handle (or on a Mac which couldn’t play these games at all).

The idea of playing on an mobile device seems like an afterthought, not the focus. Stadia seems a little more interested in pushing that angle.

Yea the playing on your smartphone has always seemed gimmicky. This I’d guess is possible alternative for a gaming machine. Even at $10 a month your talking about 3-4 years of fees just to equal the price of a higher end 2070/2080 card let alone the rest of the components in a PC.

I kind of like that idea. That way my next PC could be a nice zippy web browsing machine with plenty of CPU power and RAM, but with an on-board video card from Intel. I can probably get that for under $500.

But for that to work, GeForce Now would have to support pretty much all the games, not just some games. I’d hate to get a machine like that, and then I can’t play a certain PC game because it’s not supported on the service.

Yeah for me I see it as a way that my kids could play games on their chromebook instead of fighting over our PC. It seems like a potential easy way to get my steam games on my big screen tv without having to move a computer or run a HDMI 50 feet. I’m out of town a couple nights a week and this would be a way I could play games on my mediocre work laptop.

A good distinction. Cheers.