Gemcraft: grandiose TD at its finest

IIRC you get better talisman by playing at harder levels. I paid more attention at trying play each map with all traits at close to 7 as I could. What I would do is start a map on glaring at everything maxed at 7, and then adjust traits down from there. Once I found the sweet spot for traits I left them alone until I was beating maps too easily and then I would readjust upwards.

2 for each trait sounds a bit low, especially for looming. So my advice would be to increase those first, especially some of the easier traits. You should start getting some better talisman that way.

I am still working on getting my level to 150. Been working on maps to gain the various gem types and spell powers. Finally obtaining success and adding things to my arsenal.

I will start to add the difficulty levels now that I have more gem types available. I believe I can start making a reasonable mana farm which should open up the game.

Do you need to have at least one skill point to have a gem after you earn it? Example do I have to put a skill point into poolbound for it to appear on every map? I read somewhere that was true but when I look at the maps it shows it available on the map screen (I have not gone into every map to confirm).

I don’t believe so, once you get the gem, it will show on all subsequent maps.

What is best to put in trap for mana beam, barrage, or bolt? Different people seem to do different things. Barrage increases specially 30% while bolt ignires armor and beam causes it to fire more often?

I would think barrage for the increase to specials but does armor affect a hit occurring to drain mana? Or is beam better to increase the amount of hits. People state one or the other but with no true explanation as to why they chose the one they use. I have seen people state different things when the question is asked; so who is right?

I don’t know if there is a right answer per se. I always used bolt and my reasoning is I want to whittle their health down to next to nothing so there is no question my kill gem will kill them. This is because I occasionally make mistakes when enraging and having the bolt in the mana gem as well as the kill gem gives me a bit of insurance.

FYI - a mistake I make on enraging is that I use the mouse wheel to increase my gem count so I can reduce the number of clicks when gem-bombing and then I still get a bit heavy on the clicks, and when I’ve already got 50 gems loaded up, a few extra clicks can add significant number of health that I didn’t mean to.

I use one gem to enrage so I know how much. I think which ever gem is in the top left position is the one that gets used so I suppose could play a 2G, 3G if one wanted to. At least I thnk it is the left top space, I wish the spaces were labeled for referencing.

I also used the bolt which you had recommended which I think is probably better at lower WL. But I am wondering as I grow if one of the others will work better. Unfortunately I do not see any info to watch the mana leaching actually occur to tell if one weapon is working better or not.

Well yes, I use one gem as well, but I gem bomb 100-200 times in later levels (when you see start seeing E next to numbers because the numbers get so big - my runs exceed E45) and clicking 100 times to gem bomb that one gem isn’t really doable.

So you can press B and then hold down SHIFT and then you can use your mousewheel to increase the number of times you’re going to copy that single gem & bomb - so instead of clicking 150 times, I’m clicking 3 times (if I’m bombing 150 times).

How many times are you clicking to gem-bomb a wave?

I am about WL 210. I have been doing six clicks. Just grinding my WL in order to have more initial mana. It seems level 300 is where mana farms etc will become more reliable.

Thx for the tip didn’t realize I could use the mouse wheel to raise the number.

it is currently on sale for less than 3$ in the humble winter sale…

The kill metter in the top right - what is that actually showing?

I am currently bombing for fury with 600-700 1 gem bombs. It causes a lot of monsters. Is it worth it to go that high as the number of monster does not increase and I cannot tell if it raising the XP significantly (plus the lag is terrible even when i shut off all the graphics).

Also, I have been blocking all the beacons but would i gain more XP if i jsut try to destrop them all teh time? I have experimented a bit but it seems to many beacons and you are a goner.

43 posts were split to a new topic: GemCraft: Frostborn Wrath, defend that path, do that math, take a gem bath

I have just got this and discovered the joys of early game poison traps.

It seems a little one dimensional so far, maybe a sign I’m not pushing the difficulty up enough.

It’s as deep as you want to make it. The correct way to make a gem (not that I know what the correct way is myself, but you can get gem making tools for the game) and what gems to combine, where, can get pretty complicated. As well as optimizing your talisman. Do jack up the difficulty as well. It makes it more fun and gives you a chance to get better stuff.

I have started building mana farms. The problem is it is slowing me down from completing the story… :)

This is where the game forks and you start doing endless runs because it’s so damn fun!

This morning:

• I’ll just do one field quickly on fast forward before I go to work. I’m not going to do anything hard so glaring difficulty is fine.
  • I might as well build a mana farm, I dont have to enrage the waves
  • It won’t be hard to set up a couple of towers to clear beacons so I can push these waves up to 999
  • Ooops I seem to have doubled my wizard level.

You would have quadrupled your wizard level if you had ;-)

Oh I did :) (see the comment about having to clear beacons).

I just wasn’t planning to :) But without enraging my mana trap was killing everything which was boring.

I cannot beat Z4 Endurance to get the wizard stash. Getting frustrated, read guides watched YouTube no luck. The swarmlings just kill me each time I try.