Gems of War. The wait for PQ fans is over (sort of)

Thanks for the re-invitation. I log in every morning and donate when I have excess funds, but don’t play on a daily basis. So much has changed since I last played; I’ll have to come up to speed.

The guild I’m in now has minimums that are pretty rigidly enforced, it’s sort of like a work camp for match-three players! 400k gold, 1200 seals, 200 trophies, and with Guild Wars, 30 GW battles when that goes live, per week. And those are not the highest minimums around, as some guilds require the full 1500 possible seals and a lot more trophies.

My guild, Match Masters, is currently running a steady third in the Demigod III league, but that’s mostly because all of the hard chargers who wanted to move up left for the guilds above us pretty much. Our leader is a wonderful lady in England who rules, like Elizabeth I, with an iron fist in a velvet glove. Or something like that.

But I will say, a guild like this is amazing on Monday morning when you get your rewards from nearly instantly having all the guild tasks and some legendary tasks done before you’ve even woken up, and you see 999+ in your chests tab and suddenly you’re making all your troops mythic and traiting everyone to high heaven. My personal PVP number/rating (the blue skull thing) went from like 5k to over 8k almost instantly.

I’m probably going to be playing a lot less for a while (or possibly not at all) so that I have a little more time to play other games in my backlog. If you need room in the guild, feel free to kick me out, and I can join up again later if I start playing again.

– SaberSnail

I fell back into this recently, but found myself wanting a little more. Have former players of this game found anything similar that satisfies the itch? My one requirement is that it not be one with timers/energy or whatever else is used to put playing time behind a pay wall.

I am actually still playing this every week after all this time. I would also be curious of other options, but I would probably keep playing this too.

They keep changing and adding enough new things to do that it stays fresh enough to keep logging in each week. Between the Guild Wars, Invasion Battles with Towers, and Boss progression battles as part of the weekly guild activities, it changes up enough that it keeps me entertained. I still enjoy tweaking new synergies and teams and have built up a decent array of good troops while never having to spend real money on them. Sure, it took time, but the slow rise to power has been enjoyable. I just put a few hours in a week. I like that the weekly Invasion and Boss events force you to use a certain type of troop, so it forces you to mix up teams that you wouldn’t normally try.

They also keep adding new activities, new nations and troops, and now a new Underworld map area and new mechanics and systems all the time. They add new special abilities at times and new crafting opportunities (you can use these ingot type things you collect to level up your weapons and add additional stats or abilities to them). You can also do the same with your hero now based on advancing their level and add quite a few new abilities to them that you can pick and choose. It really is quite impressive to me how they keep updating the game.

We have maybe 4-5 active people still in the guild that participate in the weekly guild events and the rewards for the guild are still decent even with lower participation.

I still play as well; one of the nice side effects of having so much content now is that I don’t feel ‘obligated’ to do every objective, every day, every week. I still get a lot done because most weeks this is my empty phone time filler, and I also haven’t found anything else that hits the exact balance of mindless entertainment and the progress/collection itch. The number of gems you can get just by collecting gold every hour has also crept up pretty substantially with the number of new kingdoms and troops (for kingdom upgrades), which has released a lot of the resource pressure.

With that surfeit of gems combined with the lack of an energy mechanic, Gems seems dramatically easier than the rest of the freemium games to ‘keep up’. I’d be very curious to see how it is working for them financially compared to the average (more thirsty) business model.

I spent a year in a very competitive (top three, then, but now just top ten I think) guild, but burned out on the daily reqs, and now play in a very low-end feeder guild where I’m one of the few 1000+ level players. I do play daily, because the basic mechanic is relaxing, and my wife also plays, but the game has become so bloated with different things that it is impossible to do all of the stuff you can do that has daily limits (at least, for me it is). Stuff like 3x dungeons, your 3x delves (x3 different Underworld locations), the daily tasks, your guild stuff (Wars, Invasions, Portals), etc. plus all the pet rescues and other folderol. But I have spent a grand total of like ten bucks on the game over the course of its entire life.

Oh man, I wish I hadn’t had this thread set to “tracking”. Now I am thinking I need to start playing this again.

I’m actually surprised how different things look after taking more than a year off. I keep second guessing myself about whether a new graphic or feature is something I forgot or is actually something new.

I’d suggest trying Sdorica. Let me know if you want a guild invite or a code for goodies. Beautiful. Interesting gameplay. No timers, though certain things can only be done x times a day. It is a game that doesn’t demand huge amounts of your time.

I’m redownloaded this, it’s gonna take a bit to remember what I’m doing but I’d like to rejoin the guild if there are any openings.

We do have plenty of space, assuming that I can figure out how to invite someone. What’s your in-game user ID?

My Invite code is PIZZADDICT

Sent, should hopefully be all set.

Thanks, looks like it worked.

Thanks for the recommendation. I played Sdorica a bit when it first came out but cannot remember why I stopped. I’ll let you know.

What is the guild monster raid thing for and what do pets do. Those are both new things since I played last.

Raid Boss is a weekly event fight with a restricted team (this week, Kingdom = Darkstone) where, after the ‘warm-up’ stages 1-4, it’s about killing an increasingly difficult boss. Number of fights are limited to 4 tokens/day plus what you buy on the Shop tab or win by killing the special token monsters that show up, and damage to the boss contributes points to the overall guild total, which gets everyone the rewards you can see on the Rewards tab. There’s also an event-specific troop (again from the Shop tab) that does bonus damage to the boss.

Might be worth trying out if you have the time to mess around, but unless you really love Darkstone troops, it should probably be a lower priority this time around.

Pets give small bonuses, either to the effectiveness of certain teams (of a troop type, from a kingdom, etc) or to rewards from fights. They are acquired through Pet Rescue events: there is generally one day-long event per week, and then other hour-long events that can pop up for the entire guild if someone kills a Pet Gnome (rare) in a fight. There’s some secondary reward stuff around levelling the pets up. Honestly, the most important thing about them is that eventually you need a pet from a given kingdom to continue levelling it up (though it’s pretty deep in that progression).

In terms of new stuff, the Underworld tends to have relatively good rewards for the time spent, especially once you’ve levelled up hoards and such a bit. Really, though, there is just SO MUCH stuff to do on a daily basis that I’d say to pick an objective that seems fun and have at it without worrying too much, whether that’s the daily objectives, weekly event, or anything else.

I tried this out yesterday and enjoyed it. If the guild has got space I’d be interested. Invite code it SARELN_(some other 4 character sequence I need to look up).

Sure thing! Just post once you have your full game tag for invite and one of us will get you in.