GenCon tidbit #1

Man, I saw lots of fat people there! Lots of black shirts too.

Also, Wizkids was purchased by Topps for about $29M. Dang.

Well, you know how that saying goes: “In the land of fat people, the ice cream man is king.” I smell opportunity people!

What is Wizkids? Wizards of the Coast?

etc

No, Wizkids is that company that makes Mage Knights, Hero Clix, etc. They are the pre-painted plastic minis with the dials on the stands. They did about $33M in sales last year. The company was founded by the same guy who founded FASA.

So now BattleTech is owned by…Topps? The baseball card people? Weird.

They’ve also been putting out pretty decent ShadowRun and Battletech supplements. Under TOPPS, who knows if that will continue, or if they’ll go the way that Hasbro’s aquisitions went.

Oh PLEASE don’t let them can Shadowrun. Wizkids bought it to keep it alive. If Topps kills it off I’ll go find a really big gun, and someone will pay in blood.

(quickly changes out of his 2XL black t-shirt) What? Huh? Wha? Someone call for a kettle to label with a color?

(quickly changes out of his 2XL black t-shirt) What? Huh? Wha? Someone call for a kettle to label with a color?[/quote]

The commentary is especially hurtful, coming from Mark Asher, one of the slender, beautiful grecian gods of gaming journalism. With the body of a nubile young wrestler and a face that glows like the sun at dusk (after a few drinks, at least), Mark’s physique is beyond reproach. The rest of us, sadly, must bow our heads and scuttle back into our caves.

(quickly changes out of his 2XL black t-shirt) What? Huh? Wha? Someone call for a kettle to label with a color?[/quote]

The commentary is especially hurtful, coming from Mark Asher, one of the slender, beautiful grecian gods of gaming journalism. With the body of a nubile young wrestler and a face that glows like the sun at dusk (after a few drinks, at least), Mark’s physique is beyond reproach. The rest of us, sadly, must bow our heads and scuttle back into our caves.[/quote]

Narrator, I name you.

IIRC, quatoria didn’t even know about this board until after the Narrator started his thing.

The commentary is especially hurtful, coming from Mark Asher, one of the slender, beautiful grecian gods of gaming journalism. With the body of a nubile young wrestler and a face that glows like the sun at dusk (after a few drinks, at least), Mark’s physique is beyond reproach. The rest of us, sadly, must bow our heads and scuttle back into our caves.[/quote]

Thank you. I’m glad that stand-in I pay to represent me at events is paying off.

Oh, I KNEW about it.

WizKids was founded (or was at least part-owned) by Jordan Weisman (FASA - Battletech, Shadowrun, Crimson Skies). Everything that guy does seems to work out really well.

Nice seeing you at the show Mark.

Jordan Weisman is one of those guys that no matter how well you do, you look like a complete chump next to him.

He’s also a nice guy. Go figure.

YEah?!?! but then FASA cancelled Earthdawn! Where were you when that happened? damn you! I;m probably one of the few that loved Earthdawn over Shadowruin (and ED is basically Shadowrun in the past).

etc

Jordy is a great guy and I’d work with him any time, but he’s had his failures. Remember the BattleTech centers?

It might have something to do with your name… ;)

Jordy is a great guy and I’d work with him any time, but he’s had his failures. Remember the BattleTech centers?[/quote]

What, you mean the Virtual Geographic Leagues? I loved those places! Playing that battletech arena match with all those rockers and toggles and switches and over-ride codes and spotters and remote guided missiles and artillery strikes and the after-action printout owned!

Theres rumor of a Shadowrun game being developed over at MS but Weisman isn’t exactly on great terms with MS (or so its rumored) so it’ll probably be the remaining FASA fellows developing any of the Weisman IP’s that got sold to MS. MW5 has been shitcanned as the only FASA member who still wanted to produce them was TJ Wagner who defected to Day One studios (Mechassault), the rest of the team was tired of the whole series.

MS optioned Shadowrun at the same time they bought the interactive media rights to battletech so its pretty much a given thats where theiy’re headed ATM.

BTW, the Virtual World centers and Tesla Pods were hardly a failure. Theyve been around for quite some time and new generation using a modified MW4 engine is being installed in several Dave & Busters as we speak. Also, dont forget about the “Red Mars” thing as well. Lotsa fun that.

Oh Yeah: BRING BACK MULTIPLAYER BATTLTECH: 3025… :evil: EA you evil bastards!!!