General sees war on terrorism as battle with Satan

Lt. Gen. William G. Boykin, whose promotion and appointment was confirmed by the Senate in June, has said publicly that he sees the war on terrorism as a clash between Judeo-Christian values and Satan, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

Appearing in dress uniform before a religious group in Oregon in June, Boykin said Islamic extremists hate the United States ``because we’re a Christian nation, because our foundation and our roots are Judeo-Christians. … And the enemy is a guy named Satan.‘’

Discussing a U.S. Army battle against a Muslim warlord in Somalia in 1993, Boykin told one audience, ``I knew my god was bigger than his. I knew that my god was a real god and his was an idol.‘’

Plus, my cojones are humungous!! This is the kind of christian zealots running our country right now. Oh, happy joy.

Oh yeah, there are tons of differences between our mindset and the Islamic extremists…

Stuff like this is a bit frightening.

And they’re aaalllllllllll Episcopalian. Every single general and a terrifying percentage of Presidents have been.

Conspiracy, I tell you!

Episco-what?

A Protestant sect, such as Lutherans or Calvinists. IIRC, Episcopalians are the American segment of the Anglican church. They comprise less than 2% of the practicing American Christian population (or is it 2% total?), yet almost 25% of Presidents and damn near every general in the past century has been one of them.

In fact, Colin Powell specifically states even in his own autobiography that it’s the most “convenient” faith for a general.

Convenient? How so?

He doesn’t specify. I assume that means it’s how you make and maintain connections. Go to the same church, believe the same things… makes it a lot easier to have a unified ruling hierarchy that way.

Honestly, I think one of the reasons that Kennedy and Clinton were hated so much by Republicans was because they were Catholic and Baptist, respectively. I really, REALLY do think that’s a reason why. I used to think it was silly until I realized how fanatic Americans are about faith.

http://www.adherents.com/adh_presidents.html

Fun facts.

That quote is absolutely frightening. I mean, that seriously chills me to the bone. I’m going to have nightmares now, man. Thanks MS, you bastard.

I’m sorry, but this “My God vs. Your God” schtick doesn’t sound like Episcopalians at all. You’re talking about the touchy feely liberal side of Protestantism.

The reason why they have influence beyond their numbers is that they’re relatively wealthy and well educated, in the same range as Jews and Unitarian Universalists. If you’ve ever looked at demographics on churches, wealth and power track along with how liberal the theology is.

Incidentally, the bottom economic/power rung for major denominations is the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

There are some exceptions to the rule. Latter Day Saints (Mormons) are extremely conservative, but they’re above average on the socioeconomic scale.

You are soooooooo welcome! :lol:

You mean how fanatic some Americans are about faith. I, for one, don’t have a religious or spiritual bone in my body. I know a lot of people who feel the same way.

Uh, yeah it does. It sounds like hardcore High Anglican to me, and very similar to Catholicism. Which, of course, is the reason why Anglicans often hate Catholics, and vice versa. It’s a funny old world! BTW, how is the “My God is better than your God” hatred espoused by that general “touchy feely.” Sounds like the exact opposite to me.

The irony is, it’s all the same God. It’s the Prophets that are different.

…which is what Muslims have been trying to convince Christians and Jews for the past 1,500 years. Oh the irony.

Church is what you make it. I’m a Catholic but I don’t feel any animosity against all the other denominations. If we got a priest that started preaching like that, I would take my donations and find a new church.

A new poster to P&R!

Are you the Elite Liberal that Koontz seeks? Can you be The One?

Check his reaction times! Can he make the first jump?

Uh, yeah it does. It sounds like hardcore High Anglican to me, and very similar to Catholicism. Which, of course, is the reason why Anglicans often hate Catholics, and vice versa. It’s a funny old world! BTW, how is the “My God is better than your God” hatred espoused by that general “touchy feely.” Sounds like the exact opposite to me.[/quote]

It is the exact opposite. I worded that poorly; I was referring to Episcopalians being touchy feely.

I dunno… I’ve been to a half dozen Episcopalian churches, and the prevailing winds were nothing like what you’re saying. Some members occasionally went to Catholic churches. They were also the types to bring in Muslims for coffee klatches to do the “you’re okay I’m okay” thing.

For that matter, I was married in a Catholic church with both Episcopalian and Catholic priests as part of the ceremony.

You want to find some hardcore anti-Catholics, go darken the door of a fundamentalist Baptist church sometime.

Now mind you, Episcopalians are not quite as accepting of other faiths as Unitarian Universalists…

I keep waiting for there to be a Presidential address on TV with Ashton Kutcher coming out in the middle and telling the United States that they’ve just been punked. At least all the things I keep hearing about our government and generals would make sense. I feel like out in the cosmos are a bunch of college dropouts getting high on pot and saying “wouldn’t it be fucked up if X happened in government?” Then they giggle for half an hour. Meanwhile, their suggestions come true here in the US.