Generation Zero: Avalanche Studios, Fighting Robots in 1980s Sweden

I think the Avalanche team member was really offended by the reports that id was doing the FPS stuff. He clarified that only Avalanche is working on the gameplay of Rage 2.

I’m not too worried. I think Rage 2 looks fantastic.

Really? The combat looks like the work of id.

Impressive!

It took me a couple minutes to find it after seeing your post, but this is the tweet that he’s referring to.

https://twitter.com/CHSundberg/status/1090642085429022720?s=09

https://dailytech.page/2019/01/31/co-founder-of-avalanche-studios-we-have-fully-developed-rage-2/

Thanks kerzain. For doing the research I was too lazy to do. :)

No I was already doing it, you just got a post in before I was able to find it.

They were bought by Nodisk Film recently, and shortly afterwards their founder Christofer Sundberg announced he was leaving the company, so changes are definitely underway.

I realize this game is buggy, janky, and perhaps resource limited but I just listened to one of Waypoint’s recent podcasts and they had me really interested in the game.

This kind of seemed like my jam from the description but it also seems like a bit of TheHunter Classic mixed with a touch of Sir, You Are Being Hunted. I just want to take in what seems to be an atmospheric 1980’s Sweden.

I may check this out soon, or perhaps wait for a decent sale. If the dev team keeps working on it and patching it (assuming they can afford to do so) might end up in a reasonable state.

Over the upcoming months they will be working on 3 things!

If they can improve those three things, I’ll get the game.

Finally had a chance to put some time into this and I was correct, this is my jam.

If you can accept the limitations of the small budget here this is a great mix of an HD Sir, You Are Being Hunted; combined with a nice helping of DayZ-style hiking through gorgeous landscapes not knowing when you will next stumble into a threat; and perhaps just a pinch of of PVE Escape from Tarkov flavor.

I particularly enjoy the atmosphere and ambiance. A world devoid of humans with everything left in place as if they just vanished. Cars left in the middle of the road with a door open and headlights on, terrified family members leaving panicked messages on answering machines, children’s empty swings blowing in a stiff wind.

I only meant to briefly check it out last night and ended up playing this all evening.

Good to hear, keep us posted.

So AA I hear the exploratory post-apoc part is good. What about progression and the combat? Update when you can! I wanted to really play this and I fear (for the company–not me) it will be very cheap very soon…

The progression is fine, but not amazing. There is a basic skill tree where you can pick between options like faster reloads or better stamina regeneration, etc. I would consider the found loot your actual progression system. Finding a decent quality rifle and scope attachment is a huge game-changer over just slumming it with a dilapidated rusty pistol.

I enjoy the combat, though it certainly doesn’t have AAA polish. I actually got to a point in the game where I had decent gear/weapons, a nice supply of ammo, and really felt like I was in control and coming out of most combat situations intact. I was laying traps, ambushing mechs, out-gunning them, and picking them off in long-distance encounters. Then I got cocky and explored a little farther and was quickly overwhelmed and panicked. I attacked a patrol near a bridge and didn’t initially realize the mech detachment included a larger more aggressive version I had not faced before. They flanked me, charged me, and forced me into a hasty retreat. I barely survived that encounter and chewed through most of ammo reserves and medical supplies just trying to stay alive. At one point I was cowering in the back of a truck while the mechs and drones stomped around scanning everything and hunting me aggressively. That was quite a surprise and I am no longer a cocky gunslinger but back to being a cowardly hit-and-run guerrilla using recon extensively.

I really enjoy this game, jank and all, but I don’t want to oversell or overhype it to anyone. Waiting for a sale seems perfectly reasonable. If you found any interest, curiosity, or joy in something like Sir, You Are Being Hunted you will probably get something useful out of Generation Zero which is like Sir but with a greater focus on combat.

Nice - added a photo mode (seriously that was something I really wanted from this!)

e: whoah an 8GB patch - that’s a lot of changes.

June updated add’s bikes!

I suddenly had the urge to see if this game is on steam, to add to my wishlist, but of course, steam is too slow right now and not responding. I’ll check again later if I remember.

It’s on Steam, and currently at 30% off.

But is it actually worth playing now?

Looks kinda fun, but also looked like an Early Access title?

Stuff still being added, its like its in Early Access without the tag. ;)

Never hurts to wait for a 50% or 75% sale.