Gentlemen, start your photocopiers! Royale is the new MOBA

It’s been “only” 4 years since my “peak MOBA” complaint thread here: Have we reached Peak F2P MOBA yet?

It looks like all the MOBA-wannabes have failed so time for a new photocopier dead pool thread.

Is that what they call an FFA shooter in France?

At this point we also need a “what will be the next photocopier trend? place your bets!” thread.

maybe we can convince venture capitalists to throw money at cloning text parser adventure games, space sims and 4x space strategy games.

I see what you did there

I’m mostly sad my dad-est of jokes in the Scott Tells Us About Pillars Of Eternity 2 thread didn’t get any good groans and/or eyerolls.

Seems like you already provided your own cheese.

I am criminally underappreciated.

Infinitely modest too.

My high school German teacher liked to call such facts “selbstverstaendig,” or “so easy to understand that they understand themselves.”

BawsKee has fired up the Xerox: Radical Heights - Boss Key's post Lawbreakers joint

So quick question, with the rise of Battle Royale over the last 10 months, has the MOBA scene died down?

Well, Epic’s Paragon died. Gigantic died as well. Breakaway died. I don’t know if Smite, Heroes of the Storm, League of Legends and DOTA2 are still profitable.

What do they call Overwatch, a Hero-shooter? Im a little surprised that there wasn’t a clone wars in that space, although maybe people just didn’t see it as significantly different from other shooters, not enough to make it easy to compete with the big budget titles out there.

I mean, it’s TF2, right? There’s plenty of competition in that space iirc.

Paladins, Lawbreakers, Paragon, and Battleborn all came out in a fairly close time frame trying to ride on Overwatch riding on TF2’s coattails. For all I know they could’ve been good games but they didn’t have the marketing and polish of Blizzard, so they were more or less DOA.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about Battleborn being stillborn–launching at the same time as Overwatch.

The mostly complete list of dead MOBAs:

Heroes of Newerth
Bloodline Champions
Breakaway
Guardians of Middle-Earth
Rise Of Immortals
Dead Island: Epidemic
Infinite Crisis
Dawngate
TOME: Immortal Arena
Transformers Universe
Deadbreed
Magicka: Wizard Wars
Sins of a Dark Age
Arena Of Fate
Strife
Master X Master
Paragon

Forgot about Sins. Thanks Armando. That’s a big deadpool.

Bloodline Champions got relaunched into the enjoyable Battlerites.

Didn’t Sins of a Dark Age bite it?