Gentlemen, start your photocopiers! Royale is the new MOBA

Retro turn-based single player CRPGs.

You heard it here first, folks!

Misdirection! Everyone knows the next big trend is super-ambitious space games like DERPSPACE!

I feel sorry for the devs, but it’s one of most hilarious game launches ever. I hope future devs learn the lesson here.

Islands of Nyne last week and Fear the Wolves this week. The BR train doesn’t seem to stop any time soon.

I don’t know what will be next. But I know it will have crafting, guns and will sell skins.

Delayed!

Makes sense since it seemed to run pretty rough in the couple of streams/videos I watched.

After the Crew failure, If i where making a BR, I would be scared.

Fractured Lands, the “Mad Max” BR, is out, and seems to have a slow start (to put it mildly).

It ran like shit when I played the closed alpha, so I’m not touching it until I know it runs better. Though with these numbers, I doubt I’ll get it anyway.

I’ll never understand these multiplayer-dependent me too titles, whether it be BRs, MOBAs, or WoW clones back in the day. If your entire premise is dependent on having a large and consistent playing population, perhaps it’s not the best idea to roll out shitty knockoffs when there are already established massively successful titles sucking all the oxygen out of the room.

I’m no business or marketing expert, but even for someone like me it’s blindingly obvious it’s not going to work. If you come out with a BR game now, it has to be significantly superior to the established options. It was the same issue with all the inferior World of Warcraft clones that came out with a tenth of the content and none of the polish of the game they were trying to ape. No one is going to leave their friends and established communities for a shittier product.

This.

Edit: and when the biggest title in the room is free to play too…

I think there’s a couple things that lead to it.

One is that it isn’t always a sober business decision. Sometimes, it’s non-business types thinking “ok, that’s pretty neat, but I could do feature X Y Z better”, or they hear a small minority of the Fortnite audience asking for X, and think, “If we build a game that does X, we’ll get all those people”, which is just untrue due to the multiplayer-base value multipliers.

Another is people who make the business decisions, but with a bad understanding of the market. They think “Fortnite makes millions of dollars a day. If we just make a thousands dollars a day, that’ll pay for our cost! That’s like 10% of what Fortnite makes! Our game will be at least 10% as good as Fortnite!” Which, of course, doesn’t matter, because market share doesn’t scale linearly (or even necessarily at all) with quality.

Or, they look a the total market size and think “okay, there’s a .1% chance of us beating Fortnite. But that’s .1% chance to make A BILLION DOLLARS. So the expected value is fine!” But…you don’t have several million iterations to amortize it over, and your .1% estimate is probably inflated anyways.

Just going by the look and driving/shooting , I’d play this if it had decent single player and was not a MOBA.

I think this is a big one. If your BR game isn’t free, and don’t have any hype and aren’t totally amazing, then how the hell am I supposed to convince my PUBG (or Fortnite) friends to try it out?

At least Realm Royale is free, and that would’ve been DOA (like the others) if it wasn’t.

I know Battlerite has a BR mode coming if hasn’t already and I think that world be an interesting fit with all the characters they have. Before the BR craze they had a battlegrounds mode which had some neat mechanics but they removed it to focus on the core game, so I’m hoping some of that will return in some form. It’s F2P and solid as a rock so I think Stunlock have got a good base to work from.

Some of these probably started development when PUBG was popular but seemed vulnerable. Then Fortnite rolled in and no one wanted to choke on the sunk costs.

Islands of Nyne even started development before PUBG started development, so they were just incredible late to the market.

Edit: I pressed reply to TimJames (from his post), but there’s no link reply. Discourse bug or feature?

If it’s the last post in the thread, you won’t see it as a reply directly to him. That user still gets notified of the reply though.

I just played an hour of so of the closed beta (of Fear The Wolves), and oh boy, it sure needed to be delayed.

The performance is really bad, even with the graphics on low (on my GTX 980), I regularly dipped below 60 fps. And in addition it’s laggy as hell (even though my ping was ~25 ms), with semi-occasional micro stutters, which makes firefights a chore.

The hook here is supposed to be the wolves (and environmental hazards), but I just found it more annoying than anything else as I spent most of my ammo on those damn wolves. And speaking of ammo, the loot is incredible sparse. I guess it’s supposed to be more survival than shooter oriented, but in a mp environment it’s just frustrating.