Gentlemen, start your photocopiers! Royale is the new MOBA

Demigod from Stardock (Gas Powered Games) as well. That one actually managed to get out before LOL/DOTA2 as well.

I think Monday Night Combat (and Super MNC) also count. They got out way ahead of the rest of the third person shooters arena battlers as well but still failed. The first MNC was really good though but it fell off really fast for some reason. I don’t think people liked SMNC?

On April Fools day this year, Path of Exile (a free to play Diablo-alike) introduced a full featured “Royale” mode, 100 player free for all PVP battle on a small island. It was just for the day, but it was successful enough they are probably going to refine it and bring it back occasionally as a special event.

Guardians of Middle-earth was shockingly well designed for a MOBA on console, but they relied on a P2P networking model that the x360 and ps3 (and maybe their shitty netcode, idk) were utterly incapable of handling. Played fine pre release and utterly didn’t work in the live environment. Darn shame, that was.

I really miss Monday Night Combat. It was one of my favorite games for a while.

I mean that’s also basically what killed Demigod on PC. Unfortunate, since it was the only fun MOBA ever made.

Dawngate was absolutely excellent. I miss that game a lot.

Demigod was a nice game, but they didn’t take the number 1 feature of MOBAs: big choice in character selection. It only had 8 characters, 10 with two new ones that they released near their support cycle, while other mobas have 50, 70, or more than 100 characters.

Same with MNC, it wasn’t “GaaS” enough, with a very limited character pool selection.

I’m excited for Dying Light: Bad Blood. First person, decent melee options, parkour, etc.

the new one that is being talked about is Rings of Elysium. It’s being made by Tencent (who made pubg mobile), apparently with help from the same pubg devs. I have seen some videos say the movement and gameplay is slick, and feels like a better pubg, which is interesting. If the developers really are working on a new game, that would be an annoying cash grab.

anyway, the game does look slick. I really like pubg but it needs to have “slicker” combat.

I’m simultaneously disappointed and excited that this thread is updated as frequently as it has been.

First time watching Ring of Elysium. I keep alt-tabbing back to the stream and laughing at some ridiculous knockoff feature.

is it a knockoff if it is being developed by the same company that developed the mobile game?

is a matryoshka doll of chinese knockoffs

Oh dear.

I am already tired of hearing of future royale clones.

So should we start an over/under time to shutdown for each new clone?

After ~100 games and about 10-12 2nd places and well over 25 times I made it into the top10 I might be done with this genre. And I wonder if the reason why I’m willing to quit could be one of the reasons for the genre’s popularity: craving…for this one goddamn victory. Or is it that the majority of players do actually win a game sooner or later? Maybe I just should overcome my need…

But it’s rather obvious that there are players that are far ahead of what I’m capable of. I can sneak my way to the finals… I can shoot some regular players… get 2-4 killls… but there is at least one player who’s way better. Playing a battle royale game comes close to gambling for me: measured by skill I’ll never be a suitable winner.
Meaning…, for me, battle royale is not fun for the shooting part, because shooting is rare and at my average guy’s skill level it’s very luck-related (>who see’s whom first, who got the better weapon and so on). So the shooting part isn’t that much fun after all. That makes me wonder if this genre is about dominating (small crowd) and…addictively hunting for a win… and maybe this last part (addictively) is what causes it’s popularity?

At least I’ve realized that I do like competitive pvp games. But I’m not sure about battle royale…

I had the same experience as you. Finally got a solo win and haven’t played solo in 3 months. I haven’t missed it. The win was completely random too. Waste of time.

Ice fishing game Ice Lakes now has a Battle Royale mode.