Gentlemen, start your photocopiers! Royale is the new MOBA

And that’s cool. Unlike Fortnite fanboys coming into the PUBG thread to shit on it, I don’t really begrudge Fortnite fans anything. It’s cool that different people prefer different games.

That’s almost never the case, though. Usually what kills you is bad aim and bad positioning and generally bad strategy, in the vast and overwhelming majority of cases.

I can count “I didn’t build gooder than the other dude” deaths on, like, one hand.

Also remember the flip side of building is destructability of the environment. Ever shot at a guy in PUBG who was behind a magically indestructible, impenetrable flimsy chair? That doesn’t happen in Fortnite.

The problem with PUBG is that it 💩s on itself through sheer (but extreme) incompetence at shipping workable game software. That’s my main beef.

Well, no, I haven’t. Pubg has many problems but I don’t find the lack of destructibility to be one of them. And really, the game is more about building than shooting. I watch steamers play fortnite and routinely watch people get trounched in a complex confusion of random buildings and walls. It just feels funky. Third person also inherently de-emphasizes the actual shooting. That’s probably the biggest reason I don’t like it. It’s not unfun and the combat can certainly be entertaining, but it lacks that certain feeling that PUBG has that makes it so interesting, even if the execution isn’t that good.

Having logged hundreds of hours, I can tell you that this is categorically untrue. If you suck at shooting in Fortnite you will fucking die, over and over, endlessly. Shooting and aiming skills are paramount.

Are there some players who are crazy effective at building? Sure. That is true. But in the vast overwhelming majority of cases, what kills you is bad strategy, bad positioning, bad aiming and shooting skills. (Or just being unlucky.)

Those 2 games are paced completely differently. I think of PUBG as more of a strategy/horror game, and fortnite as an arcade shooter.

Which is probably why I prefer pubg.

PUBG is a hidden object and time management game plus a shooter.

Yeah. Your skill at shooting things is paramount in Fortnite. The fact McMaster picked it up quickly with us is because he’s good at shooters.

Again, Epic is known for excellent shooting in their games. How that gets turned into some narrative that the shooting is unimportant boggles my mind.

It really is ok to say nice things about popular things. No one will think less of you if you do. It’s alright to recognize excellent game design even if you really just want a first person shooter like many others that also happens to be Battle Royale.

I fully expect the Call of Duty Battle Royale game to be quite good because those guys know how to make good shooting bits.

Except the COD BR map is much smaller than the Fortnite map, and the Fortnite map was/is already less than half the size of the PUBG map – the original ones anyway, I guess they eventually made an optional smaller map to compete better?

I would definitely need more than a shopping cart to traverse those maps…

Hoping for the day they make a game called Royale…with Cheese.

I remember resenting PUBG when it came out because that was all everyone was talking about. I don’t know why; maybe I was just feeling a bit counter-culture that day. Then I remember playing Fortnite at the suggestion of @Cathcart. I had a blast.

As I paid more attention, I noticed the PUBG people were taking apart Fortnite and its comical nature. So I was angry at those folks, because I can’t stand Rick and Morty/Star Trek/Star Wars gatekeeping bullshit about what people are “supposed to like” and why.

So then I had even less of a reason to try PUBG. It seems like some Fortnite people are now doing the same thing to PUBG, which is also a shame.

But yeah, the longer this popularity lasts, the shakier this bluehole v epic lawsuit becomes. This is a genre now. If I was outside, I’d put on sunglasses and request that you deal with it.

Also, I have to disagree with the idea that spamming building as the big key to success. All things considered, elevation and aim make the biggest difference between winning or losing a firefight. Then maybe gun choice, noticing your opponent first, shields, building, and then dumb luck.

If Fortnite didn’t have the resource collecting and building, I probably would have stopped playing by now. I’m an old man; shooters and fighting games don’t hold my attention long because my reactions suck.

But this is such a fresh take on an already new genre (if you don’t count Battle Royale the book or movie). It doesn’t matter if I win or lose; I’m just having fun playing. I look forward to other companies making their variation, but building and shooting down forts really creates separation in a room that is about to get very crowded and shooty.

From the guys behind Clustertruck:

It’s basically a joke game, but a relative well made one at that. It’s free for the first 100 hours, then it will be 5 bucks (“for keeping the servers up”).

Edit: why isn’t the link showing properly? If I copy paste it in another tab it works fine.

Totally Accurate Battlegrounds, fyi. Since the link is down.

Mostly I feel their development process is shamefully bad. I’m a semi-famous software developer by trade (look me up on Wikipedia, god dammit) and this tugs on both the software developer “be good at your damn job” and the gamer “if you have a great game, you have a great responsibility” heartstrings for me.

My main shooter is csgo, and fortnite heavily de emphasizes shooting in comparison to that. Pubg at least tries to be realistic and focus on the shooting and sound based tracking. Fortnite has a crappy theme, it’s got some interesting ideas but is just not really a competitive, sound based shooter like pubg, csgo, rainbow siege etc. Obviously, it isn’t trying to be. But it certainly deemphasizes shooting in comparison. That’s the entire point of building.

You sure about that?

Sniping dudes on a glider is fucking bonkers

I disagree entirely with your post and I think you’re letting the look of the game blind you to how it actually plays.

Again, this game is made by one of the greatest shooter companies of all time. Of all time!

It’ll never be Rise of the Triad, but I guess it’s okay!

They could easily add Dog Mode and Drunk Missiles to Fortnite. :)

I think that saying that fortnite isn’t like the games he mentioned is pretty fair. CS:GO, PUBG, are pure shooters focused on gunplay. (I would say siege focuses on a lot outside gunplay, so probably not a good comparison there, as you can “build” a bit in that game too)

We are talking about ridiculous twitch games like CS:GO and less twitchy more simmy PUBG, they are night and day different than Fortnite as shooters in general. PUBG uses physics based bullet simulation for one, and CS:GO uses crazy speed and meticulously plotted maps to inspire twitch gunplay.

And to a degree we are talking FPS vs Third person, because high level PUBG is a lot of aiming down sights/scopes in first person, making it more of an FPS than fortnite.

Fortnite is a sandbox, where you can shoot crazy good or build crazy good or both. It isn’t a pure competitive sound based shooter. And it probably would be a worse game if it was focusing on the shooting. The reason why Fortnite is so good and popular is that it does so much more than just shooting.

Yes! Very succicent. I don’t think it is necessarily a bad game (other than the theme). It’s just not a competitive shooter. Yes, shooting is a large part of the game but there is much more important aspects here. The best shooter of all time imo is Counter Strike, as it’s maintained competitive balance and a very interested competitive format for many many years while continuing to evolve. I mention Siege because it feels like an evolution of counter strike to me, just in a different direction. Fortnite reminds me more of a console shooter, especially the locked third person perspective.

I’d also call pubg a twitch shooter, as there are a lot of situations where you are close together or need to have reactions. It’s well blended with the long range combat. Fortnite technically requires that skillset too, but it’s played out far differently from other FPS games. It’s just really my cup of tea. I think the main reason it’s popular is because the theme attracts kids, and it’s a much more polished battle royale than pubg. seriously, the net code in fortnite is miles ahead of pubg, which is sad. That’s why I’m eagerly awaiting the 2nd generation of battle royales. I think both Fortnite and pubg will have to compete with whatever big company does it well, although Fortnite will always have a niche because it is free and already well functioning.

For sure. The thing I really like about PUBG is how different it is from most shooters. (Admittedly I love the ARMA franchise and Day Z) I love how each drop feels like a new episode in some sort of horror game. You never know if the house is abandoned. Did they intentionally leave the doors open? Did they shut the doors to hole up? Was that a car I just heard outside? PUBG paints a very particular sensory experience that just isn’t matched in most other shooting games. Even CS:GO is not the same. To me, CS (I have played since 1.6 in high school) is the purest twitch shooter. It is all about the flick shot and knowing your corners/map layout. The fastest hand wins. PUBG is about planning, positioning, and shooting in locales that constantly change (as the circle changes) that means no 2 games end in the same place. Every experience is unique. CS:GO is about mastering your control over the weapons and the map, and executing the skills of aiming and shooting the best.

Fortnite BR is about shooting, quick building, knowing the map layout, planning strategies for skirmishes (very much like pubg) but with a different physics system and shooting mechanics that are purposely looser, as you need to be able to build and shoot to effectively dominate Fortnite. You have traps (VERY FUN) and rockets, grenades, etc… Fortnite lowers the realism and racks up the variety.

I would say this is also why I can’t play COD online. Battlefield is fun, a bit arcadey, but still fun. For some reason I can’t play battlefront at all, I just don’t like how the gameplay feels.

I have gotten really into Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, as I used to play a lot of those BF realism mods and got way into Red Orchestra.

I think of Fortnite of a shooter closer to Unreal Tournament, which trades off realism for variety. You still have your instagib railgun moments, but you also have bouncing grenades and flak guns.

I wish I liked Fortnite more, but I really can’t get into the shooting and building, and I don’t like the third person stuff (I play PUBG pretty much exclusively FPS) Epic’s support has been top notch, and their community engagement, leveling, seasons system is superb and light years ahead of PUBG, but I just can’t stick to it.