Gentlemen, start your photocopiers! Royale is the new MOBA

Epic’s dev process or Bluehole’s? Sorry, just for context, I meant in that quote you highlighted that I didn’t enjoy Fortnite players dumping on PUBG.

And just to fix my ignorance, when you say sound based shooter, do you mean a specific niche I’m not aware of, or is the meaning literal where good sound is crucial to being stealthy and to locating your enemies quickly?

Yes. A lot of PUBG is positional awareness, and sound is a big part of that. Fortnite is less focused on this aspect, as it is less of a simulation.

This is absolutely unequivocally… wrong. Sound is HUGE in Fortnite. Different materials make different sounds, the faster you walk the louder your sounds are, and a few months ago they patched in sound differences for above vs. below, as well (typically when you’re in the same structure, or someone is in a structure next to you). With headphones on you have a very good idea of where people are.

What might be confusing is that the pace is so much faster (less “oh gee, now I have to wait 15 minutes to even get to combat again, so I’m gonna be xxxtra careful”) and the map is about half the size, so there’s definitely less sneaking in general.

Fortnite is nowhere NEAR as based on sound as these other games. Usually you can see people in the distance without trouble in fortnite because of them building or because the play area is pretty smooth without that many obstructions. Compared to a game like pubg (almost all location of players is done by sound and gunshots, even in the distance) or csgo / siege (MUCH MUCH more based on sound, not even comparable to fortnite at all), fortnite is not a sound based shooter. Another example might be Escape from Tarkov, which I’d consider a battle royale of a different flavor. It’s based on sound to a ridiculous degree, to where a lot of the gameplay is really about patience and listening. That’s what I’d call a sound based shooter. I don’t doubt that sound is important in Fortnite, it’s just not really THAT focused on sound. CSGO on the other hand, is essentially completely impossible to play without sound.

Fortnite isn’t a bad game. It’s just not really a twitch shooter, it’s not a sound based shooter, it’s in its own quirky category of shooters. I also wouldn’t put a game like CoD or Battlefield in the sound based shooter genre

I really can’t disagree more with some of these posts about Fortnite. Sound is absolutely vital in all the same ways it is in PUBG. I bought new, better headphones to play the damn game!

I think the confusion is that you’re saying sound is implemented improperly in Fortnite – it isn’t. It’s actually freakin’ fantastic, as I said:

different materials make different sounds, the faster you walk the louder your sounds are, and a few months ago they patched in sound differences for above vs. below, as well (typically when you’re in the same structure, or someone is in a structure next to you). With headphones on you have a very good idea of where people are.

However…

… it is true that patience is the opposite of what Fortnite stands for as a game. That’s why they have blitz mode, that’s why the island is smaller, and that’s why so much of the game is determined by close range shotgun battles. It’s a much faster paced battle royale.

There’s simply wayyyy less times you need to be careful or stealthy in Fortnite. So that’s true. But if you are stealthy, it definitely works, and in every game you spend a lot of time listening to (running) footsteps and gunfire to figure out where the baddies are. There’s almost no need for sneaking in a typical game, though.

Yes saying “less focus on sound” is unequivocally wrong.

I know that you love this game but bashing any light critique or observations feels a bit weird.

I am sure sound is important in fortnite “Is that the sound of a missile?”… Boom

But PUBG is built around sneaking, as encounters often depend on seeing your opponent first.

Fortnite has a lot more going on than PUBG, so I think it is fair to state that sound is less of a focus than in PUBG.

Without sarcasm, this is awesome. It reminds me of the StarCraft and Total Annihilation fanboi slapfights back in the late 90’s.

While the few of us Dark Reign fanbois sat in the back shaking our heads.

This is just plain wrong again. In every Battle Royale game encounters depend on seeing or hearing your opponent first. Getting the drop on someone is by far the number one most vital decider over whether you will live or die in ALL of these games. Weapon type and your proficiency are the second thing.

Sound is just as much of a focus. You know where to look for people based on sound first. Visual confirmation of people building things is absolutely important also, but you will hear the guns before you see the building happening in most cases. Also, building makes noise… knocking shit down makes noise. All these things give players away far quicker than any visual confirmation in Fortnite. Someone in a house wrecking it for materials is an immediate target.

Spend thirty minutes landing in Tilted with your sound turned off and see how long you last.

C’mon… there is just a lot of outrageous posting happening in this thread. They’re both great games.

I think that for some reason the term “less of a focus” is being confused with “not at all important”

If you look at PUBG, it is a game that has a lot less player option in it. You can’t build fortifications, you can’t knock down walls, it is all about getting the drop on people. This is why it is always terrifying each time you enter a building in PUBG, because about 70% of the time it is empty, and any small sound outside has you on high alert, because 30% of the time you either surprise someone, or they have been listening to your footsteps outside with a gun trained at the front door.

Due to the smaller map size, and the ability to create your own cover, this suspense is lessened (NOT COMPLETELY GONE) in Fortnite, because, as a player you have more defensive options, and you are more likely to see other players more often.

In PUBG, once you decide you have to run across that field out in the open, you have your ears perked up for gunshots, car noises, etc. You have to use your sound, because you don’t have any other tools to keep you safe.

I don’t understand the need to get so defensive about these observations, I have played both games, and I would say that a directional set of headphones is important in both games, but it is crucial in PUBG to keep you alive.

This also reminds me of another reason that I just can’t get into Fortnite (I play with friends online sometimes, maybe we should get a group going and I could get some tips) but I don’t like how small the map size is. I feel like I am always on alert, and that I just expect someone to always be within shooting distance of me. It lacks the peaks and valleys of action the PUBG has, it is all action.

The anti-Fortnite crowd sounds like the uptight anti-WoW-asthetic crowd from Asheron’s Call and EQ from back in the day.

I wish PUBG release in PS4, is atrocious that they are segregated to Xbox. Looks like vehicular combat could be fun.

we should at least be able to agree that Fortnite has a total garbage theme and aesthetic. It’s random, it’s zany, it’s clear designed to be attractive to kids (in the not good way). I don’t think it matters that much because there the gameplay is well fleshed out, and gameplay > theme. But it looks like total crap. That’s something I hated when TF2 started doing it, I hated it when LoL started doing it, the random skins that can be anything just ruin the look of games. I wish devs would just find a good theme and STICK TO IT! Dota is one example that is mostly fine on cosmetics looking in universe, with several exceptions.

I agree with Jon. The sound in fortnite may be important, but it’s not as life or death because you can always build around you and survive an initial engagement. It’s got a lot more defensive options. It’s also a lot easier to just see people before you hear them in fortnite. it’s pretty hard to miss if someone is getting into a fight in the distance because there is a lot of building going on. maybe you are listening for sounds at the very beginning of the game, but there’s just not as much emphasis in the sound as in “sound based shooters”.

as far as why we are arguing, I only hope that Fortnite is not considered the end all be all BR game. I think the formula is engaging enough that we will see another high quality semi realistic BR game. I wouldn’t want Fortnite to just take over and kill incentive for other BR games. I don’t think it’s doing that though. And after all, this is the BR thread. Everyone is pretty civil. I don’t see why its bad to compare games.

It have some stupid faces that are easy to hate, like Jonesy, … Ramirez face is somewhat tiring, too.

Half of the design looks very Clipart-ish. But everything have charm and personality, and feed from a huge collection of assets. And it shows. Many assets in BR only exist once, and many assets that exist in STW are never visible in BR… but they exist in the game and Epic can use them for events. Or to surprise, refresh the game.

So no, I don’t agree with you.

Lawbreakers was not has succesful Overwatch in part because cartoonish style is better than realist style. Cartoonist allow abstractions to be visible and abstract withouth much perception disonance. Cartonist allow to differenciate foreground and background better. Cartoonist is also more futureproff, age slower.

I don’t have a problem with cartoon visuals, overwatch is actually an excellently designed game in my opinion. TF2 also had great style choices before the cosmetics got big. It’s all the skins and the wacky outfits and weird hats and stuff like that that ends up muddling the theme and making it silly.

That’s also fair, because if you are caught in an open / weird / unfortunate area in pubg you are suuuuper fucked, whereas in Fortnite you can build walls to give yourself a chance of surviving. So the incentives are quite different.

Yeah, these ideas that “sound don’t matter” and “aiming don’t matter” in Fortnite are total bunk. As I said:

in the vast overwhelming majority of cases, what kills you is bad strategy, bad positioning, bad aiming and shooting skills

But in conclusion

This is also correct, Fortnite has stealth and incredible sound design and it all works BUT it’s also a dramatically faster paced game where you don’t need to be careful and stealthy nearly as much… so most people don’t generally bother. This is a true fact. If you give people the faster paced and cough more fun option of action, they are gonna take it 90% of the time.

That said, you can play Fortnite in a very stealthy way by skirting the edges and hiding in bushes / buildings until the final ~5 people and holy crap does it work. I’ve had one dude try to get in the same bush I was hiding in because he didn’t see me. That dude also got a shotgun blast to the face, in case you were curious.

Also, how to get a 75% win rate in PUBG solo… these rules feel generally applicable to most Battle Royale games to me?

I definitely do most of this when playing to win in Fortnite:

• jump as soon as possible to a lesser populated, uncontested area (gaining extra time, and having your back to a wall where there are definitely no enemies)
  • don’t use vehicles, they’re a dead giveaway due to noise
  • know where the big popular drop areas based on the flight path and avoid them
  • always skirt the bleeding edge of the circle so you know nobody is “behind” you
  • play the safest edge of the circle (again, based on flight path knowledge)
  • play the shallow / skinny (slow collapse) side of the circle unless it is on a hotspot
  • do not take a fight you don’t need to take if it gives away your position

The main difference seems to be distance of engagement (and vehicles, but that’s related). Shotguns are huge in Fortnite for a reason…

The thing most people forget in these games is killing people means exactly ZERO to you. The goal is to be the last man standing. You should always be thinking about how to do that, not how to eliminate other players. Elimnations are just a possible means to an end.

If you only kill one guy when two remain, you still win.