Geoguessr.com - The last game

26,901! And no searching…probably about as good as I’m going to do.

You forgot Australia. After playing a few times, I almost invariably plunk my guess in Australia for any long barren stretch of landscape with no other visual clues.

27630. Closing in on the perfect game. Damn mexico for having 2 towns with the same name…

Awesome, had a very strong opening when I picked out a spot in Israel near some ruins, but it went downhill from there. I imagine there being a time limit to it, but maybe there isn’t?

Happy with 10,122 points! The only one I missed terribly on was thinking something was in Hawaii, when it was actually another small island in the south China sea.

I kept choosing Mexico for those, but invariably it was always Australia.

The give aways are what side of the road the cars are on if there are any in shot. RHS and dusty and red = MEXICO or BRAZIL. LHS and dusty and red = AUSTRALIA either Western or South.

Had the perfect game going, and the 5th and final shot was inside some sort of banquet hall. Based on the middle eastern decor I chose a random spot in turkey, turned out it was in greece…

My personal rules:

1. Using anything outside the browser tab is cheating. If you can get a road number and/or the name of a town it’s ok to zoom in and scroll around the Google Maps pane, but actually typing in a search is out of bounds.
  2. Moving around is perfectly fine. Most starting points about the only thing you can identify is the biome, and that can’t even narrow it down to a continent.
  3. Once I’ve got a couple good clues, I’ll stop moving around and take it to the map. A distance marker, a highway number, a language other than English or Spanish…

Edit: OK, I think 28064 is my best so far. Nailed 4 of them within a kilometer, using the rules above. The one in West Texas was tricky because it was in Shit-O-Vision, but I was able to identify it as West Texas from the terrain and was barely able to make out highway numbers. Luckily, I was within a mile or so of an intersection of two US highways. The photography was so bad that I still had to approach the intersection from all the angles to get legible numbers though.

The only one I really missed on was yet another Scandinavian scene. It was the fifth one and I just kind of gave up and plunked my marker down on Stockholm on the (mistaken) idea that the signs were in Swedish. I have a hard time telling Swedish from Norwegian. On the other hand, I managed to nail the Botswana marker within SEVEN METERS. I started at the entrance to the airport, which helped a lot. I just had to confirm the country and city names, and to be absolutely sure where the airport entrance was, I was fortunate enough that the cafe across the street had an entry.

Anyone nailed a target closer than seven meters?

Edit 2: 9539 for no movement allowed either.

A very clean looking 10,000+. No street signs to help. http://www.geoguessr.com?v=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%3D

First picture of the night and it opened exactly in front of an easily recognizable landmark. I shall endeavor to persevere!

My best so far, 15403. I love this game sooooo much.

5 meters. I have a screenshot :).

2nd game and without googling anything, just panning around and hoping desperately for signs. The Portugal/Brazil one amuses me quite a bit.
http://www.geoguessr.com?v=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%3D%3D

Does everyone in Japan read english now? I’m surprised how many signs and adverts are in both.

I’m kind of surprised at how many second-rate American brands there are overseas. I had one nice picture of a downtown in Korea somewhere, I think, and there was a Bennigan’s on the corner. And I saw a Kenny Roger’s Roaster somewhere in, I think, Malaysia.

I’m actually kind of proud of this 11000 score, considering it was nothing but pure guesswork because every single one except the last was a stretch of nothing with no landmarks I could get to with over a minute of just following the road. Then the last one was this:

I mean, wtf?

That reminds me of one I got in the middle of nowhere on a gravel drive that essentially turned into a wide pathway. I kept telling myself “There’s NO way that Google went down this route,” but I could see the shadow of the camera device on top of the van almost the whole time. I really have to wonder about those camera people, sometimes.

I got one that was obviously in an airport, but the pictures were so sheared that I couldn’t identify anything. I ended up pulling some .ae URL off a billboard, so I thought it was Dubai… but it was not. About 1500 pts close, IIRC.

Also, strangely enough, I got a place that I was sure I had actually been to. Turns out, I was right and I had been there, but apparently I didn’t spend enough time to get the spot precisely.

Sheesh, this game sometimes it trolls you. It put me in the middle of a snow sports station. No roads, just in the middle of snow and people skying. I just guessed Swiss and… bingo! :P

Then the magic disappeared because it gave me a image that also gave me two days ago. It’s not truly random then! It seems to use a database of preselected positions.