Geometry Wars Galaxies

Grid Wars 2 seems to work with just about any controller. Also unlike the PC version of Geometry Wars, it seems to work period.

Dude, shyeah, like, it was exactly the same. Except on a non-competing platform, and based on a game THEY DID NOT WANT TO MAKE MONEY FROM.

Of course, that’s also not considering the fact that Bizarre Creations did not take Incitti up on his offer to change the graphics, which were, you know, the entire issue behind Bizarre Creations wanting to C&D the project.

Come on. BC’s story behind that whole deal was a load of crap on a cosmic scale.

Sooo… anyone played the DS version of this game yet? Wasn’t that supposed to come out at the same time?

Grid Wars superior.
Geometry Wars inferior.

Maybe if it supported my Xbox controller properly. But it doesn’t. Plus the graphics aren’t as good, unfortunately. But I’ve heard the gameplay is deeper. But I can’t really test that well because without dual analog sticks, the controls on Grid Wars suck. :(

My keyboard seems to function just fine.
And I find no lackluster in graphics.

So has anyone even seen Geometry Wars Galaxies out in the wild yet? I checked several stores on Black Friday, and no one seemed to carry Galaxies.

Also, whats a good place to check to see if the game supports the Gamecube controller? NeoGAF? Any place else that talks about Wii games a lot? Some sort of Nintendo equivalent to Xbox.com?

EDIT: I found this page that says the game doesn’t include Gamecube controller support. Only the classic controller. I guess that makes it a $60 game for me. Not worth it. Hopefully it’ll be ported to the 360 at some point. If not, I guess I’ll wait for it to hit bargain bins for the Wii.

I picked up the Wii version (at Gamestop) on Wednesday. It’s really, really good.

Hmm, Best Buy is showing it in stock for the Wii and 11/29 for the DS. Worth waiting for the DS version?

Have they ever stated why it wasn’t developed for the 360? It did really well on XBLA so when I saw a sequel was being made I was expecting to be able to play it. I’ll have to try the DS version I guess.

One of the new enemies in GW:G is the mine layer. These guys (they nearly always appear in groups) are invulnerable and kill you if you touch them. Big surprise there. But they move around laying mines to which you are impervious. If you move over a mine, it flashes for a moment and then explodes, also detonating any nearby mines. Typically a single mine explosion clears the entire board of mines. Enemies, too, since they are not immune to the mines’ blasts.

Another new enemy is the generator, which appears and repeatedly sends out waves of enemies until you destroy it. Another new enemy I don’t know the name for; I just call it the eye. These flying eyes swoop in from outside the playfield and swoop out the other side, avoiding your fire. They’re worth big points.

Combine these with the new x150 maximum multiplier, and you can earn over 200 million points in an instant.

Got this for the DS for xmas, and it’s awesome!

I got it for the Wii for xmas. Along with a classic controller so I won’t have to play with the wiimote.

Excellent so far.

The graphics aren’t as good as the 360 version of GW:RE obviously, but they come fairly close. I love the new enemies I’ve encountered so far, some of whom were mentioned by BobJustBob a couple of posts ago.

The leaderboard is a major disappointment though. I went to the leaderboard hoping to find BobJustBob, to compare my scores to his, but first of all, in order to see the leaderboard, they make you sign on using the wifi connection in every single scenario separately. And after you look at the leaderboard, you have to disconnect from the wifi connection and confirm the disconnection every time too. So it’s a real pain in the ass.

The worst part is, once you do look at the leaderboard, you can’t go up and down the leaderboard. You can only view the few people around you, and the top 10 players. So I can’t scroll along the list to find someone I’m looking for.

Plus, as you know, the Wii doesn’t really have a unified friends list, and this game doesn’t have a personalized friends list, so you can’t really compare yourself to people you know unless you happen to score really, really close to them, or if they scored in the top 10 in the world.

Plus this game must not be doing very well, since I always seem to score around 200th in the world in every scenario. Some higher, some lower. But obviously, not many people got this game, which is a shame. After Super Mario Galaxy, I think this is by far the most fun I’ve had on the Wii.

Yeah, the Leaderboards aren’t great. And actually I don’t think I have a single score on them yet, since I did most of my initial playing at my parents’ house over Thanksgiving and then was having massive internet problems until a week or two ago.

The game is still great though.

I’m pretty impressed with the DS port. It’s Geometry Wars on the DS. The various planets make it great for pickup and play bite sized gaming too. It’s missing the cooler effects like the grid warping etc, but it still looks nice with the vector graphics. Managed to get it to slow down a bit when things get really crazy. Also it plays rather well with the stylus. Now I just need to figure out which drones I like.

I played through the entire DS version and really liked it. Couldn’t help but feel that it was missing something though. The currency seems pretty worthless once you hit the 150x on each level but I never stopped trying to collect as much as possible. Just wish there had been more to buy, or more levels of each drone to unlock.

You played through the entire DS version!? Do you have prosthetic hands, or did you get them when you finished the game?

The DS and Wii versions were just released in Europe. I got the DS version first. I love the basic gameplay, it’s a solid implementation, but I get hand cramps before I reach a gold medal! The DS just wasn’t made for such frantic gameplay.

So since the gameplay is so good I got the Wii version next! Sadly I don’t have a classic controller so I tried to play with the bemusing wiimote controls. I can see that I might figure out how to play that way, once I’ve reached the 10th level of Zen enlightenment or something, but in the meantime I think I’ll try to get a classic controller instead.

Yeah, while I think the Wiimote allows much more precise controlling, I have a hard time keeping it up for any length of time.

Yeah, when my brother told me he was buying me Geometry Wars: Galaxies for Christmas, I told him to also get me a classic controller, or not to bother. So he got me both. Much more expensive for him, but a big win for me. I was going to stay away from the game solely for that reason, since I already spent over $30 getting a gamecube controller and a gamecube memory card for the Wii so that I could play VC and GC games, both of which work with the GC controllers.

The only reason for getting a classic controller is for Geometry Wars: Galaxies. I know I can use it for VC games, but I prefer the Wavebird I have for that.

The problem I’m facing now in GW:G is that even though I was ecstatic with the game’s different levels at first, I’ve run into some levels that I don’t find very fun at all. And the completionist in me keeps me playing the same levels over and over trying to get medals on these levels I’m not having fun with, instead of moving on. I know I should just move on, but I every time I start the game I think “I’ll trying a few more times, maybe I was just approaching it wrong”.

I especially hate the mine layer enemies. You can’t shoot them, but if they touch you you’re dead. So I keep running into them and dying.

This crap annoys me to no end. I still have my GC controller and Nintendo could make it work with VC games just fine, so why couldn’t they make it work with ALL games that use the classic controller? Now it turns out there’s no classic controller to be had until the middle of Februrary, so I’m importing one from France.

Of course if you wanted to play a Gamecube game you need the Gamecube controller, because in that case the classic controller won’t work! Bah.

I especially hate the mine layer enemies. You can’t shoot them, but if they touch you you’re dead. So I keep running into them and dying.

I haven’t met those guys yet. What about the sweeper and ram drones, can they kill mine layers?

Nothing can kill the mine layers, but they move pretty damn slow.