Getting a passport in a big damn hurry

WA State enhanced ID is going to be way cheaper. $15 if you already have a WA state drivers license. The downside is that the 2-3 weeks processing time pushes your timeline and I’m not sure if you can rush it.

the rush fee is very, very steep. I think you can get a 48 our quickest turnaround but you’re spending a small fortune to do it.

I’ve used this several times. It’s great if work is picking up the tab. They also assist with visas for specific countries. These guys notify you of each step of the process, call you when they are shipping, tell you when the package is due, etc.

That being said, they are not cheap.

This. Recently had to renew my passport and I only had a four week window. With overnight shipping both ways and expedited service I had it in a week. I nearly fell over when I got the envelope. The government can move quickly?

It moved so quickly that it never showed up in the passport office’s online tracking service, which takes a week to kick in (!?).

Sneak across the border and then show up at the US consulate and tell them you lost your passport.

Call your congressman. This sort of patronage is what they rely on to get re-elected. Do NOT mention the word “hacking” as you did in the op.

Or Beardyman. They could assume he’s some sort of terrorist.

Oh God, that’s all I’d need.

OK, epic win time! vitalchek.com came through in a huge way – got my proper CT birth certificate yesterday via FedEx, so was able to get the expedited passport application in today. Since I need it exactly three weeks from tomorrow, I’m probably good. I will be sure to keep you updated though :-)

Thanks for all the advices, sane and otherwise.

Any reason why you are choosing the more expensive passport option over the much less expensive Enhanced Drivers License?

Are you talking about the NEXUS card? It is by no means quick to get:

A few weeks after your NEXUS card application has been submitted, someone will contact to arrange an interview.

Interviews may be conducted by both a Canadian and an American border representative separately and generally last about a half hour in total. Questions focus on citizenship, criminal record, border crossing experiences. Authorities will also explain the legalities of bringing items over border.

EDIT: Nevermind, you’re talking about the little guy!

No, he’s talking about the Enhanced ID/Enhanced Drivers License that Washington state offers (and apparently some other border states too).

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/edlget.html

Very neat, and convenient. I wish we could all to that method.

I just wondered because its WAY cheaper and still offers a 2-3 week turnaround, which fits Repo’s schedule. Seems crazy to pay for a fast passport service in comparison.

I wasn’t paying for a fast passport service, just for expedited service from the State Dept. Only an extra $72 (on top of the $110 base fee).

The Enhanced Driver’s License seems cool and all, but I have never had one before, whereas I have gotten into Canada and back with a regular passport. I’d rather not inject any more random factors than I possibly can, especially since I’m now probably fine time-wise anyway. Still, thanks for the suggestion.

…hmm, now I actually went and looked at the links and this looks like a no-brainer. I’ll go ahead and do this also just in case the passport falls through. Thanks!

And they give you a handy, foil-lined sleeve to carry it in, so miscreants can’t read the RFID chip!

Gah. I only ordered one certified birth certificate. BIG MISTAKE. I had to send that one in my passport application (yes, the original), so now I don’t have one with which to get an Enhanced ID – yes, they require you bring a birth certificate as well! (Or a passport…)

So no Enhanced ID for me. It’s passport or bust. Ah well, worst case is the passport is too late and I miss the Vancouver show. At least I’ve been getting a lot of hacking done and the project is coming together, so the deadline has been helpful anyway :-D

Just entered my email address into the online passport status tracker. They probably only got it in the mail yesterday, so won’t hear back until mid-to-late next week. Don’t worry, I’ll bump this thread the second anything happens.

I sent my paperwork in on 8/11 with no expediting or anything special and I got my passport today, 8/26. So they’re flying through them.

I got it a week ago, so that is awesome – they were indeed flying through them.

AND Beardyman himself actually wants me to demo my hacking project to him tomorrow afternoon up there, before his evening show!!!

So not only did I get the passport, I got The Meeting with The Man with The Beard!

“Psyched” is a thoroughly inadequate word for my feelings right now. Thanks for all the help, and all the snark, too :-D

Awesome. I sent my old passport in for renewal for a trip in mid-November. It feels weird to not be able to leave the country on a whim (not that I ever did, but it’s nice to have the option).