Getting less fat in 2017... With technology!

As much as it sucks to hear (it did for me), you may want to consider muscle building as well as cardio. I tried to lose weight about 18 months ago (40lb, it worked and it’s still off, so that’s something), and I had a hard time losing weight past the first 15lb until I started going to the gym to lift weights.

Building muscle broke the plateau and let me cruise down to my target weight in a few months - I averaged ~ 2lb/week of loss until I was where I wanted to be. You will feel a lot better because you’re lighter, and if you throw some muscle on, it’ll make you feel even better. I feel like I lost ~ 10 years along with the weight. As someone who was firmly anti-gym and against lifting weights, I found much to my chagrin (and my wife’s reminders that she had indeed told me so) that it really does make a huge difference.

As for tools: definitely a scale to track your weight, and any app or spreadsheet to track it. Measure weight daily - it’ll go up and down (due to variance), but the trajectory will be pretty clear if you’re doing it right. My wife swears by having her iPhone on her at all time for step tracking, as it does as good a job as the fitbit she had, and it was one less thing to remember as she uses her phone to listen to podcasts anyway. Other than that, the tools you use aren’t particularly important - what’s important is that you’re consistent with your plan.