Getting less fat in 2017... With technology!

I’m not sure what your point is here or why I’m fat out wrong. I’m aware of excess carbs being turned into fat, and I’ve no doubt eating nothing but butter will be terrible for you (dur). I agree on those points. I didn’t say eating fat and carbs together is bad. That depends entirely on what carbs, what fats and in what quantities. A big block of cheese with sugar on top is a far cry from wholegrain cereal with skimmed milk! But avoiding carbs altogether still doesn’t sound like healthy advice for weight loss. I mean, are you trying to say that we’re all being fed lies* or something? Where should I be getting my info from on this?

*Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Altogether is a relative thing. But I was referring primarily to the notion that one should avoid fat because it has twice the calories of carbohydrates. That’s a gross oversimplification of how our physiology actually works that had been shoved down our throats.

I believe that calories from carbohydrates should be listed separately in dietary info and people should be retrained to look at how many calories they are taking in ad carbs, but that’s not ever going to happen.

I hope some of my notes help, sorry for a bit of a dump, @inactive_user

I’m sitting at about 50 lbs down, though I was originally 65lbs down total. My goal is about 25 lbs away. My journey has been long. During each phase I’ve learned to adapt a little bit more with a different non-gaining calorie limit, exercise scheme, and lifestyle.

General advice:
Abs are made in the kitchen, muscles are made in the gym. I’ll extrapolate that a bit with another exercise, running. If you get off your butt and run 5 miles a day for one week, you’ll roughly lose 1 pound. If you’re relatively in-shape, that will take you roughly 6 hours per week to do (average 10 min/mile.) Instead, if you shave 500 calories a day, you can do the same thing. So roughly, dropping a can of soda at break, a roll at lunch, and a tiny cookie after dinner. Estimated time wasted to do that: virtually none. Put 5 times more into your diet than what you do into exercise, of any type.

Diet:
Pick what you can live with. Pick what you’re family and SO will not deter your from, and perhaps will even participate WITH you. It doesn’t matter what the foods are, the only real magic is calories in vs expenditure out. Your TDEE (look it up) is something you need to know. How much you take in now is something you need to know. If you can do low-carb, do so. If you can do low calorie, that works too. If you can simply cut portions, you might not only stop the gain, but might tip the scales and slowly lose as well.

Apps:
MFP is your friend as it can talk to most other apps/trackers/scales. Calorie intake logging really is something you need. Without it, you don’t really know what you’re doing wrong, or why you’re making progress.
[ANY FITNESS APP] can also be your friend, but don’t let it fool you into thinking you are doing well on MFP or otherwise. A fitness app should motivate you. If you want to be social with it, so be it. Just make sure you use it.

Gadgets:
A scale is a must. A digital one even better. One that updates your MFP/Phone is even better still.

Exercise: (@espressojim has the best advice)
If you’re just padding your daily TDEE and MFP goals, pick whatever you want to do. But here is one of my learned lessons, and this is as a 49 year-old man who wishes he had done it earlier. Go to the gym. Lift weights. If you have energy to burn after that, do some cardio. Anything else leads to, in my humble opinion, just leaving your shape the same, while whittling down all the edges. Lifting weights is really the only thing that will change your shape. I’m saying this because a lot of people, like me, diet because they don’t want to look like shit. Well, dieting will make you look LESS like shit. But if you want to change from looking like crap to something better, take the correct steps to do so. If you want to go down this path, let me know I can recommend several things to help. If you just want to run/walk/do steps/general cardio, by all means do so. I equate this to the FPS vs RPG debate. If you want to move around a lot, play an FPS. If you want character development, play an RPG.

I’ll add that if you lift weights, you lose age. I’m almost 45 now, and I feel like I’ve dropped a good 10 years in the last 1.5 years that I’ve been on this regime. Additionally, my energy levels are far more even through the day - I rarely feel tired at some point in the day (I used to take a nap in the afternoon if I could get away with it when I was overweight.)

Now, I’m lifting weights for about 40 minutes once every 3 days, and it’s plenty to keep me in maintenance - I’m at my target weight, and unless I start eating like a crazy person or become completely inactive I should stay here, so there’s no need to go crazy. You don’t need to be some crazy fitness buff who spends their week at the gym, you just need to be efficient while you’re there, and be CONSISTENT in staying on schedule.

Amen.

For me, 3-5 exercises, five sets each, 3 times a week, roughly 40-45 minutes depending on gym traffic. I feel SO much better, I look better, and I think what both of us are getting at is the boost in testosterone from the exercising. It makes you feel fantastic. I’m still overweight but I know diet/exercise will eventually get me there.

Does anyone have any recommendations for iOS timer apps? I’m away from the gym now, and I want to be able to do intervals, tabatas, and so on (all the crossfit stuff).

Bit Timer?

Most of my HIIT is via cardio, so I’m looking at a cardio machine timer the entire time. I can’t help much on crossfit timers.

Dunno if it’s available for iOS, but I really liked Impetus when I was doing cycling intervals.

On the “avoid carbs” thing, I did the Atkins diet about 20 years ago. What’s the modern plan for safely and sanely doing the keto thing?

Mostly similar from everything I read, though I chose low calorie this time around. The difference is that there are a lot more alternative product options if you chose that route. Keto macros are differnent from Atkins which was mostly just extremely low carb restriction if you remember. Keto is also a steady macro amount, where Atkins added carbs back over time.

EDIT: Sorry @Editer I should have mentioned that I too did Atkins many years ago and was moderately successful, but failed over the long term maintenance. This time around I chose a different diet.

I don’t think you have to go full Keto or nothing. The most probably biggest difference with Keto and low carb in general is simply that it lowers the raging appetite. That can happen just lowering carbs as well.

Or if you do move to full Keto you can do it gradually to avoid what most people describe as a rough initial transition.

Atkins (I think) coined that period with, “keto flu.” If @Editer has done it before, it’s not hard to get back into.

One of the benefits of both are that they have pretty well defined assistance docs/books/recipes/products, etc.

I realize this thread is a little old, but did you find headphones you like? I realize the thread is a little old and I haven’t read through the whole thing yet.

I have a pair of Aftershokz Bone Conducting headphones. I think they are what you might be seeking. Bluetooth headband that doesn’t block your ear canal, so you can still hear road noise.

The only downside I can think of is that since they need to press snugly against your skin, they compete with my glasses for ear real estate. I can’t really wear them with my normal thick rimmed glasses but my wire framed “sport” glasses aren’t so bad.

I never did find headphones I like any better than the shitty Bluetooth ones I already have, no. Then again, I haven’t looked all that hard as I’m still unemployed and not real likely to spend more than zero dollars upgrading my headphones until that situation changes.

I’ve looked at the bone conductance style before. I may check them out, I dunno. I hate things pressing on my skull back there.

Adam, did you pick up any apps that you’re enjoying for the exercise tracking? I’m always interested in trying new ones.

Yeah, the bone conducting headphones weirded me out at first too. I was really hesitant about buying them without trying them on, but ended up taking the plunge (figuring I could return them if I really hated them). The pressure with the pair I have is mild and is in front and slightly above my ears. It is a weird feeling, but I got over it quickly. I’ve even found myself wearing them around the house too, when doing housework so I’m not completely deaf while doing dishes or whatever. Of course YMMV.

Just Strava for cycling, really. I don’t have a fitness band, so that’s about as far as it goes. I just spreadsheet it up.

Well, Impetus for interval and stretch timing, but that’s not new either.

Is Impetus mostly cycling related or could it be used for intervals for anything?

There aren’t any safety concerns (any more o than any other major dietary shift). How much to curtail carbs really depends on how much activity you are doing. You want to be burning more calories than you are taking in through carbs and you will lose weight. If you want to stay in constant ketosis, you have to be more strict. I used to do that, but I don’t think it is necessary. if you are avoiding major sources of bread/flour/sugar/starch, you can lose weight doing modest exercise without being ultra-militant in my experience.

I’ve been doing this a long time now. And what matters most in the long run is making lifestyle changes you can live with over the long haul. One nice thing about the huge popularity low carb enjoyed as a fad is that there are some great food options now that didn’t exist before, like low-carb tortillas that actually taste pretty good and don’t have the texture of cardboard (La Tortilla Factory are my favorite). I also love the Kirkland signature protein bars from Costco (modeled after Quest bars).

It’s just an interval timer. Nice interface though, and quite configurable.