Getting sick from mild salsa?

I am hoping not to have to question your manhood here. Perhaps someone else will? ^^ /jk

The salsa I make usually has lime juice, so that extends the life a couple days in the fridge.

I have onions, garlic, tomatillos, tomatoes, and habaneros. I’m gonna have a fuckin salsa party.

I got the terminology wrong. Spices can act as preservatives, but “spicey,” as in hot, chili peppers do not.

I am eating the Chilis salsa now. I will report back on my findings. Detailed reports.

My bowels aren’t the strongest in general so this should be fun.

As random as it sounds, my GF is alergic to cilantro. Could this be your problem?

Oh, that reminds me. One time when I was at my parents’ house I was eating lunch with my mom, and halfway through the meal we noticed that the salsa we’d been eating was carbonated. Seriously, it had little bubbles trickling through it and it had a slightly alcoholic taste. We stopped eating it immediately, but it must have been a harmless strain of yeast because we didn’t suffer any ill effects.

Is that the sizzle you’re talking about?

I thought he was throwing up. Is a loose BM after eating a tonne of salsa surprising? Isn’t it full of insoluble fibre?

As I said, it was a small jar split into three seperate outings. Not a whole jar at once. We’re talking maybe half a cup of salsa in each sitting.

And for those that were confused, I didn’t throw up. Just had a sudden loose bowels episode in each case.

YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE SALSA!

Chilis leftover salsa was fine, even without refrigerating. I’m at hour 5.

Old El Paso Salsa serving size is 2 tbls. A cup an a half in a few days would give me a sore gut, too.

Do you wash your hands much? You’d be surprised how many people get sick (or suffer loose stools) from eating finger food with dirty hands.* It happens to campers and 3-day festival people (Darrington Rockfest, please come back!). I always bring sani-wipes and have never had a problem.

And tomato-based products are pretty easy to tell when spoiled. I doubt you’d get past a couple of bites before tasting the fermenting proccess at work.

*[Citation Needed]

Have you tried PMing jpinard? He knows a lot about salsa dangers. Alternately, you can try the nurse’s station at the Hormel plant in Minnesota.

For some reason this post reminded me of the thread about leaving M&Ms or Skittles or something in a tray in the bathroom. Whatever happened with that? Was there an update while I was out? WHAT THE FUCK PEOPLE

Hour 10, with some slight GI tract grumbling, but maybe that’s because all I’ve eaten today is orange juice, chips and salsa, a beer, and some leftover homemade macaroni and cheese. (I’m not normally like this.)

Local news media has contacted me to cover the story. That tropical storm is old news I guess.

It was altoids I think. And someone ate some of them.

I can only think of one exception to them not acting as preservatives: tumeric. I thought I knew two, but salt doesn’t count apparently. Spices are definitely known more commonly for making spoiled food taste way nastier, which is why I figured he’d be able to instantly recognize bad salsa.

If you’re talking about putting it in a burrito or something, then 2 tbsp is a fair serving size, but if you’re talking about eating it with chips that is woefully inadequate.

I agree, but that’s what the jar says. Still, I wouldn’t eat a cup and a half myself.

I guess some things just do it for some people.
Coffee does it for me. Have some coffee, gates of hell open in about 20 minutes.
Also however you call in english this kind of mayonnaise dressed salad that you are supposed to spread in a sandwich, well there’s a brand here that tastes great but always seems to cause that unpleasant effect for me.