Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Trailer

Livestream

Deep in the Pacific Ocean lies the fictional archipelago of Auroa, home to billionaire tech entrepreneur Jace Skell’s massive research complex. When the US army begins to detect strange activity coming out of Auroa, they send their absolute best to investigate. Enter Nomad, the fully customizable player character and elite Ghost from Ghost Recon Wildlands. Nomad’s reconnaissance mission quickly turns into a fight for survival when hostile drones shoot down the Ghosts’ helicopter. As the sole survivor, Nomad quickly learns that even the world’s most highly trained hunters can become the hunted.

Nomad’s warm welcome is courtesy of Cole D. Walker (played by Jon Bernthal), a former Ghost and brother-in-arms whom players first met in Ghost Recon Wildlands’ Operation Oracle. In Breakpoint, Walker has betrayed the Ghosts and now leads the Wolves, a hostile faction of elite ex-military soldiers who have captured Skell’s facility on Auroa. As former Ghosts, the Wolves are far deadlier than any threat Nomad has faced before, and thanks to their weaponized Skell drones, they’re also packing a technologically advanced force that outshines anything the Ghosts have access to. Outmanned, outgunned, and stranded on a chain of islands miles away from help, Nomad (and his fellow Ghosts, if you decide to partake in the four-player co-op) needs to survive long enough to take down the Wolves and protect the world from Walker’s growing army.

Always online required.

PS4, Xbox One, and PC (Uplay and Epic Games Store, but that’s Uplay too)

Most importantly, for vets of Wildlands to note:

You’ll no longer have a team of three AI squadmates (although you can still play in four-player co-op for the entirety of Breakpoint), so if you’re playing solo, Nomad will be truly alone.

This sounds interesting. I found Wildlands perfectly competent and more-or-less enjoyable while I played it - but once I was done the campaign, I pretty much never touched it again.

A grittier, more survivalist take on Ghost Recon could be really cool.

The ultimate digital edition is $120. Yikes.

Really good info in this vid by Drewski, who has played the game.

Hopefully ubi keeps the same voice actor as ‘male nomad’ in Wildlands.

Shitballs…

I’m thinking that’s the case, as you can see the squadmates from Wildlands being killed off in the trailer. So I assume that means Nomad comes through. I wonder if you can port your old character forward?

The premise doesn’t make any sense. Why not just send in the army instead of a few ghosts?

For that matter, um, we have satellites and recon aircraft/drones, etc. But none of that makes for an interesting game.

Watched the gameplay footage, and it just looks more like a regular Wildlands sequel than I was hoping - albeit still more interesting than that game.

Also, what is with Ubisoft and their insistence on always going with the most cringeworthy presentations imaginable? Their E3 conference is always filled with uncomfortable moments and gobs of hilariously fake co-op chatter of people using generic military jargon; and their presentation of the first look at this game made me laugh out loud a few times with the edgy jump cuts while they were talking, and some of the dialogue.

The whole Clancy/technothriller/crypto-fascist militarist self-pleasure genre is rife with awkward moments of faux-badassery and mass-market machismo. Still, I tend to enjoy games like Wildlands or The Division for their basic gameplay and gameworlds, which Ubi in particular does very well.

The rest of it, though, is often tripe or worse.

I’m definitely familiar with everything you’re saying here, but I wasn’t so much talking about that generic Clancy-verse macho nonsense, as I was Ubisoft’s general presentation across all kinds of games. The Clancy stuff always uses the awful scripted multiplayer chatter, but even their unveiling of Assassin’s Creed games have been complete facepalms in the past. Remember when they had Aisha Tyler “interview” their paid AC Syndicate cosplayer in the crowd one year, and it was the most awkward thing ever?

Every Ubisoft presentation is guaranteed to have a few moments where it’s almost uncomfortable how fake and/or “edgy” it all is.

Ah, gotcha. Never played the AC games, except I think I tried one or two of them for like three minutes.

You should play the AC games. They rock :)

No doubt. Next sale I’ll probably try 'em again. Which is the best, do you think, for some one with zero investment in the lore/story and who’s mostly interested in the world/gameplay?

BTW, in Wildlands, I think I am single-handedly responsible for 80% of the bodywork that needs to be done on cars in Bolivia. Also, something like a quarter of my deaths have been due to getting run over, twice by the rebels.

The technology gets steadily better over the series, but I would just choose a setting you like. Odyssey, the last one, is a romp through ancient Greece, and doesn’t require any particular grasp of series lore.

Both it and Origins (Egypt) have settings of similar scope to Wildlands, though Odyssey has a lot of island hopping.

Nifty.

How come no one sets vast, open-world games in say, rural Alabama?

Far Cry 5 :)