Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Yeah the graphics are absolutely outstanding. I remember when I first played it and was standing on a mud-spattered trail, with sunlight reflecting off a puddle. I honestly would’ve believed it was real.

I’ve been having a blast so far. It’s so fun to do sync shots and methodically clear out a base with silenced sniper rifles. Just a delight.

The overall setting and environment, despite suffering a teensy bit from perhaps too much variety overall, is so wonderfully executed, and makes such a great playground, that it is easy to forgive the idiotic enemies and contrived plots and stuff. Just tooling around doing stuff at random is wicked cool.

One of the AI must have rocket laucher use in their skill tree somewhere because every time I drive past a hostile vehicle it’s just BOOM and it’s gone.

My “favorite” is the way the game tracks your line of fire, which does not line up with your line of aim all the time. If you are prone or crouched in particular, and sighting over a ledge or rail, often your rounds will chew up the concrete or whatever, doing nothing but alerting the bad guys. That’s bad, but worse is if you are trying to fire a LAW…oops.

Finished the Sam Fisher DLC. After 183 hours total play now, do I really need to see the new Conquest mode…? Maybe!

Missed this - I would go with the lowest cost standard version. It’s plenty big, and various content drops are also available for it if you want them.

The AI squadmates are an interesting bunch. Once you get them upgraded a bit, they are pretty useful. The scanner that Fury has, FIxit’s drone, and Vasily’s “Penetrating Shot” (the thing that blows up vehicles, btw) are all useful. I do get tired of them reminding me to use my silencer or check for intel, and it is always hilarious to watch them be totally oblivious to bad guys standing right in front of them (luckily the bad guys are incapable of seeing them either it seems, until you start firing).

Weapon stuff is a mixed bag. I turn off gear score because it always seemed dopey to have different tiers of the same weapon, but that also removes one of the main rewards for exploration and looting. With enough Skell credits you can buy pretty much any blueprint, so other than a few mission-related rewards you will inevitably get whatever guns you want, when you want them. Which is fine. The challenge for me is that the differences between, say, different assault rifles are rather minimal, due to the need to balance everything (probably for the PvP stuff, which I’ve never tried). At least the varied attachments are kind of cool.

The game world though makes up for a host of sins. So many tactical options, and cool vistas. Though I really, really hate Ubi’s insistence that highly trained, physically fit special operators turn into stumbling buffoons when faced with even a slight incline. Sliding down a whole mountain because, well, reasons is a feature of all these games, GR and FC both.

At least Dani sounds like she’s having fun on her rear :)

And there’s this in tomorrow’s patch:

• Sliding:
    • Sliding was tweaked to trigger less often.
    • In moderate slopes, sliding is only triggered if the player sprints.
    • It takes slightly longer for sliding to trigger when conditions are met.

Is that for GR: B or FC 6?

Breakpoint.

Coolness, thx.

I tried this with $1 Ubisoft+ month promo a while back and I thought it was a competently bolted together shooter despite its warts. It’s only now that I’ve moved onto other shooters that I realised that it has somehow subconsciously raised the bar for the genre because I now find myself thinking “Breakpoint was alright but it at least had all these basic features that you’re missing”. I’m starting to think all the basic things it implements is actually a ludicrous amount of stuff and it’s because it’s actually done alright that it makes you think it could be great if they just added XYZ.

EDIT: Drone recon, stealth, silencers, multilevel zoom, weapon customisation, headshots, vehicles, multiple sets of squadmates, special abilities, outdoor open world but also building and base assaults…

I’m tempted to pick this up for the campaigns I never got around to like the rest of the Sam Fisher stuff, the Terminator things, the RB6 Siege chemical thing…but also wondering if the Rainbow Six Extraction is where the future of the single player “Tom Clancy” games is going. The new campaign for Breakpoint does mean that they might not be done with it? Or is it a last hurrah?

No-one knows, I don’t think. Tomorrow’s patch refers to making future updates smaller, which might imply there will at least be future updates…

I like this bit especially. Small, but it addresses a niggling complaint I’ve had for ages, like the sliding:

" * Distance and height conditions to trigger base jump have been lowered to allow more base jump opportunities.

• Jumping is now triggered by holding A (or X) when heading to a cliff instead of pressing A at the right time."

Same here. I think I attempted two base jumps, died in both and never tried again. Downloading now :)

This is pretty fun. I’ve taken over the first region. Might try a tougher one next.

The much heralded optical armour is notably less useful than the stuff my Wildlands character is wearing but gotta have something to upgrade…

47GB download. Oof.

Anyone know how to base jump using keyboard and mouse? I’ve ever successfully done so…

Just hold space while you approach the diving board :) I’m not sure if it can be done anywhere else.

So this looks neat:

CONQUEST MODE
Conquest mode is a new alternative mode to the classic GRB story mode. It is accessible via the objective board or the TacMap, right after the onboarding portion of the story mode. Players must conquer the island region by region and free Auroa from the clutches of the Bodarks with the help of the Outcasts and Karen Bowman.

You can do this once you’re done with the story right? Like I’m enjoying where I am right now and I can do this later, right? I’m a bit confused.