Ghost Recon Breakpoint

I found enough space on my hard drive by uninstalling a few things.

Beta installed.

Sadly, I can’t connect to Ubisoft servers, so I can’t get to even the main menu. I must have missed the limited time of the beta already. :(

Just a heads up, it’s still online I was just playing it.

I tinkered with the beta this weekend, and I can’t shake the feeling that I’ve already played it before. Probably a combination of too many hours in Jagged Alliance 2, Metal Gear Solid 5, and various Far Cry games.

I didn’t get a chance to try it again this weekend, since it was a busy Sunday. So no beta for me. I wish I’d been able to get in that night that I installed it, on Sept 7th.

This just looks like MOTS for Division 1/2 but set in Wildlands.

I hate the direction this series is going as not everything needs to be a fucking looter shooter RPG. And especially in a series that at least have tried to be somewhat authentic. Making the social hub (in a game where you’re supposed to be almost alone) and weapon levels, skills and whatnot makes me want to vomit, while fighting drones are just plain boring. Which means that most of the changes from Wildlands are a negative for me. Sure, some of the survival elements are intriguing, but everything else is, well, anything but.

This is a hard pass for me, and I played Wildlands a lot.

wow, looks like I’m skipping this one as well, unless they patch it post release to become more like Ghost Recon of old (i.e. tactical non-bullet-sponge shooter). And I played crap-ton of Wildlands, turned up the difficulty to one hit kill and played through Ghost Mode to Tier 1 (one life, no respawn).

Humans can still be one-shot in the head, but of course they sneaked in bullet-sponges by adding those drones.

I only got to play about 15 minutes of the beta but one thing that surprised me was how your character would just automatically get ammo and supplies just by walking near the interaction point. I am used to manually pressing a button to pickup gear. Not saying it is a positive or negative, just felt weird.

This is how I started playing Wildlands then got sloppy and died about a third of the way in. That was frustrating to have my character and save wiped so I went back and played on the highest difficulty but removed the ‘no respawn’ mode. When I did that I was actually having less fun since the extreme tension was removed and even though it was still the highest difficulty I suddenly felt like Rambo since I knew I could always just reload a save and carry on. Without the ‘no respawn’ I took more chances and played more aggressively but that actually drained the pleasure I had out of the game and I kind of drifted away abandoning it to play other titles.

I actually think I need to start again and re-enable the ‘no respawn’ mechanic because that forced me to play carefully, tactically, and kept the tension really high. Removing it really weakened my experience.

Protip for Ghost Mode: as long as you haven’t died, or isn’t down, then Alt-F4 out of Ghost Mode will NOT wipe your save. You will just revert to your last save point after restart. So if you are down, just wait for your AI teammate to revive you completely, then immediately Alt-F4, and you will be saved. (But keep in mind that AI sometimes cannot get to you, or they go down themselves and cannot revive you.) Or if you are in the red and surrounded by enemies, just pause the game going to the menu, and quit before you die. It will save your life.

If you messed up an engagement the whole base is in alert, just quit and restart. Don’t try to salvage the situation unless you are a badass or have a death wish.

Nice, thanks for the advice. That sounds like a perfect balance between keeping the high tension and risk while also having a potential lifeline if everything goes completely wrong or something accidental occurring like getting stuck in level geometry.

I may try that approach with a game restart.

So, there is hardcore mode where when you die, its game over, but now there are workarounds to make hardcore mode not really hardcore mode. I am not sure what the right word is to describe this. Why play hardcore mode at all?

Open beta soon. I think I’m sufficiently sold to skip this to stay fresh…

Seems to be the norm now for an Ubisoft game.

I feel no need to barrel through these games. I treat them like MMOs. I play them in chunks.

Disappointing. I just want to play games. The over-monetization of Ubisoft titles honestly confuses me and turns me off to the point where even if I do buy the game, I avoid all the monetization stuff even if there might be something there that I want. F2P MMOs do it, too.

While there is monetization in the Assassin’s Creed games, the single-player aspect of them makes it easier to get a handle on, probably because there’s so much less stuff to buy. I’m ok with that.

The monetization approach is changing too, as they now want you to stay on Uplay+ rather than just buy stuff.

I suspect if you don’t care about PvP, Breakpoint will be inoffensive from a monetization perspective. You’ll be able to go through the campaign, drop in/out co-op w/ your buds and never pay any mind to the loot. Not that the existence of in-game boosts won’t cause much gnashing of the teeth for some.

No open beta discussion? By the time I’d got round to installing it and getting it to run, I only had time to get to the first hideout, so I don’t really have any sense how it plays. Is there any point playing this solo?